Anime Los Angeles 2011 AMV Contest *WINNERS*

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
MikalSaltveit
Org Profile

Re: Anime Los Angeles 2011 AMV Contest

Post by MikalSaltveit » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:53 pm

Updated List: (new entries bolded)
Ryan Molina
David Nguyen
Erin Nguyen
Mike Hernandez
Nic Neidenbach
Isaac Fischer
Katherine Cullen
Jill Lanpher

Billy Taing
Victoria Galietta
Sean McPartland
Edwin Hollowell

I have recieved 15 videos. Please remember that videos I receive before December 1st have priority.

-Mikal
Last edited by MikalSaltveit on Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Squancho
Org Profile

Post by Squancho » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:05 pm

Not to mention it would take a lot of time and effort to research every entry that comes in just to make sure it hadn't competed elsewhere before.
As assistant DH of AMV for two conventions I thought I'd chirp to this tune.

I am personally in charge of trolling prevention. We have a rule that states, generally, if a video has won three or more major awards at other conventions it is disqualified. There's a topic in this forum for contest results and covers as many conventions that have registered with these forums from the past several years. I take the titles and creators' names and cross-reference them with only the winners. When any entrant to our contest is spotted among the results, it is flagged until I determine it qualifies. We, at Katsucon last year, had to axe a few on these grounds but it didn't hurt our entry count.

On the same note, this is why there's always more than two people running a contest / department: delegation of responsibilities. Time and effort are the responsibility of the contest administrators and shouldn't be used as an excuse to not keep the trolls at bay.

Also, this issue goes toward show quality. If there are videos in it that people have seen several times at other conventions people become disappointed. I know it irks me to see the same entries at every convention I attend (I go to six each year) and feel compelled to check the troll quotient when I get home. It happened at AUSA this year...twice...and both won their categories...again. I understand the viewers don't HAVE to vote for those but there are more who will vote for a favorite than think about how many awards it may have already won.

Having said all that, in summary, there are benefits and methods to curtailing troll activity. HOWEVER...I do take into consideration that, even though LA is a big place amid a densely-populated region, There are other factors that err toward the other side of this argument.

1. The mere fact one MUST attend the convention to enter the contest, proxy or no, will prevent a great number of people (such as myself) from submitting. I'm on the opposite coast - you do the math. :P
2. Given the above reasoning, the overall number of entries received is likely very low compared to a contest which accepts them from anywhere. You don't need math to figure out that two hours is gonna be extremely tough to fill with quality videos under those conditions.
3. This is but ONE convention among many in this country alone, never mind California. If the required attendance to enter is a problem, there's always another around the corner elsewhere.

In summary, I think that one rule about mandatory attendance will drive almost all trolls out of contention. At the same time, it also prevents a lot of legitimate contestants from entering. This issue is clearly, where ALA is concerned, "six of one, half-dozen the other." I just thought I'd lend some clarity and insight from a completely outside, objective view. Take it as you will.

Good luck to you all...
Zenkaikon
AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2013 - 2019)
Asst AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2020 - 2021)

Sephiroth
Org Profile

Post by Sephiroth » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:18 pm

Well i may only be able to attend sunday. i work most ever day of the week and sunday is the ony day i can possibly get off completely.

anneke
Org Profile

Post by anneke » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:27 pm

Not having a no trolling rule is also not much incentitive for a creator to enter. Why should I risk sending a video to the contest, when it won't have a fair chance with the audience because trolls are allowed. I may as just wait until I have a video that has won at one of the other cons and then submit it. Heck, because you have no rules about the age of the video, I have some old award winners I could send in. But not going to bother, because I don't want to risk it and have my hard work wasted. Which is exactly how I felt when I submitted a video, only to see it go up against a troll. Because sadly audiences suffer from mob mentality and they just vote for the troll again...
http://www.bakadeshiproductions.com
(Stop by for a different Video each month...)

MikalSaltveit
Org Profile

Post by MikalSaltveit » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:29 pm

And some of us believe submitting and then never even bothering to show up is trolling. It is lucky for all of us that there are so many conventions that this even becomes an issue.

