Design and Layout Mock-ups...

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Re: Design and Layout Mock-ups...

Post by Nya-chan Production » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:34 pm

Phantasmagoriat wrote:
Nya-chan Production wrote:
Phantasmagoriat wrote:But my question was more about what minimum profile information should be in the preview panel. We don't want to show all information, otherwise people won't go to the Video Profile page. Or maybe the entire video profile can be integrated into the preview panel. IDK what people would want.
I will reply with a question - what do you "need" there? :+)
personally, I like having all information at my disposal, but I know other people won't like the appearance of that :/
That's not an answer :nono:

It's not what you "like to have" there, but what you "need" there - what would damage the usability?

Phantasmagoriat
Org Profile

Post by Phantasmagoriat » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:56 pm

Nya-chan Production wrote:
Phantasmagoriat wrote:
Nya-chan Production wrote:I will reply with a question - what do you "need" there? :+)
personally, I like having all information at my disposal, but I know other people won't like the appearance of that :/
That's not an answer :nono:

It's not what you "like to have" there, but what you "need" there - what would damage the usability?
Hey, I can dance around my own question too :P :3

It's hard to answer because if I'm doing a search, then I would "need" the Song/Artist/Anime so I can pop it into the search bar, but if I'm just viewing casually, I suppose the Title, Editor, Video-Window, Feedback-Buttons, and Playlist would suffice. Yet, I'm trying to compare this to popular media players like iTunes/Winamp that display all information at once. In theory, something similar can be done with AMV-viewing.
Org Profile | AMVGuide | Phan Picks! | THE424SHOW | YouTube | "Painkiller"

"Effort to Understand; Effort to be Understood; to See through Different Eyes."

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:25 pm

Phantasmagoriat wrote:Yet, I'm trying to compare this to popular media players like iTunes/Winamp that display all information at once. In theory, something similar can be done with AMV-viewing.
I keep Winamp collapsed, so it only shows artist - title, not even the playlist. If I want to see the playlist or more info on the song/artist/album/year/whatevs I uncollapse it... so I think having the actual info just on the video page wouldn't be an issue. In the end it would be just an extra click for the user. Is having a "go to video profile" link close to the preview that bad? :uhoh:

Phantasmagoriat
Org Profile

Post by Phantasmagoriat » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:15 pm

Depends. You actually have to stop the amv or wait until it's over before looking up the info. Which isn't a huge deal, but it could be the difference between looking up the extra info, or just moving on to the next amv. If it's all there, I think people are more likely to glance at the anime/music, or add it to their download queue. But that's just me.

Besides, what's so bad about having all the information in front of you :uhoh: :3

godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Post by godix » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:25 pm

Phantasmagoriat wrote:Major updates to my mock-up here:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15771457/ReDesi ... nPage.html
Better, but *WAY* to much info on the main page.

Remove everything in the right hand column, except perhaps new vids on the block.

There is no reason for the links in blue at the top, there is already a navigation menu.

Both banner stats and user stats should not be on the main page. It's arguable that they need to be anywhere at all, but definitely does not need to be on the main page.

While I like that there is now a video as the first thing you see, it's way too busy. I'd prefer just the video, a link to the vid's page, and the star rating/QC box. The screenshots, vid description, playlist, download links, etc. probably aren't needed on the front page. If someone wants that, they can click through to the vid's info page.

On a positive note, I do like the search being more integrated to the page, and right on top, like you have it.

Knowname
Org Profile

Post by Knowname » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:55 am

I don't like tabbed because there's not ENOUGH information on the page, I think this mockup is the best compromise. Frankly, as far as the amount of info passed on, it's about like what we have now. I think he's just trying to display new ideas of doing things.

See with tabbed pages I can only have one tab open at a time (unless the page is cut off into multiple tabs, like a seperate one for each section... similar to linux desktops), I'd rather have expandable menus as we have now :x
If you do not think so... you will DIE

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:08 am

I was going to disagree with Knowname but honestly, for the member's main page, it think it's good. I was looking at it as if it was the main org index page. The member's main page should have all that information IMO. You've got a lot of stuff going on and a lot of stuff to get at from just one page without having to navigate through menus or other sub pages.

