Design and Layout Mock-ups...

Re: Design and Layout Mock-ups...

Postby Nya-chan Production » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:34 pm

Phantasmagoriat wrote:
Nya-chan Production wrote:
Phantasmagoriat wrote:But my question was more about what minimum profile information should be in the preview panel. We don't want to show all information, otherwise people won't go to the Video Profile page. Or maybe the entire video profile can be integrated into the preview panel. IDK what people would want.

I will reply with a question - what do you "need" there? :+)
personally, I like having all information at my disposal, but I know other people won't like the appearance of that :/

That's not an answer :nono:

It's not what you "like to have" there, but what you "need" there - what would damage the usability?
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view

Postby Phantasmagoriat » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:56 pm

Nya-chan Production wrote:
Phantasmagoriat wrote:
Nya-chan Production wrote:I will reply with a question - what do you "need" there? :+)
personally, I like having all information at my disposal, but I know other people won't like the appearance of that :/

That's not an answer :nono:

It's not what you "like to have" there, but what you "need" there - what would damage the usability?
Hey, I can dance around my own question too :P :3

It's hard to answer because if I'm doing a search, then I would "need" the Song/Artist/Anime so I can pop it into the search bar, but if I'm just viewing casually, I suppose the Title, Editor, Video-Window, Feedback-Buttons, and Playlist would suffice. Yet, I'm trying to compare this to popular media players like iTunes/Winamp that display all information at once. In theory, something similar can be done with AMV-viewing.
Org Profile | AMVGuide | Phan Picks! | THE424SHOW | YouTube | "Galactic Escape"

"Effort to Understand; Effort to be Understood; to See through Different Eyes."
Phantasmagoriat

Postby mirkosp » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:25 pm

Phantasmagoriat wrote:Yet, I'm trying to compare this to popular media players like iTunes/Winamp that display all information at once. In theory, something similar can be done with AMV-viewing.

I keep Winamp collapsed, so it only shows artist - title, not even the playlist. If I want to see the playlist or more info on the song/artist/album/year/whatevs I uncollapse it... so I think having the actual info just on the video page wouldn't be an issue. In the end it would be just an extra click for the user. Is having a "go to video profile" link close to the preview that bad? :uhoh:
mirkosp
MODkip

Postby Phantasmagoriat » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:15 pm

Depends. You actually have to stop the amv or wait until it's over before looking up the info. Which isn't a huge deal, but it could be the difference between looking up the extra info, or just moving on to the next amv. If it's all there, I think people are more likely to glance at the anime/music, or add it to their download queue. But that's just me.

Besides, what's so bad about having all the information in front of you :uhoh: :3

Phantasmagoriat

Postby godix » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:25 pm

Phantasmagoriat wrote:Major updates to my mock-up here:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15771457/ReDesi ... nPage.html

Better, but *WAY* to much info on the main page.

Remove everything in the right hand column, except perhaps new vids on the block.

There is no reason for the links in blue at the top, there is already a navigation menu.

Both banner stats and user stats should not be on the main page. It's arguable that they need to be anywhere at all, but definitely does not need to be on the main page.

While I like that there is now a video as the first thing you see, it's way too busy. I'd prefer just the video, a link to the vid's page, and the star rating/QC box. The screenshots, vid description, playlist, download links, etc. probably aren't needed on the front page. If someone wants that, they can click through to the vid's info page.

On a positive note, I do like the search being more integrated to the page, and right on top, like you have it.
godix
a disturbed member

Postby Knowname » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:55 am

I don't like tabbed because there's not ENOUGH information on the page, I think this mockup is the best compromise. Frankly, as far as the amount of info passed on, it's about like what we have now. I think he's just trying to display new ideas of doing things.

See with tabbed pages I can only have one tab open at a time (unless the page is cut off into multiple tabs, like a seperate one for each section... similar to linux desktops), I'd rather have expandable menus as we have now :x
If you do not think so... you will DIE
Knowname

Postby Pwolf » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:08 am

I was going to disagree with Knowname but honestly, for the member's main page, it think it's good. I was looking at it as if it was the main org index page. The member's main page should have all that information IMO. You've got a lot of stuff going on and a lot of stuff to get at from just one page without having to navigate through menus or other sub pages.

