General discussion of Anime Music Videos
godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Review - Cleft Palette - BasharOfTheAges

Post by godix » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:01 am

Rules:
1.)The video will not be posted by the creator
2.)The video will not have a currently active announcement thread.
3.)The thread creator should post their thoughts on the video to initiate discussion.
4.)The thread will start with a copy and paste of these 4 rules.

Recently it seems to be kinda a mini-trend to play with colors in AMVs, at least I know of quite a few videos that have done it. In my opinion, this is one of the better ones. The thing that caught my attention on this video is he didn't take the cheap easy route. In most of it he does masking instead of just tinting the screen. There's shifts of color and style as the music demands. While there isn't really a story or anything, I love how the various animes seem to interface with each other which helps it feel more like a unified whole than just random animes stuck together. As an added bonus, for a video that is so full of effects, it's surprisingly easy to forget. By the end, I was just sitting there watching the thing instead of consciously noticing effects being shoved in my face. That plus he did some great scene choices and the flow was great. Considering half the time the reason I dislike effects is that they're used to try and hide how bad the editing is, it was nice to watch a video where the effects actually worked to compliment the nice editing.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Re: Review - Cleft Palette - BasharOfTheAges

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:47 pm

C-C-C-CONVO BREAKER!
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Copycat_Revolver
Mad Scientist
Org Profile

Post by Copycat_Revolver » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:58 pm

I'm not nearly as much a fan of this as others are, it seems. Although I admit I liked the color play, and there were a few details I loved (1:17 for instance), I could not bring myself to like this video. Most of the instrumental sequences just felt like filler, especially the GWLTT sections that we've seen copy pasted from every other GWLTT video ever. Even the one intense action-y bit is comprised of a single scene that practically edits itself.
It's not a terrible video by most standards and some real effort and thought went into it, that much is obvious, but I can't seem to shake the overwhelming boot of "I don't care" pressing down on the back of my neck. I've never been so bored when being told to yell.
Easy to forget is right, godix, because this video just lacks any sort of engagement. No one at Acen who saw this even uttered a peep when instructed, not even the loud, obnoxious ADD-riddled howling monkeys sitting behind us.
Keep in mind, because of the song I had a certain expectation going into this video. I've seen the actual Blue Man Group show in Vegas twice (amazing) and spent the better part of a year waiting on the completion of a MEP to this song that still has yet to coalesce. So there's a bit of competition in my mind for what a video to this song should look like.
All in all, not a fan.

McDirty
Org Profile

Post by McDirty » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:28 pm

To tell you in honest truth, I actually enjoyed this. It was neat and simple. It didn't go overboard with edits or the colors and there was a lot of choices in the video that I thought were pretty clever.

godix wrote:
By the end, I was just sitting there watching the thing instead of consciously noticing effects being shoved in my face. That plus he did some great scene choices and the flow was great. Considering half the time the reason I dislike effects is that they're used to try and hide how bad the editing is, it was nice to watch a video where the effects actually worked to compliment the nice editing.
I agree. It's certainly something I struggle with myself, because once I start using effects, I tend to overuse them. It's very hard for a lot of editors to try and not use too much.

Fall_Child42
has a rock
Org Profile

Post by Fall_Child42 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:45 pm

It was pretty neat but I'm not sure I get it.

I saw that each anime had it's own colour scheme.
Red for paprika, Yellow for GitS etc, but I'm not sure why.

I read the notes but I really didn't get a sense of anxiety between the shows, I actually though the colour seperation made it easier to define what was different.
Did the choice of colours mean something? If they did I couldn't figure it out.

What do you think about colour theory? Maybe if this kind of thing was attempted again perhaps the colours should be more thoughtfully chosen so that the symbolize something in our North american (european) culture.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:16 am

The colors themselves were tied to the audio in each segment. Those colors were chosen more for their prevalence in the movies in question than for any deeper meaning. Their contrast was what was meant to show anxiety, first from task-switching between them and later from the chaos of them all existing at one time, competing for your attention.

EDIT - clarification is nice.
Last edited by BasharOfTheAges on Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Knowname
Org Profile

Post by Knowname » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:18 pm

Ppl think about these things wut?? All I saw where epic beats matched with epic scenes. Very nice scene selection.... but finding 'epic' in anime is not thaat hard to do :). When seeing this around vca's last year I noted that I liked to follow the words that flashed on the screen. As if it's more of an aural thing while the clips were simply a collage.

I didn't read the notes.
If you do not think so... you will DIE

Return to “General AMV”