I think some of the stuff should be removed or at least moved. I think the "new videos on the block" can be thrown up where the "playlist" is. Allow the users to switch between their playlist and predefined ones like the newest videos.

I think announcements and news should be higher up on the page so users will see them.

Other then that, i like what you've put together, very nice.

dreamawake
Prodigal Pen-Throttle
Org Profile

Post by dreamawake » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:20 am

Phan: I'm not liking the color scheme to be honest, the orange color really is coming off very ugly and intrusive. I was talking to NME and he suggested maybe using green as the primary color in the design. I agree with this.

Ileia
WHAT IS PINK MAY NEVER DIE!
Org Profile

Post by Ileia » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:35 am

Yeah, I also find the orange to be rather agitating.
:cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake:

Phantasmagoriat
Org Profile

Post by Phantasmagoriat » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:02 am

godix wrote:
Phantasmagoriat wrote:Major updates to my mock-up here:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15771457/ReDesi ... nPage.html
Better, but *WAY* to much info on the main page.

Remove everything in the right hand column, except perhaps new vids on the block.

There is no reason for the links in blue at the top, there is already a navigation menu.

Both banner stats and user stats should not be on the main page. It's arguable that they need to be anywhere at all, but definitely does not need to be on the main page.

While I like that there is now a video as the first thing you see, it's way too busy. I'd prefer just the video, a link to the vid's page, and the star rating/QC box. The screenshots, vid description, playlist, download links, etc. probably aren't needed on the front page. If someone wants that, they can click through to the vid's info page.

On a positive note, I do like the search being more integrated to the page, and right on top, like you have it.
Welcome to simplicity at it's finest: :beer:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15771457/ReDesi ... Basic.html
After all your suggestions, I just scrapped the sidebar entirely and reduced back to the current 760px width because it would have just been white space.

I'm gonna try to come up with a compromise that just shows the essentials without being too bare. But I admit, a design like this is very easy to navigate.

Also, I think got the menu bug worked out. |:>
Knowname wrote:I don't like tabbed because there's not ENOUGH information on the page, I think this mockup is the best compromise. Frankly, as far as the amount of info passed on, it's about like what we have now. I think he's just trying to display new ideas of doing things.
Pretty much. I'm just presenting ideas here. Pick and choose what you like, but please give me input everyone so the coders get an idea of what you want. :dino: (or draw your own mock-up)

See with tabbed pages I can only have one tab open at a time (unless the page is cut off into multiple tabs, like a seperate one for each section... similar to linux desktops), I'd rather have expandable menus as we have now :x
Why would you need more than one tab open at a time. Having all that expanded would take up too much space IMO.

Pwolf wrote:I was going to disagree with Knowname but honestly, for the member's main page, it think it's good. I was looking at it as if it was the main org index page. The member's main page should have all that information IMO. You've got a lot of stuff going on and a lot of stuff to get at from just one page without having to navigate through menus or other sub pages.
That's kind-of where I'm coming from with the current mock-up. There's a lot of stuff on the org. :amv:
I think some of the stuff should be removed or at least moved. I think the "new videos on the block" can be thrown up where the "playlist" is. Allow the users to switch between their playlist and predefined ones like the newest videos.
Yeah, I think I'm gonna cut the preview panel and turn the side-bar into a congregate place for suggested AMVs.
I think announcements and news should be higher up on the page so users will see them.
Yeah, I'm thinking right above the tabs.
Other then that, i like what you've put together, very nice.
Thanks. :wink:

Arashinome wrote:Phan: I'm not liking the color scheme to be honest, the orange color really is coming off very ugly and intrusive. I was talking to NME and he suggested maybe using green as the primary color in the design. I agree with this.
Ileia wrote:Yeah, I also find the orange to be rather agitating.
:rofl: the aesthetics is just an afterthought I'm playing with. The color scheme can be changed easily in the css at any time. I just used Orange and Blue because it's similar to the current site. I think the org would look good with some pastels/lights because those are the types of colors common in anime. I think that's why we have the current pinkish-orange in the header. But if you have ideas, maybe discuss them in the Design thread (what do you think of the textures/gradients/roundcorners?), or maybe someone should create a new thread for Aesthetics... IDK...

I'm glad to see people are starting to provide input. This is exactly what we need.

Return to “Org Redesign”