Ohayocon 2011 AMV Contest

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Squancho
Org Profile

Re: Ohayocon 2011 AMV Contest

Post by Squancho » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:41 pm

I just wanna know possibly how my video ("I'm In a Cup") did overall.
There were supposed to be like groups of four videos and the fans would vote for their favorite within that group.
The overall winners were decided by a general vote among the group winners.
Kinda convoluted system but I hope it changes next year.
Zenkaikon
AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2013 - 2019)
Asst AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2020 - 2021)

ahinton
Org Profile

Post by ahinton » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:19 pm

First, I want to applogize for not getting back to everyone sooner. The afternath of Ohayocon for me was the following: I had a situation with my finances that needed to be delt with, a situation with contest that was brought to my attention after the fact, and finally I have been battling flu like symptoms, which I am still battling as of this writing.

HalOfBorg and Deuce - This year we did the contest based on what the audience thought was the top three videos of the entire contest. One of the reasons for this is that I got a lot of videos of a couple of categories and not enough of a couple of others. Among the several things I am taking a look at is changing the category names to see if that evens things out. I got a great post about that on Ohayocon.org's forums.

Deuce - You and I have talked about the system used for this past contest before, via personal e-mail, and rest assured your input is greatly appriciated. I do plan on making changes to the system and hopefully it is for the better. As for your video, I believe it did place either 5th or 6th. Overall it was well received.

Warlike Swans - Your subtitle was croped but only a little at the bottom. Still it was enough that I did get some complaint about that. I put the contest on a burnt DVD and I think the DVD player at the convention stretched the video out a little too much. I was unable to get it fixed and for that, I applogize to you for not giving your AMV proper justice. The subtitle issue is one of my main topics during my personal review. I hope you still consider sending your future AMV's to Ohayocon.

For everyone else, I will try to stop by and check your feedback on this forum. I can also be reached on my e-mail address:
amv2011.ohaycon@gmail.com or stop by the Ohayocon.org forums under the programming section.
Matsuricon V.E.S. AMV Contest Coordinator 2023
https://matsuricon.org/
amv@matsuricon.org

ngsilver
The Old School Otaku
Org Profile

Post by ngsilver » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:18 pm

Warlike Swans wrote:I think it said on their rules page that they were only going to award the 3 favorites.

I just read on their forum that the subtitles on our video (You Remain) and the Sonnet 71 video were cut off. Presumably everyone with the same aspect ration had the tops & bottoms of their videos cut off....

Makes me sad, I never expected to place, but I at least wanted to not place with a video comprehensible to the audience.
In the future, you may want to look into the 'Title Safe Area' when you are putting subtitles into a video destined for a convention. Especially if they are going to use a DVD to display the videos. Even some graphics cards also 'overscan' and in the process can cut off subtitles that were put in a video intended to be viewed on a computer screen that doesn't overscan. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safe_area
ImageImageImageImage

Return to “AMV Contests”