Comic Books

Topics not related to Anime Music Videos
Knowname
Org Profile

Re: Comic Books

Post by Knowname » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:37 pm

dwchang wrote:-Gambit is back with the X-Men, but a few years ago he was actually with Apocalypse. I think he was trying to save them from Apocalypse by submitting to him, but he gets his brain messed with and becomes Apocalypse's new Death. After being a villain for awhile he eventually rejoins the team. Probably got "unbrainwashed' or whatever. I do remember him being with Mister Sinister during Messiah Complex but that might be because of something involving Rogue.
see this is why I couldn't get into X-men, the whole think sounded like a WWE storyline. I find Spiderman to be more down to earth. (Which is funny lol considering what you said about being down to earth xD)

since Brad had no clue about Genosha, I guess he didn't watch the Xmen cartoon as a kid :) only the first series was cool though. I don't know about the crap that came afterword lol
If you do not think so... you will DIE

Enigma
That jolly ol' bastid
Org Profile

Post by Enigma » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:29 am

X-Men Evolution was cool |:

Even though i watched it when i was 6 |':

Enigma
That jolly ol' bastid
Org Profile

Post by Enigma » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:30 am

On a serious note though, haven't read much in awhile. Was reading some old X-Men volumes i had from the early 90's my dad left me.

Fun stuff |: nowhere i can really find comic books to buy/read, since each one would be 5$ a piece

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:45 am

I found these two quotes to be quite amusing when put together...
Knowname wrote:see this is why I couldn't get into X-men, the whole think sounded like a WWE storyline. I find Spiderman to be more down to earth. (Which is funny lol considering what you said about being down to earth xD)
Knowname wrote:I like Spiderman... at least in the late 90s with all the venom and cloning and stuff. It was pretty cool. But I don't have the money for comic books any more.
So the Clone Saga (to you) is down to earth? Really? The Clone Saga is regarded as the worst era in Spider-Man history and the very reason myself (and many others) quit reading the book. It was so freaking ridiculous (i.e. the opposite of down to earth) and was basically a giant FU to anyone who had been following the book. "Oh you know that continuity you've been following for 20 years? It's not really Peter Parker...JUST KIDDING!"
-Daniel
Newest Video: Through the Years and Far Away aka Sad Girl in Space

Fall_Child42
has a rock
Org Profile

Post by Fall_Child42 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:55 am

What do you all think of All Star Batman?

I think its a great parody and satire of Frank Miler by Frank Miller.
It's definately worth a read as long as you don't expect to take it seriously.
I also reccomend reading all the Batman dialogue in the Christian Bale batman voice!

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:25 am

Brad gave me a quick run-down of stuff he's got and now I'm working my way through some of it. Read I Kill Giants, rather loved it - really a fairly non-cliche take on child psychology, without going over the top. Then went through the 4 currently-out volumes of Freakangels, really loving the hell out of that, especially the art. Now reading Superman: Red Son.
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

Knowname
Org Profile

Post by Knowname » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:56 am

dwchang wrote:So the Clone Saga (to you) is down to earth? Really? The Clone Saga is regarded as the worst era in Spider-Man history and the very reason myself (and many others) quit reading the book. It was so freaking ridiculous
lol I guess you caught me there. I tend to take fictitious crap as 'what if?' scenarios, but that's just me, and probably because I'm not too into it. The sad thing is, the Xmen what if's actually happens xD every tuesday and friday night xDD
If you do not think so... you will DIE

Brad
Org Profile

Post by Brad » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:23 am

Oh wow. Active thread again.

So, since my last update, here is what I have read.

Superman: Red Son (got for Christmas from André and Kiki)
Superman: Earth One
Cowboys & Aliens
Starborn - Issue #1
The Traveler - Issue #1
Soldier Zero - Issue #1-3
Morning Glories - Issue #1

I've been really damn busy over the last week or so (and will continue to be until Friday probably, working my full-time job during the day and then freelancing at night) so I haven't had much time to get into all the new Batbooks I got. The 2 Superman books I got though were absolutely awesome (ESPECIALLY Red Son... Holy shit. Such a brilliant premise and execution, and I adore how it ended. It did something that I tend to really really dig in fiction literature and it just totally grabbed me on the whole. I highly recommend it). Earth One was also extremely entertaining and I can see why it's getting so much acclaim. The writing, pacing, and artwork were all top notch. I'd have to say I preferred Red Son on the whole, but Earth One is high up there as well.

Cowboy & Aliens... it just... sucked. It was really damn lame. The beginning of it seemed really promising. It seemed like it was going to be this cool and deep philosophical journey, but it jumped ship really damn fast and just became.. well.. stupid :| Thankfully, at least based on the trailer, the movie doesn't SEEM to be following the same story as the comic, which makes me hopeful.

The single issue things I got were kind of impulse buys from the last time I went to Challengers. I had heard about the 3 new Stan Lee-helmed (but not written) series of Starborn, Soldier Zero, and The Traveler, and was relatively curious so I checked em all out, along with a series that simply had a cool looking cover (Morning Glories). Of all of them I'd say Starborn has the most interesting premise to me. The Traveler seems kinda... meh... I dunno... Probably needs a few issues to get me interested. Soldier Zero was pretty cool. A little gimmicky but, we'll see where that goes. Morning Glories seems like it'll either be really cool once it gets into the meat of the story, or be a mouthpiece for some annoying ass characters.
Ask Brad an After Effects Question! - Forum - Site

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:37 pm

Brad wrote:I've been really damn busy over the last week or so (and will continue to be until Friday probably, working my full-time job during the day and then freelancing at night) so I haven't had much time to get into all the new Batbooks I got. The 2 Superman books I got though were absolutely awesome (ESPECIALLY Red Son... Holy shit. Such a brilliant premise and execution, and I adore how it ended. It did something that I tend to really really dig in fiction literature and it just totally grabbed me on the whole. I highly recommend it). Earth One was also extremely entertaining and I can see why it's getting so much acclaim. The writing, pacing, and artwork were all top notch. I'd have to say I preferred Red Son on the whole, but Earth One is high up there as well.
Glad you liked them both. Red Son is probably my favorite "Elseworlds" (the equivalent of What Ifs in the DCU) and I obviously really enjoyed Earth One since A) it's my favorite writer and B) I recommended it to you :P. I hear they're working on a sequel and aiming for it to be released next year.

IIRC Red Son is written by Mark Millar who unfortunately is hit or miss. He's hit with things like the Authority and Kick Ass, but miss when he writes main stream stuff like Marvel's Civil War.
-Daniel
Newest Video: Through the Years and Far Away aka Sad Girl in Space

hasteroth
lost the bet
Org Profile

Post by hasteroth » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:10 pm

Ultimate Marvel. It is glorious. I've been reading every Ultimate Marvel Comic. I can give you a link and a reading order so you don't have to buy them all and figure out the right order to read them in.

Or if you only want to read one of them, read Ultimate Spiderman. There's also Ultimate Comics Spiderman which picks up after the end of Ultimate Spiderman.
<Hacchinya> Stirspeare: ambassador of gaysex
<Stirspeare> Hacchinya: God's own ambassador.

Return to “General Discussion”