State of the Org - 10-13-10

Kosmit
Slippery Pole
Org Profile

Re: State of the Org - 10-13-10

Post by Kosmit » Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:41 pm

Scintilla wrote:
pan_dbgt01 wrote:To be honest, I went to YouTube to get noticed a little more. I feel there are so many videos on here that unless you really stand out you just fade with the rest.
Wait. Hosatchel has craploads more AMVs and videos in general than we do here. How is it more conducive to getting noticed?
Look at it this way: you send an AMV to a con. People like it and want to see it again/show it to their friends. YT is the first they will go to look for it, as I'm pretty sure most of the con audiences don't know about the org. Plus it's more accessible.

Ileia
WHAT IS PINK MAY NEVER DIE!
Org Profile

Post by Ileia » Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:56 pm

Kosmit wrote:
Scintilla wrote:
pan_dbgt01 wrote:To be honest, I went to YouTube to get noticed a little more. I feel there are so many videos on here that unless you really stand out you just fade with the rest.
Wait. Hosatchel has craploads more AMVs and videos in general than we do here. How is it more conducive to getting noticed?
Look at it this way: you send an AMV to a con. People like it and want to see it again/show it to their friends. YT is the first they will go to look for it, as I'm pretty sure most of the con audiences don't know about the org. Plus it's more accessible.
Then the reason why you go there for AMVs is because it's the first place people look, NOT because there are more AMVs on the org, which was the original argument.

pan_dbgt01
Org Profile

Post by pan_dbgt01 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:10 pm

Maybe I will enter a con. I have never done that before. I am considering Anime North when the info is posted.

RazorX
Org Profile

Post by RazorX » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:26 am

First off let me just say that after bein gone for quite a few years its nice to see that his place is still here.

That being said Id also like to say wow things have fallen, and yet at the same time some things havent changed.

I had hoped to come back here and see a slew of creative and new faces here as well as get in touch with alot of the veterans of this wonderfull hobby ( or for some more then a hobby). Only to have come back and see that things seem to be in such a chaos of bickering, people getting well off topic of AMV's, and (at least to me) it seems the fourms hardly seem to even talk about helping others with there AMV edditing or even people asking for said help. Just plain sad imo. Even this current tread seems to be going nowhere ( although i did skip past pages 6-9 i just couldnt take much more of what i was reading) anymore.

Now I dont mean to sound like a total prick but im being serious. Aside from a handfull of people that have posted prior to me, (who have given great ideas and even a decent disscution or debate on things) people here seem to want to just flame others...... why? Dont get me wrong i love sarcasim and jokes as much as the next guy but why not acually make it relivant at least?

Personaly I belive that the original post was a very important thing and did spark a few inteligent and well needed debates. and as im sure almost everyone can agree with is that there are big problems with the AMV comunity from both outside and inside forces. Are also partly to blame? Well both yes and no. depends on the individuals. Some try to promote with the best of intentions but draw the wrong kinds of people. Oh well it happens at least they try. Others dont for various reasons some good and some bad, cant really blame those people either. Point is Promote or dont its your choice. If you want to try to help others promote then help promote. if not dont flame them, constructive critisim is ok. but rememebr people cant hear tone of vocies in type.

I know this may seem like just a one big rambleand it may be to some, but this is com ming from a guy Who use to do this hobby alot, (still do but i have my personal reasons why ive not posted anything in years) but rember this if nothing else ive said. This is and for as long as i can remember a place for AMVs and for those who make them. and try to keep it that way by whatever means nessisary to keep things here true to what this place is about.

Knowname
Org Profile

Post by Knowname » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:24 pm

i get e-mails for PMs...
I want the emails Pwolf gets :/ some warning of pms rage would be nice. Or is that emails requesting for pms... either way it would be HIGHLY entertaining.
If you do not think so... you will DIE

Fryslayer Productions
Org Profile

Post by Fryslayer Productions » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:59 pm

On the Youtube subject, We, Fryslayer Productions have been successful in having Copyright flags removed from Our videos that had audio disabled or blocked altogether. We realize that Music companies need revenue. Some of them realize that tasteful AMVs can actually attract listeners, IE.. Customers, to their markets. Those companies simply put an I-tunes link with the video, which is fine by me. Simply put, Youtube's copyright flags can be beaten by quoting Fair Use laws and justifying that the actual material flagged was not edited or even claimed by the author, and no money was made by the author. In closing, Our hobby is an art form, much like drawing or Parody. If you handle the claim maturely and professionally, Youtube will see it that way.

