Anime Los Angeles 2011 AMV Contest *WINNERS*

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Doomimus
Org Profile

Re: Anime Los Angeles 2011 AMV Contest *WINNERS*

Post by Doomimus » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:42 am

Hey, all. :)

Initially I thought my entries were disqualified because I wasn't able to attend the convention (my bad, didn't pay attention), but then I discovered, much to my surprise and delight, that one of my videos (or was it two vids?) made it in and was well-received.

I hope all works out well in the trolling debate.

Thanks,
Doomi
"A film as rich as a sauce béarnaise, as refreshing as a raspberry sorbet, and a lot less predictable than the damn food metaphors and adjectives all us critics will churn out to describe it."
-David Ansen on "Ratatouille"

THE M3RCENARY
Org Profile

Post by THE M3RCENARY » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:21 pm

Rider4Z wrote:
THE M3RCENARY wrote:I went to ALA 2011 and I loved the AMV's they showed there. Props to you guys.

I was kind of saddened when I saw on the ALA AMV Contest's rules that you can't have an intro because I had an awesome Idea.

I wanted to but part of the intro from 'Pulp Fiction" (where the couple were talking about robbing the resturaunt and finally doing it, bleeping the two cuss words of course, then the the song "Misirlou" comes on) The AMV was going to use "Dead Leaves"

Ugh. It was going to be cool.
you'll find that's a common rule among amv contests. mostly because the coordinators want a professional looking show and will make their own title slides and intro clips.

you can always still make the video and then upload it here....
Thanks for the help dude.

Off topic here, but did you see me at the con at all?

I was wearing a suit jacket, fedora, tie, and the only decent pair of Kamina glasses at ALA.

oh, and were can I find "Running Desperado"? I really enjoyed that AMV, but I cannot find it anywhere. That makes me sad face.

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:54 pm

THE M3RCENARY wrote:Thanks for the help dude.

Off topic here, but did you see me at the con at all?

I was wearing a suit jacket, fedora, tie, and the only decent pair of Kamina glasses at ALA.

oh, and were can I find "Running Desperado"? I really enjoyed that AMV, but I cannot find it anywhere. That makes me sad face.
no prob. no i don't remember seeing you but there were a lot of faces.

Ryvannis made Running Desperado but as far as i know it's not yet finalized. he'll upload it to his profile soon enough i'm sure.

THE M3RCENARY
Org Profile

Post by THE M3RCENARY » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:00 pm

Yuusharo wrote:
THE M3RCENARY wrote:I went to ALA 2011 and I loved the AMV's they showed there. Props to you guys.

I was kind of saddened when I saw on the ALA AMV Contest's rules that you can't have an intro because I had an awesome Idea.

I wanted to but part of the intro from 'Pulp Fiction" (where the couple were talking about robbing the resturaunt and finally doing it, bleeping the two cuss words of course, then the the song "Misirlou" comes on) The AMV was going to use "Dead Leaves"

Ugh. It was going to be cool.
Hm, well if your idea for an opening ties into the rest of the AMV, that's fine. One of our Pro entries this year was "Tomo's Gonna Stand Out" which you can find here, had an intro of sorts where Tomo is asleep and having a dream, with the entire AMV tying back to her in bed as though she dreamed the whole thing.

Stuff like that is fine. The only thing we ask is you don't put any sort of title or information regarding your video, like your studio name or something. We put our own cards up there that keeps every entry in the contest clean and consistent. But sometimes, there's even an exception to that.

Another example is our own Rider4z's "Lord of the Anime," which can be found here. This one was iffy, because the first screen you see is her studio name, followed by all sorts of information about the song, the anime used, etc. If memory serves correctly, we ultimately allowed it because the point of this sequence was to parody a movie or a musical sequence, which sets the audience up like they're about to see a stage performance with live actors and animation, rather than just another AMV. It was subtle, thought out, and different enough from merely putting random text in there that we allowed it.
Thank you for your very helpful info. Now I am motivated to make it again.

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:13 pm

Yuusharo wrote:Another example is our own Rider4z's "Lord of the Anime," which can be found here. This one was iffy, because the first screen you see is her studio name, followed by all sorts of information about the song, the anime used, etc. If memory serves correctly, we ultimately allowed it because the point of this sequence was to parody a movie or a musical sequence, which sets the audience up like they're about to see a stage performance with live actors and animation, rather than just another AMV. It was subtle, thought out, and different enough from merely putting random text in there that we allowed it.
THAT i did not know. glad you guys approved :awesome:

Yuusharo
Org Profile

Post by Yuusharo » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:33 pm

Rider4Z wrote:
Yuusharo wrote:Another example is our own Rider4z's "Lord of the Anime," which can be found here. This one was iffy, because the first screen you see is her studio name, followed by all sorts of information about the song, the anime used, etc. If memory serves correctly, we ultimately allowed it because the point of this sequence was to parody a movie or a musical sequence, which sets the audience up like they're about to see a stage performance with live actors and animation, rather than just another AMV. It was subtle, thought out, and different enough from merely putting random text in there that we allowed it.
THAT i did not know. glad you guys approved :awesome:
Glad we did, too! It went on to win best in category for Pro that year. Still mad at myself we didn't get to play it last year during the official contest, but at least it was the lead-in this year when everyone was getting seated. And everyone loved it.
http://www.youtube.com/yuusharo - YouTube Channel
http://www.AnimeLosAngeles.org - Anime Los Angeles AMV Events Staff (2008-2012), AMV Competition Coordinator (2015- )
http://www.Anime-Conji.org/ - Anime Conji AMV Events Staff (2013-2015)
http://www.Anime-Expo.org - Anime Expo AMV Events Staff (2015-2018)
http://SakuraCon.org - Sakura-Con AMV Events Staff (2016- )

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:44 pm

Yuusharo wrote:Glad we did, too! It went on to win best in category for Pro that year. Still mad at myself we didn't get to play it last year during the official contest, but at least it was the lead-in this year when everyone was getting seated. And everyone loved it.
forgiven! i was so stoked when the audience started clapping along XD i couldn't believe that.

Return to “AMV Contests”