Comic Books

Topics not related to Anime Music Videos
Brad
Org Profile

Re: Comic Books

Post by Brad » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:56 pm

So Cal just got into town and one of the first things we did was take a trip to the comic shop. Here's my haul:

Batman: Hush
Promethea: Vol. 1
The Guild: Vol. 1 (for Liz mainly, but I'll probably read it as well)
Scarlet: Issues 1 & 2

Cal got
Preacher: HC Book Vol. 1 (pretty much trades 1 & 2, I think)
Fringe: Issues 1-4
Ask Brad an After Effects Question! - Forum - Site

Brad
Org Profile

Post by Brad » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:45 am

So I finished up the JMS run of Thor. It was indeed very epic and awesome. He did a good enough job of explaining things about past events that I wasn't too lost, but it definitely has made me curious about reading prior Thor stuff to get more of the story (things like Ragnarok and what-have-you). I'm considering checking out the Walter Simonson Thor run, which I've heard very good things about. Where did the story go from there in terms of like, which writer(s) continued the story or what were the arcs titled? The end of volume 3 leaves you kinda hanging since it seems like it's about to get pretty amazing. Made me wish he had continued it on.

I also read the first 2 issues of Scarlet and I'm really digging it. It's a really unique style/approach (at least compared to other comics I've read). I'm glad that I actually have a current running series that I can look forward to picking up new issues for. Also read the Guild GN, which was short and cute. It makes for a fun little lead-in to the web series. I just started reading Promethea and it's fairly promising thus far.

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:12 am

Brad wrote:So I finished up the JMS run of Thor. It was indeed very epic and awesome. He did a good enough job of explaining things about past events that I wasn't too lost, but it definitely has made me curious about reading prior Thor stuff to get more of the story (things like Ragnarok and what-have-you). I'm considering checking out the Walter Simonson Thor run, which I've heard very good things about. Where did the story go from there in terms of like, which writer(s) continued the story or what were the arcs titled? The end of volume 3 leaves you kinda hanging since it seems like it's about to get pretty amazing. Made me wish he had continued it on.
Glad you liked it. I unfortunately (or fortunately) stopped reading after JMS's run. I generally follow writers and I don't recall offhand who the author was. It wasn't anyone I usually follow so I stopped. However for all I know it might have gotten better or continued it. Good news is they're not that far along since that run so if you really wanted to continue, I don't think it's more than 5 - 6 issues (maybe a little more). I unfortunately also don't know what happened previously other than Ragnarok.

Anyway the good news is, you don't hate good writers :P. It at least gives me some idea what you may or may not like. If you can find it, you should check out JMS's Superman: Earth One trade (sadly on in hardcover). It came out a few weeks ago and got some critical acclaim (and sold out in most places). Good news is you don't need any prior knowledge since it's basically a standalone trade that retells the origin and whatnot. Well standalone until they just realized how good it was and are now making a 2nd to continue the universe. Sad news is due to the demand for a 2nd trade, JMS is going to stop writing monthlies for a year (which includes Superman) since DC wants him to start working on the 2nd trade ASAP.

Oh yeah you didn't update if you had read any new Batman or finished Green Lantern Rebirth or not. Maybe I missed it.
-Daniel
Newest Video: Through the Years and Far Away aka Sad Girl in Space

Prodigi
is the conductor.
Org Profile

Post by Prodigi » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:49 am

So since arriving in Chicago I've read:

FreakAngels Volumes 1-4 (epic.)
Batman: The Long Halloween (again, epic.)
I Kill Giants (one more time, epic.)

I've also started reading Preacher (finally: epic.)

Good times.

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:27 am

Prodigi wrote: Batman: The Long Halloween (again, epic.)
I just got one thing to say man:
"I believe in Harvey Dent."

Now you see where that slogan in the Dark Knight movie came from :P.
-Daniel
Newest Video: Through the Years and Far Away aka Sad Girl in Space

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:33 am

I believe in Harvey Dent

Brad
Org Profile

Post by Brad » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:56 pm

dwchang wrote:
Brad wrote:So I finished up the JMS run of Thor. It was indeed very epic and awesome. He did a good enough job of explaining things about past events that I wasn't too lost, but it definitely has made me curious about reading prior Thor stuff to get more of the story (things like Ragnarok and what-have-you). I'm considering checking out the Walter Simonson Thor run, which I've heard very good things about. Where did the story go from there in terms of like, which writer(s) continued the story or what were the arcs titled? The end of volume 3 leaves you kinda hanging since it seems like it's about to get pretty amazing. Made me wish he had continued it on.
Glad you liked it. I unfortunately (or fortunately) stopped reading after JMS's run. I generally follow writers and I don't recall offhand who the author was. It wasn't anyone I usually follow so I stopped. However for all I know it might have gotten better or continued it. Good news is they're not that far along since that run so if you really wanted to continue, I don't think it's more than 5 - 6 issues (maybe a little more). I unfortunately also don't know what happened previously other than Ragnarok.

