RIP Captain Beefheart

Topics not related to Anime Music Videos
Otohiko
Org Profile

RIP Captain Beefheart

Post by Otohiko » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:41 pm

Many of you young'uns probably don't even know or care who we lost today, but I can't not post this, so here it is: one of the most important figures in music of the last half-century.

Don Van Vliet, aka. Captain Beefheart, passed away from complications associated with Multiple Sclerosis.

This is a real personal hit for me - the Captain had really opened up my mind to music and made me listen to it in ways I never imagined I could. He's always been really difficult for most people to understand, but to me he was a real shining light, too bright for the industry to handle - a truly weird and remarkable talent. He wasn't producing music in 30 nearly years, but I will miss him regardless :(((((

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... 9-20101217
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

Enigma
That jolly ol' bastid
Org Profile

Re: RIP Captain Beefheart

Post by Enigma » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:38 pm

:down: will give him a listen r.i.p.

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:03 pm

Beefheart's more outstanding records, by the way, the most notable of which would be Trout Mask Replica, are also known to cause violently averse reactions on first listens. I mostly thought he was hilarious at first. But it really did take many listens for me to really get my mind really blown by them. You have to give credit to his more remarkable band lineups too of course - the whole band would just play on a completely different level of connection that seems arbitrary at first, but if you listen carefully you realize just how carefully arranged and interlocked all the chaos in their stuff is. I know it can be hard to take music as ludicrous-sounding on first listen as this seriously, but I swear to god... once you 'get' it, you really do realize just how monumental Captain's musical achievements were.
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

ShatteredFlame
Org Profile

Post by ShatteredFlame » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:27 am

I always meant to listen to him, RIP

seasons
Org Profile

Post by seasons » Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:23 pm

ShatteredFlame wrote:I always meant to listen to him, RIP

Return to “General Discussion”