I think some of the stuff should be removed or at least moved. I think the "new videos on the block" can be thrown up where the "playlist" is. Allow the users to switch between their playlist and predefined ones like the newest videos.

I think announcements and news should be higher up on the page so users will see them.

Other then that, i like what you've put together, very nice.
ImageImage
ImageImage
Like the AMV .Org App? Think about donating to help me make it better.
Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle

Postby CastielTheFallen » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:20 am

Phan: I'm not liking the color scheme to be honest, the orange color really is coming off very ugly and intrusive. I was talking to NME and he suggested maybe using green as the primary color in the design. I agree with this.
DZ|BSP
CastielTheFallen
Prodigal Pen-Throttle

Postby Ileia » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:35 am

Yeah, I also find the orange to be rather agitating.
Ileia
CornDog Whisperer

Postby Phantasmagoriat » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:02 am

godix wrote:
Phantasmagoriat wrote:Major updates to my mock-up here:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15771457/ReDesi ... nPage.html

Better, but *WAY* to much info on the main page.

Remove everything in the right hand column, except perhaps new vids on the block.

There is no reason for the links in blue at the top, there is already a navigation menu.

Both banner stats and user stats should not be on the main page. It's arguable that they need to be anywhere at all, but definitely does not need to be on the main page.

While I like that there is now a video as the first thing you see, it's way too busy. I'd prefer just the video, a link to the vid's page, and the star rating/QC box. The screenshots, vid description, playlist, download links, etc. probably aren't needed on the front page. If someone wants that, they can click through to the vid's info page.

On a positive note, I do like the search being more integrated to the page, and right on top, like you have it.
Welcome to simplicity at it's finest: :beer:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15771457/ReDesi ... Basic.html
After all your suggestions, I just scrapped the sidebar entirely and reduced back to the current 760px width because it would have just been white space.

I'm gonna try to come up with a compromise that just shows the essentials without being too bare. But I admit, a design like this is very easy to navigate.

Also, I think got the menu bug worked out. |:>

Knowname wrote:I don't like tabbed because there's not ENOUGH information on the page, I think this mockup is the best compromise. Frankly, as far as the amount of info passed on, it's about like what we have now. I think he's just trying to display new ideas of doing things.
Pretty much. I'm just presenting ideas here. Pick and choose what you like, but please give me input everyone so the coders get an idea of what you want. :dino: (or draw your own mock-up)

See with tabbed pages I can only have one tab open at a time (unless the page is cut off into multiple tabs, like a seperate one for each section... similar to linux desktops), I'd rather have expandable menus as we have now :x
Why would you need more than one tab open at a time. Having all that expanded would take up too much space IMO.

Pwolf wrote:I was going to disagree with Knowname but honestly, for the member's main page, it think it's good. I was looking at it as if it was the main org index page. The member's main page should have all that information IMO. You've got a lot of stuff going on and a lot of stuff to get at from just one page without having to navigate through menus or other sub pages.
That's kind-of where I'm coming from with the current mock-up. There's a lot of stuff on the org. :amv:

I think some of the stuff should be removed or at least moved. I think the "new videos on the block" can be thrown up where the "playlist" is. Allow the users to switch between their playlist and predefined ones like the newest videos.
Yeah, I think I'm gonna cut the preview panel and turn the side-bar into a congregate place for suggested AMVs.

I think announcements and news should be higher up on the page so users will see them.
Yeah, I'm thinking right above the tabs.