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:40 am

Actually, whatever you write doesn't really matter. They'll accept the claim regardless, but if the company which owns the rights finds out and doesn't agree with your PoV, then YouTube isn't at fault: they locked the right for the video, then you, the author, said that YouTube did not have the right to do so based on :reasons: (fair use being one of said possible :reasons:), so if the author wants to hunt you down for it, YouTube is legally free from any hassle of sort since they (1) did "lock" your video at first and (2) only "unlocked" it after you basically told them that you'd take the issue all on yourself since you believe you are in the right.
Of course whether you are in the right or not will be judged elsewhere if that stage ever comes. Generally they just end up taking down videos and/or accounts in the worst case anyway, so it's fine, but... the reason that music gets unlocked quite possibly isn't the reason you thought it was, that's what I'm saying. They probably don't really care about what you write in there at all.

post-it
Org Profile

Post by post-it » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:39 pm

.. I've had Video pulled from YouTube and Other locations; its no big deal!

YouTube "has the right" to challenge anything posted in its storage. ( let them have that right! )
.. /.. if your selling Girl Scouts and their Cookies with "Brownies" selling the Girl Scouts, you might
be in for a fight with their parents! -- this has nothing to do with "Rights" .. .. By having the Brownies
selling Girl Scouts ( cookies or not ) you have "imposed your rights" over the Girls Scouts -- and in
this case; you've now lost "your rights to defend yourself!"

Strange as it may seem; something you did upset YouTube -- leave it alone and "trust" in their conclusion.

-- just a thought

pan_dbgt01
Org Profile

Post by pan_dbgt01 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:58 pm

Wow. Thanks for all the youtube replies. Actually, I find it's the opposite now. I've been posting my new uploads in the forum and I've been gaining popularity. I find on youtube I don't really get a lot of votes and comments. So the Org is actually better that way. Youtube is good for joining MEPs and things like that.

dazza1008
Org Profile

Post by dazza1008 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:22 pm

Let me start off by saying that I like this place. I was invited here by someone after my video got removed from YouTube, and I just managed to upload my videos here before everything went kaput and I lost all my descriptions. I come here infrequently now due to life being too busy to edit much, but I still like it and want to support it. I was wondering how my donation status was, and was a bit sad to see that we're making less than half the amount of money we need to. I agree that increasing traffic to the site is the way to go. I do think that people had poor manners when I stumbled onto the forums, but I stuck around (and seriously, I can imagine myself as a minority) and I would be coming here if I genuinely wanted feedback. (I wasn't after asspats, but what some people said was unnecessarily cruel). Anyway, I don't know if most people go to the forums, but I can't blame them for thinking that it's the heart of the site and it taints the whole thing.

-I do believe that feedback needs to be made palatable for people to stick around and learn. Forget donations.

-maybe you could have a "Before you post here, read this so you don't get reamed" sticky in the AMV announcements section. The etiquette sticky doesn't give me the sense that most of the feedback can be a) mentioning negative points (but hey, put a positive spin on it and say "that's how we learn") and b) mention that sometime there are asses that roam. (giving negative feedback in a harsh way which basically amounts to as much detail as "I didn't like it"). So that should prepare people for this place to be a place of learning, and also to not go looking for asspats. Lower their expectations by saying that most feedback is mentioning points for improvement, and they will be grateful for any compliments.

-I think it's a great idea to promote at conventions. I'm this close to becoming a staff member for my local convention, and I did go in their anime music video competition last year, which encountered problems with hosting the videos with sound being turned off, etc. I am close to suggesting this be the hub to run it. I believe that if you did want attention no matter what, you could think about specifically catering for AMV competitions and thus they can point viewers in the direction of the org. I don't know the requirements of AMV competitions in general, but at the very least, I think they are looking for places equivalent to YouTube where they can just direct people to view them. I know that what we have could cut the cheese (i.e. if people were to create accounts, and actually enter the comp by submitting here). BUT...
1) it can be a pain, and it would be good if there were some way that the general public could see the videos submitted to a particular convention without having to create an account or vote.
2) it would be good to have a way where the organiser in a convention can upload videos themselves, and then link to the original if possible, say if all entries were to be emailed in, and this also prevents people entering the comp after the due date has passed because they have full control
3) embedding possible?
4) some kind of voting system? (maybe that's better done on the organiser's site)
5) another reason for organisers to post entries here is because some participants might not want the original available for download because of possible stealing OH NOES
6) are there any legal docs here stating 'fair use' or something? For any potential lawyers that come around? (like the disclaimers that would have to be signed when someone submits to a comp, absolving the comp from any legal action that could occur)

All that's required is to think about how we could cater for this (or even have instructions on how to run a comp on the org with what we have existing and email various organisations around the world, offering this service to actually host the comp)

-Has anyone designed a standard flier that people could hand out at conventions that promotes the org?

Return to “Site Announcements”