SSD editing?

EvaFan
Org Profile

SSD editing?

Post by EvaFan » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:47 am

Ok so I got a new comp on the way but I'm kinda knew to SSD's (don't know much about them if anything). I was planing to edit on them till i did a bit of reading about them.

I've read online that SSD's deteriorate the more you write/delete/write on them (I also read that if you're using windows 7, it slows the deterioration down) I really don't know about this stuff which is why I'm here.

Has anyone or does anyone know anything about editing source footage from an SSD? My new comp has a 240GB SSD for OS etc... and a 10krpm 600gb data hardrive but I'm wondering if putting the source on the SSD is worth it over time? Will I be killing the SSD too fast if I'm ripping and deleting anime sources too it? I don't convert the source to huge lag files, I just rip and edit with avs files so that saves some trouble. Usually the sources are only around 20-40gb. If I edit a bluray source, I'll be putting it on the data drive for obvious reasons anyway.
"The people cannot be [...] always, well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented, in proportion to [...] the facts they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions, it is lethargy, the forerunner of death to public liberty. What country can preserve its liberties, if it's rulers are not warned [...] that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants."-Thomas Jefferson

HalOfBorg
Org Profile

Re: SSD editing?

Post by HalOfBorg » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:09 am

http://www.google.com/search?source=ig& ... =ssd+video

There is a lot of talk about it going on out there.
Help HalOfBorg fight his cancer - http://www.gofundme.com/21ygdk

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

EvaFan
Org Profile

Post by EvaFan » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:25 am

Yeah, actually thats part of the problem. Lots of those threads are loaded with contradicting statements. I think my best bet is to just try it for myself unless someone here has been using an SSD for a while and would share their experiences with it. I'm going to try it atleast once with a small movie source just to see if it effects the overall process for the better, had same problem here with online threads (loads of contradictions between SSD and mechanical HDs). Was kind of hoping someone here would have tried it, for some reason I think I would have trusted someone here more than skimming through other places.
"The people cannot be [...] always, well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented, in proportion to [...] the facts they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions, it is lethargy, the forerunner of death to public liberty. What country can preserve its liberties, if it's rulers are not warned [...] that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants."-Thomas Jefferson

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:54 pm

1) SSDs have improved over the last few years. Most are actually rated to last longer than conventional platter HDDs. People form opinions based on shit they hear that's wildly out of date for this technology.
2) Holding clips is one of the least intensive things you can do with one.
3) You're only going to see the best performance gains by having your OS/software installed on the SSD. Using it for storage isn't going to get you anywhere. Large amounts of sequential reads aren't a bottleneck.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Return to “Hardware Discussion”