Other then that, i like what you've put together, very nice.
Thanks. :wink:

Arashinome wrote:Phan: I'm not liking the color scheme to be honest, the orange color really is coming off very ugly and intrusive. I was talking to NME and he suggested maybe using green as the primary color in the design. I agree with this.
Ileia wrote:Yeah, I also find the orange to be rather agitating.
:rofl: the aesthetics is just an afterthought I'm playing with. The color scheme can be changed easily in the css at any time. I just used Orange and Blue because it's similar to the current site. I think the org would look good with some pastels/lights because those are the types of colors common in anime. I think that's why we have the current pinkish-orange in the header. But if you have ideas, maybe discuss them in the Design thread (what do you think of the textures/gradients/roundcorners?), or maybe someone should create a new thread for Aesthetics... IDK...

I'm glad to see people are starting to provide input. This is exactly what we need.

Phantasmagoriat

Postby godix » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:01 am

Phantasmagoriat wrote:Welcome to simplicity at it's finest: :beer:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15771457/ReDesi ... Basic.html

I like it. What is on it makes sense and should be on it. The junk that few care about, or at least wouldn't care to see constantly, is not on it. It doesn't require looking over tons of text to find the useful stuff. The menus seem to be laid out clearly than the current menus and includes the relevant and important things. Although the others have a point, the orange does look bad, but color is a cosmetic change. For the layout, I would be quite happy with this.

I don't have a strong opinion on the positioning of these really, but on an intellectual level I do disagree. I think the FP should be presented in order of most used to least. I very strongly suspect searching/watching videos is the primary things people want to do. Next most often would be QCs, ops, alerts, etc. Then last would probably be announcements which are changed, at most, once a month or so. Plus the news is usually things like the logo contest which, honestly, is no big deal if a user doesn't notice it. This is just a gut feeling though, if someone has some real stats on what the most commonly used elements of the FP really are then that should dictate the order.

That being said, as long as previews are kept above the fold and without scrolling needed to see it all then I'm happy. Beyond that, I won't argue the point.
godix
a disturbed member

Postby BasharOfTheAges » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:37 am

Data of the most used elements would be, unfortunately, skewed to the current reality of the layout. By establishing the mindset of "making these changes is going to cause drastic usage shifts" then we have to realize we're also implicitly saying that current trends are driven primarily by the current layout and are therefore not as relevant to the process as you'd think.

To put it another way - if you buy into the theory that the users are so simpleminded that they can't get past our current layout and need to change it (which i assume we all do because we have these threads and everything) then our current usage patterns are flawed data that should be tossed aside as a byproduct of our current flawed design.
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2014 & Head of the AAC Fan-works Theater - follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/AACFanTheater
:sorcerer: :sorcerer: |RD: "Oh, Action!" (side-by-side) | |
BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?

Postby Corran » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:54 pm

Some quick bug notes in primary demo:
  • In Chrome the stats do not line up with the banner in header causing the header to be about twice as tall as it is supposed to be.
  • In IE8, if you mouse out of an expanded menu directly onto the flash player, the menu does not always close.

Code: Select all
    <li><font color=#00ccff><center>_______________________<center></li>
    <li><center>EDITOR GUIDES<center></li></font>
  • Please use CSS for presentation. For this I would suggest using a <span>
  • Also the start font tag may need to go in front of the first list element. I think it is causing a bug in IE8 where the item occasionally stays highlighted blue.
  • You should change the font color of these list items on hover also, otherwise they become a solid block of blue when you mouse over them.
  • In IE8, the Community/Events and Help menus are not seperated by a white line like the others and Help is not aligned with the other menu items.
  • The text on the checkered background, especially the blue text above the video player in the basic version is difficult to read.
  • It is possible to select a blank item from the search drop down list.

I'll try to go into detail on the design ideas in general this weekend.
Corran

Postby Panky » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:29 pm

Am I the only one that thinks that the 2 info tables (banners and video ones up there), while they are pretty well positioned, most of the times are useless to be on the frontpage? Yes, if you were to put them on a separate page with all the info of the org, that would be good and some interesting info, but IMO they don't need to be stealing places in the frontpage.

I like where your design is going to. But I think there is still a big amount of tabs to where to go to do things that could pretty well be done in a same page. But it's not really css dependent but script dependent, and to put them all together can take some time.

