.MKV files not working

This forum is for questions and discussion of all the aspects of handling and cleaning up your footage with Avisynth.
TheRyuu
Org Profile

Re: .MKV files not working

Post by TheRyuu » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:37 pm

vlc blows

/thread

post-it
Org Profile

Post by post-it » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:44 pm

.. CPPP & vlc is a simple & trusted all-in-one solution from the old days.
There are better clsid's and a hand full of people still trust CPPP.

The simple truth of the matter is that "Any Player Should be able to play Any File"
when given the correct combination of Codec pack's.

. The problem at hand is not the codec packs but, "what caused your player to stop playing the files."

.. to be honest; this should "not" happen, ever!

... about the only thing that comes to mind is, "erase everything [ not backed-up ] and start NEW."

raiinbowstarsstudios
Org Profile

Post by raiinbowstarsstudios » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:24 pm

Gosh! Thank you for all the replies! I will try everything right away! If not, I will just redownload and start all over again!

Thank you for all the responses too. I was searching around for a while and I didn't see anyone else with this problem! ^^ Thank you!

requiett
Org Profile

Post by requiett » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:31 pm

Mister Hatt wrote:So VLC DOESN'T use an ancient stroke-error prone subtitle renderer? And it DOESN'T decode H.264 incorrectly? Not to mention it TOTALLY handles matroska timelines properly, which seem to be somewhat related to the problem the OP is having? Yeah, great suggestion! Holy fuck, you're either blind or have no idea what proper playback is.
Perhaps you can enlighten us with some interpixel cascading fusion?

Mister Hatt
Org Profile

Post by Mister Hatt » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:59 pm

Sorry, video nuclear theory is for advanced students only.

@post-it: tbh, most windows players are just an interface bolted onto libavcodec anyway, so they basically do what MPlayer does, but slower and not as well. DirectShow throws a few other things into the mix but all in all it's the same basic crap. People might say windows is the easiest system for playback but tbh, it's all copied from the POSIX world in the end.

Cannonaire
Org Profile

Post by Cannonaire » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:56 am

I have a very specific use for VLC - I use it to test my encodes and make sure they work perfectly. The reason is that if they play perfectly on VLC, they will most likely play perfectly everywhere else. What I'm saying is that VLC is the most likely player I have ever used to suffer from playback errors. VLC was the only player I tested which failed to properly play back an mpeg2 (.mpg program stream - very common and everything should play it perfectly these days). It also hurfs itself over any files I encode with x264 or mux to mkv.

I really can't recommend VLC for general playback use, especially when trying to play .mkv files with any sort of competence. I have to echo the previous suggestion of uninstalling all codec packs you have, using the latest CCCP (combined community codec pack) in conjunction with MPC-HC (included), and also installing the newest divx release (but don't use the divx player).

Just a note: One convention I go to appears to use VLC for the AMV contest, which means I have to make my videos work with the lowest common denominator. I'd bet it's not the only convention to do so. orz
Image Think millionaire, but with cannons. || Resident Maaya Sakamoto fan.

Return to “AviSynth Help”