Ore no Imōto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai

This section is for the rational discussion of anime on a series basis. Spoilers should be expected, but please be courteous to your fellow users.
Minimoto
Org Profile

Re: Ore no Imōto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai

Post by Minimoto » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:10 am

Well, the only ones I know willing would probably be the ones who translated volume 1, Baka-Tsuki. I would do it but I'm busy translating a visual novel.
Robert F. Young wrote:Day Before Yesterday I saw a rabbit, yesterday a deer, today you.

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:40 am

Minimoto wrote:Well, the only ones I know willing would probably be the ones who translated volume 1, Baka-Tsuki.
Actually, Baka-Tsuki is just mirroring Himatsubushi's releases. Dunno who is TLing it in the group, but editing is done by EvilLinkz. I guess you can ask him? :P

Jasta85
Org Profile

Post by Jasta85 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:07 pm

I would think novels would be relatively easy to translate. after all, manga needs to be scanned, translated, typeset, cleaned etc. with a light novel you pretty much just have to translate, and they are not really long either. any person who is bilingual in both languages should be able to do it I would think, or am I missing something?

Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:47 am

Jasta85 wrote:I would think novels would be relatively easy to translate. after all, manga needs to be scanned, translated, typeset, cleaned etc. with a light novel you pretty much just have to translate, and they are not really long either. any person who is bilingual in both languages should be able to do it I would think, or am I missing something?
That depends entirely on how one chooses to distribute the translation.

If you're going with text slapped on a website (perhaps a Wiki, or just plain HTML page), then it needs scanning (of the images, light novels aren't pure text), translation, and editing. If you're going a step further and doing PDF copies, there's also the need to typeset and actually construct the PDF.

Translators aren't as common as one might think, either. It's often hard enough just to get a translator working on a manga series, doujin one-shot, or anime series, all of which have far less to translate than a light novel does, at least on a time invested/translation output standpoint. I'm not exactly up on how long the common one is, but the examples I have seen are usually between 100 and 200 pages. 100-200 pages of mostly text*. And depending on the age demographic the novel is for, the kanji used may require much more experienced translators (this is often one major drawback to doujin translations, since many of those use Japanese that's idiosyncratic to their authors and don't provide furigana guides the way that mainstream shounen/shoujo does).

*The amount of spacing and page use can vary as well.
My profile on MyAnimeList | Quasistatic Regret: yeah, yeah, I finally got a blog

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Post by Kireblue » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:46 am

episode 12.5 is such a better ending than the original episdoe 12. Now we know what kuroneko meant when she said she'd be calling him by a different name. I can't wait for the other extra episodes and possibly a second season.

Minimoto
Org Profile

Post by Minimoto » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:30 am

kireblue wrote:episode 12.5 is such a better ending than the original episdoe 12. Now we know what kuroneko meant when she said she'd be calling him by a different name. I can't wait for the other extra episodes and possibly a second season.
If there is no second season I'm going to cry... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Robert F. Young wrote:Day Before Yesterday I saw a rabbit, yesterday a deer, today you.

Jasta85
Org Profile

Post by Jasta85 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:25 am

12.5 was definitely good, sadder of course but better, hopefully it means a second season is on its way. for a false ending i will say the original ep 12 was pretty well done though, this multiple endings make it seem sort of like a visual novel heh.

oh, looks like there will be 3 more web released eps after 12.5, definitely looking forward to em

ZephyrStar
Master of Science
Org Profile

Post by ZephyrStar » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:54 pm

12.5 was great. DAT KURONEKO. Too bad his sis had to leave right when they're getting along, but maybe she learns something overseas. And I won't have to listen to her for the next 3 episodes. :D

Sukunai
Org Profile

Post by Sukunai » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:12 am

Just started to check this out.

Few shows in and it is sort of that fine line between 'why are we watching this?' and 'damn, that poor schmuck' (and us laughing our asses off watching it).
Anime, one of the few things about the internet that doesn't make me hate the internet.

guy07
Org Profile

Post by guy07 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:09 am

So let me confirm this ... episode 12.5 is just an alternative to episode 12, with mostly the same content, right?

Return to “Anime Series Discussion”