Also, I really liked your full preview window with the info. It's a good way to put all the info in a little chunk of space and not make it bothersome. Annnnd, I think the only thing that needs fixing for this design is changing the title and creator when changing of video. Although it isn't that necessary for now and can be a bit of a pain.
Panky

Postby Phantasmagoriat » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:26 pm

godix wrote:

I don't have a strong opinion on the positioning of these really, but on an intellectual level I do disagree.
Yeah, I'm re-thinking that. Stars/QC's are used more frequently than Announcements, so putting Announcements below seems to make sense. In terms of gaining visibility, they can be integrated with Alerts: "Hey! did you notice the new announcement below? lolzorz"

BasharOfTheAges wrote:Data of the most used elements would be, unfortunately, skewed to the current reality of the layout. By establishing the mindset of "making these changes is going to cause drastic usage shifts" then we have to realize we're also implicitly saying that current trends are driven primarily by the current layout and are therefore not as relevant to the process as you'd think.

To put it another way - if you buy into the theory that the users are so simpleminded that they can't get past our current layout and need to change it (which i assume we all do because we have these threads and everything) then our current usage patterns are flawed data that should be tossed aside as a byproduct of our current flawed design.
You're thinking too hard Bashar. Do you, or do you not want a new layout? :3

Corran wrote:Some quick bug notes in primary demo:
  • In Chrome the stats do not line up with the banner in header causing the header to be about twice as tall as it is supposed to be.
Okay, I added a 15px margin-top to the stats, but the logo has always been taller than the banner, so the height doesn't really change. Then again I kind of like having a thick margin around the banner.

Corran wrote:
  • In IE8, if you mouse out of an expanded menu directly onto the flash player, the menu does not always close.
    Code: Select all
    <li><font color=#00ccff><center>_______________________<center></li>
    <li><center>EDITOR GUIDES<center></li></font>
  • Please use CSS for presentation. For this I would suggest using a <span>
  • Also the start font tag may need to go in front of the first list element. I think it is causing a bug in IE8 where the item occasionally stays highlighted blue.
  • You should change the font color of these list items on hover also, otherwise they become a solid block of blue when you mouse over them.
  • In IE8, the Community/Events and Help menus are not seperated by a white line like the others and Help is not aligned with the other menu items.
  • The text on the checkered background, especially the blue text above the video player in the basic version is difficult to read.
  • It is possible to select a blank item from the search drop down list.

• I'll try to go into detail on the design ideas in general this weekend.
    I'm a novice at html/css :nose: Thanks for the input and I'll keep these in mind, but most of the people affected are IE users :asd: Plus the real site coders are using their own flash content so these problems will probably be addressed. Some things should be easy to fix though.

Panky wrote:Am I the only one that thinks that the 2 info tables (banners and video ones up there), while they are pretty well positioned, most of the times are useless to be on the frontpage? Yes, if you were to put them on a separate page with all the info of the org, that would be good and some interesting info, but IMO they don't need to be stealing places in the frontpage.
    I think I'm going to scrap them in the next version. The org could use a separate Site Statistics page anyway IMO

Panky wrote:I like where your design is going to. But I think there is still a big amount of tabs to where to go to do things that could pretty well be done in a same page. But it's not really css dependent but script dependent, and to put them all together can take some time.
    I know what you mean, if you have any suggestions, I'm all ears :wink:

Panky wrote:Also, I really liked your full preview window with the info. It's a good way to put all the info in a little chunk of space and not make it bothersome.
    I knew someone would like the full preview window!

Panky wrote:Annnnd, I think the only thing that needs fixing for this design is changing the title and creator when changing of video. Although it isn't that necessary for now and can be a bit of a pain.
    Oh yeah, I don't really know how to change elements in the html using the content in the flash window. I'm too new to html/css/flash :sweat: but I'm sure the real site coders will have a way to display that information properly. If I had to take a wild guess, the links to the Video/Editor Profiles would be integrated into the flash window.

Phantasmagoriat

PreviousNext

Return to Org Redesign