Anneke, you always send us your worst work because you are afraid of losing. Get over it, and stop trolling the AMV Contest updates thread. If you want make suggestions we will make a thread for that later.

Attending one day is fine, you just have to stop by the AMV Booth at some point during the weekend.

-Mikal

Squancho
Org Profile

Post by Squancho » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:36 am

anneke...
I've only been making AMVs for 5 1/2 years and have learned a lot in terms of etiquette and protocol where contests are concerned (in case you didn't pay attention to my previous post).

One of those rules is, if a video doesn't win / make the finals for at least three different contests, either work on improving it or make another.

Case in point...my previous drama video for Elfen Lied with "Assassin" from Muse. I had a solid concept and was certain this would net my first ever major award. I only made one ballot and this was for a contest which is becoming notorious for being proportionally short on submissions received in spite of its convention's size. The admins of their AMV department refuse to revert back to what works in favor of tinkering each year with the formula but that's beside the point.

Anyway, after getting feedback from a few "notable" people in the community I realized where I went wrong in the execution of my video. I dread having to go back and make the adjustments as there is a metric fuck-ton of scenes to filter through. I also have to narrow the story some because trying to fit it all within a 3:30 time frame doesn't work. Plus I think this video is closer to the action category than drama and I'll probably focus a bit more on that.

While I'm plotting what's to be done about that one, I also created what is my latest work: a parody of the Old Spice "I'm on a horse" TV advert using an original script and sprites from the Phoenix Wright DS games. It marks my return to comedy since it seems to be a category editors have been ignoring recently. Anyway, I think I have a solid video and have received no negative response about it yet so prospects are good...which brings me to how you should maybe get others to view and critique your videos before submitting them so you can work on what needs it and turn in a better contest submission.

Just trying to help. The trick is you have to pay attention and listen. ;)
Zenkaikon
AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2013 - 2019)
(2020 - 2021)

1moongoddess7
Org Profile

Post by 1moongoddess7 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:02 am

I just emailed download links for my entries a few minutes ago (RIGHT before the deadline). Hopefully you receive them alright. If there are any problems, I'll do my best to fix them right away.

Ryvannis
Org Profile

Post by Ryvannis » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:43 am

MikalSaltveit wrote:Updated List: (new entries bolded)
Ryan Molina
David Nguyen
Erin Nguyen
Mike Hernandez
Nic Neidenbach
Isaac Fischer
Katherine Cullen
Jill Lanpher

Billy Taing
Victoria Galietta
Sean McPartland
Edwin Hollowell

I have recieved 15 videos. Please remember that videos I receive before December 1st have priority.

-Mikal
I thought December 1st is the deadline...? :|
MikalSaltveit wrote:And some of us believe submitting and then never even bothering to show up is trolling. It is lucky for all of us that there are so many conventions that this even becomes an issue.
That's not really trolling, some people just can't make it really for many reasons or afford the time and money to travel halfway across the country/world. Trolling is when a video is submitted to many conventions over and over just to win prizes. A google search is just a mouse click away if you'd like to check on entries so it really shouldn't be a issue. Many people are suggesting or implicating that cutting out people for not attending the convention is really drawing down the amount of videos that are being sent in, quality ones too. In all this is a contest, so why not make it fair for everyone to enter?

KiKi Umara Death
Org Profile

Post by KiKi Umara Death » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:37 pm

Hey I'm gonna enter one. It says that the deadline has been extended to the 5th. But what does it mean when it says link your video to them? Does it mean threw here or can it be from elsewhere?

Squancho
Org Profile

Post by Squancho » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:47 pm

KiKi Umara Death wrote:Hey I'm gonna enter one. It says that the deadline has been extended to the 5th. But what does it mean when it says link your video to them? Does it mean threw here or can it be from elsewhere?
It means they are taking download links (from RapidShare, Wegaupload, etc).
You have to upload your video to one of those kinds of sites and send them the resulting link.
Zenkaikon
AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2013 - 2019)
(2020 - 2021)

Return to “AMV Contests”