Design and Layout Mock-ups...

dokidoki
c0d3 m0nk3y
Org Profile

Re: Design and Layout Mock-ups...

Post by dokidoki » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:42 pm

Phantasmagoriat wrote:If the real coders decide to use a dropdown menu, I'm sure they'll find a way around that :sweat: . What browser?
Related... (though it should be simpler since we're dealing with our own flash content)
http://coding.scribd.com/2010/11/13/fla ... m-for-ads/
Image Image Image
"Comedy is a dying breed." -- kisanzi // "Comedy. Serious business." -- dokidoki

CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
Org Profile

Post by CodeZTM » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:47 pm

Phantasmagoriat wrote:
Also maybe [for non-donators] a big red/orange/whatever donate button somewhere to more actively show that we need/love donations. Something that nobody can miss and link it to a page listing all donator benefits.
IMO, a donate link next to the logout button is good enough, without being too intrusive.
Wouldn't the button being intrusive be the point? WE need donations to be functional and pay the server bills. It doesn't have to be in the method that I described, but a donation button [maybe an ad similar to youtube's ads] might be functional, and then being capable of ridding it by donating. Annoying, yes. Profitable, VERY YES.

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:49 pm

Phantasmagoriat wrote:
mirkosp wrote:another menu design choice would be more fitting for my taste to be honest. :uhoh:
like what?
I like side menus more than dropdowns, but if having them on the top is necessary, then perhaps one of those hide/show all dropdowns is better. I'm not sure it's clear... I pretty much mean that instead of having a single dropdown for every voice, we could have a single big one that shows up when you hover the mouse on any of the voices of the menu.

Phantasmagoriat
Org Profile

Post by Phantasmagoriat » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:06 pm

dokidoki wrote:
Phantasmagoriat wrote:If the real coders decide to use a dropdown menu, I'm sure they'll find a way around that :sweat: . What browser?
Related... (though it should be simpler since we're dealing with our own flash content)
http://coding.scribd.com/2010/11/13/fla ... m-for-ads/
I knew it was possible |:> Thanks doki

CodeZTM wrote:
Phantasmagoriat wrote:
Also maybe [for non-donators] a big red/orange/whatever donate button somewhere to more actively show that we need/love donations. Something that nobody can miss and link it to a page listing all donator benefits.
IMO, a donate link next to the logout button is good enough, without being too intrusive.
Wouldn't the button being intrusive be the point? WE need donations to be functional and pay the server bills. It doesn't have to be in the method that I described, but a donation button [maybe an ad similar to youtube's ads] might be functional, and then being capable of ridding it by donating. Annoying, yes. Profitable, VERY YES.
Well, okay I agree we need to improve the org's visibility somehow, particularly the site store which I think people are more inclined to contribute to since they are getting something in return. I just don't want it to seem forced. It's quite the pickle, so they say.

mirkosp wrote:
Phantasmagoriat wrote:
mirkosp wrote:another menu design choice would be more fitting for my taste to be honest. :uhoh:
like what?
I like side menus more than dropdowns, but if having them on the top is necessary, then perhaps one of those hide/show all dropdowns is better. I'm not sure it's clear... I pretty much mean that instead of having a single dropdown for every voice, we could have a single big one that shows up when you hover the mouse on any of the voices of the menu.
Okay, that makes sense because then you get a big overview of the entire site. I might look into that.
Org Profile | AMVGuide | Phan Picks! | THE424SHOW | YouTube | "Painkiller"

"Effort to Understand; Effort to be Understood; to See through Different Eyes."

8bit_samurai
Hmm...
Org Profile

Post by 8bit_samurai » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:20 pm

Liking the banner section and the search function below it, but the preview panel seems too much for the eyes and takes too much width space. At first I was going to ask what a preview panel would be needed for, but having one for a preview playlist would be neat on the members main page. That said, I would doubt we would need all that info considering it would be redudant, presuming we would have to go to the video information page to add the video to the playlist. If anything, the preview panel should be like the AMV spotlight on the front page, with a list of the queued videos on the right. I am also liking Zarx's version of the video info page too, but having a preview playlist would be neat, kinda like the download queue.
Under Construction

Phantasmagoriat
Org Profile

Post by Phantasmagoriat » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:33 pm

8bit_samurai wrote:Liking the banner section and the search function below it, but the preview panel seems too much for the eyes and takes too much width space. At first I was going to ask what a preview panel would be needed for, but having one for a preview playlist would be neat on the members main page. That said, I would doubt we would need all that info considering it would be redudant, presuming we would have to go to the video information page to add the video to the playlist. If anything, the preview panel should be like the AMV spotlight on the front page, with a list of the queued videos on the right. I am also liking Zarx's version of the video info page too, but having a preview playlist would be neat, kinda like the download queue.
Yeah, I was thinking I went a little overboard on the preview panel, and people might not even go to the actual Video Profile if all the info is there.

If the org did have a preview panel, what's information should be in it?

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:34 pm

Phantasmagoriat wrote:
8bit_samurai wrote:Liking the banner section and the search function below it, but the preview panel seems too much for the eyes and takes too much width space. At first I was going to ask what a preview panel would be needed for, but having one for a preview playlist would be neat on the members main page. That said, I would doubt we would need all that info considering it would be redudant, presuming we would have to go to the video information page to add the video to the playlist. If anything, the preview panel should be like the AMV spotlight on the front page, with a list of the queued videos on the right. I am also liking Zarx's version of the video info page too, but having a preview playlist would be neat, kinda like the download queue.
Yeah, I was thinking I went a little overboard on the preview panel, and people might not even go to the actual Video Profile if all the info is there.

If the org did have a preview panel, what's information should be in it?
Would probably differ over time - on VCAs there could be semifinalists and finalists, etc.

Phantasmagoriat
Org Profile

Post by Phantasmagoriat » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:44 pm

Nya-chan Production wrote:
Phantasmagoriat wrote:If the org did have a preview panel, what's information should be in it?
Would probably differ over time - on VCAs there could be semifinalists and finalists, etc.
Ooh, a seasonal thing would be great :up:
It would make the org seem like more than just a generic video site, and give people a reason to want to qualify for the VCAs.

But my question was more about what minimum profile information should be in the preview panel. We don't want to show all information, otherwise people won't go to the Video Profile page. Or maybe the entire video profile can be integrated into the preview panel and simply do away with Video Profiles. IDK what people would want.
Last edited by Phantasmagoriat on Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:45 pm

Phantasmagoriat wrote:
Phantasmagoriat wrote:If the org did have a preview panel, what's information should be in it?
Ooh, a seasonal thing would be great :up:
It would make the org seem like more than just a generic video site, and give people a reason to want to qualify for the VCAs.

But my question was more about what minimum profile information should be in the preview panel. We don't want to show all information, otherwise people won't go to the Video Profile page. Or maybe the entire video profile can be integrated into the preview panel. IDK what people would want.
I will reply with a question - what do you "need" there? :+)

Phantasmagoriat
Org Profile

Post by Phantasmagoriat » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:50 pm

Phantasmagoriat wrote:But my question was more about what minimum profile information should be in the preview panel. We don't want to show all information, otherwise people won't go to the Video Profile page. Or maybe the entire video profile can be integrated into the preview panel. IDK what people would want.
I will reply with a question - what do you "need" there? :+)
personally, I like having all information at my disposal, but I know other people won't like the appearance of that :/

Return to “Org Redesign”