Anyway the good news is, you don't hate good writers :P. It at least gives me some idea what you may or may not like. If you can find it, you should check out JMS's Superman: Earth One trade (sadly on in hardcover). It came out a few weeks ago and got some critical acclaim (and sold out in most places). Good news is you don't need any prior knowledge since it's basically a standalone trade that retells the origin and whatnot. Well standalone until they just realized how good it was and are now making a 2nd to continue the universe. Sad news is due to the demand for a 2nd trade, JMS is going to stop writing monthlies for a year (which includes Superman) since DC wants him to start working on the 2nd trade ASAP.

Oh yeah you didn't update if you had read any new Batman or finished Green Lantern Rebirth or not. Maybe I missed it.
Well, Vol. 3 of JMS Thor was issues 600-603 plus Giant-Sized Thor vol. something. So I can only assume that it goes on from issue 604+? In the "main" run they're at like 615 or something. But there's like a million different Thor stories going right now so who the hell knows. Why's it gotta be so messy?

I still haven't gone back to Green Lantern. I also did some research on the Batman & Robin books and found out where they fit into the Morrison-Batman-verse continuity. So I think I'm gonna catch up on those previous books, starting with Batman and Son. I know you're no big fan of his writing, but I figure I will at least give it a chance and make my own conclusions.

I picked ip issue #1 of a new series on Image called "27." It's still super early in the story but so far I really dig the style.

Brad
Org Profile

Post by Brad » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:07 pm

Okay. Update time.

I read the first two GL books (Rebirth and No Fear). Really really digging it. I will most definitely be catching up on this series (or, these multiple series).

I also pulled the trigger on some of the Grant Morrison Batbooks. I picked up what I'm THINKING will get me caught up on the current series (basically getting me up-to-date on the story leading into Batman: The Return (one-shot) and Batman Inc. So I got:

Batman & Son

Batman: The Black Glove
Batman: R.I.P.
Batman: Long Shadows (not Morrison, but apparently integral to the main storyline)
I still have the first 2 books of Batman & Robin ("Batman Reborn" and "Batman vs. Robin") from a while ago
And I have all 6 of the individual issues of The Return of Bruce Wayne

If I've done my research correctly, this SHOULD be everything... I've heard that I should also read Final Crisis, but... eh... I've had enough of crossover messiness.

Though on that topic, and to completely contradict myself, I picked up Siege tonight, based on a recommendation from the owner of Challengers. I was talking to him about the JMS Thor run which I really loved and I asked about the continuation of that storyline, and he basically said that Siege kind of wraps that whole deal up, amongst other things.

Aside from superhero stuff, I also picked up issue #1 of Lady Mechanika, since Ileia had bought issue #0 of it and I REALLY dug the style. It's one of the only current running steampunk style comics going right now and it's really damn cool. Also ordered issue #3 of Scarlet online since it's pretty much sold out in stores everywhere.

EDIT: So we just did our secret santa gifting dealie with the Chicago crew, and Ashley ended up getting me vol. 1 of both The Walking Dead and Y The Last Man, both of which I had been wanting to eventually read. When I lied down tonight I decided to read into Y The Last Man.... HOLY FUCKING SHIT it's so good! It might seem like a slight over-reaction to just a first volume, but seriously it hits on all the cylinders that I totally dig. I guess I really do like post-apocalyptic stories when they're told in a very interesting and unique way (same reason I really got into Freakangels). So yeah, I will DEFINITELY be picking up the rest of this series (and, wow, it's actually a full series I'll be able to read through and be done with. Although I kind of want to get the Deluxe Editions, and vol. 5 doesn't come out until friggin MAY of next year. WTF? Vol. 9 & 10 of the original trades have been out for a long time. Could they possibly be adding so much to the Deluxe hardcovers to merit such a huge gap between editions? Blegh.)

Knowname
Org Profile

Post by Knowname » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:23 pm

I like Spiderman... at least in the late 90s with all the venom and cloning and stuff. It was pretty cool. But I don't have the money for comic books any more.
If you do not think so... you will DIE

inthesto
Beef Basket
Org Profile

Post by inthesto » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:58 pm

I just did a ctrl+f for Lex Luthor: Man of Steel and found nothing.

Shame on all of you.
Sukunai, Real Canadian Hero wrote:Note to any Muslims present. Abuse a female in my presence, and you are being sent to a hospital emergency ward with life threatening injuries. And no human law will make me change my mind.

Return to “General Discussion”