The Org Redesign - What's wrong with the org?

OtakuGray
I understoop!
Org Profile

Re: The Org Redesign - What's wrong with the org?

Post by OtakuGray » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:40 pm

So...why do people hate me? o_O

Other than ofc the obvious heart warming /ragequit moment (altho im sure im not the only one who has ragequit on org)
godix wrote:Like this one amv. It was all like woosh, zoom with effects. And I was all like whoa awesome. Then that guitar thingies popped up and went dun dun DUN dun then those box thingies went zooming by and twirling around and shit. Oh god, then the hexagons popped up and I was like 'I just got a stiffie'. Then there was the circle with those thingies going around and I blew my load.

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:56 pm

I dunno why knowname hates you... what did you do?

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:57 pm

Pwolf wrote:I dunno why knowname hates you... what did you do?
I think he hates everyone D:

OtakuGray
I understoop!
Org Profile

Post by OtakuGray » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:08 pm

Pwolf wrote:
lol oh well thats okay then. :up:
godix wrote:Like this one amv. It was all like woosh, zoom with effects. And I was all like whoa awesome. Then that guitar thingies popped up and went dun dun DUN dun then those box thingies went zooming by and twirling around and shit. Oh god, then the hexagons popped up and I was like 'I just got a stiffie'. Then there was the circle with those thingies going around and I blew my load.

Enigma
That jolly ol' bastid
Org Profile

Post by Enigma » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:15 pm

Pwolf wrote:
He don' hate on ol' Soupie.

ngsilver
The Old School Otaku
Org Profile

Post by ngsilver » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:34 am

Corran wrote:RE: IRC Chat
I would really like to see an IRC bot that logged the chats to the org's database. Then users could perform fulltext searches of the logs and read the recent conversations online at their leisure. The org could also include the last ten lines or so on the member's main page with a link to join in on the discussion via the synirc web interface. You could also do the same with recent forum posts.

I think this would go well with Zarxrax's tabbed members main mockup: http://www.animemusicvideos.org/forum/v ... 3#p1352633 (He already has a tab for forum posts)

Additionally, perhaps such an IRC bot could perform org related utilities, such as providing information similar to the vidid bbcode on the forum.
I would be willing to provide my logs from the last 5 or so years to assist in starting such an archive actually. It's not entirely complete as from time to time I would be out of the chatroom either working on my PC or at a con, but it is pretty extensive. The same goes for #amv-review and #superic.

The only issue I would have with the bot posting the last 10 lines or so to the main page is that we do from time to time have racier convos then we generally allow on the forums. We try to keep things clean but it we tend to be less clean then the forums most of the time. Personally, I don't really care because I think people need to grow up, but I don't know if we want to spout everything without some form of 'censorship'. Someone would have to comb the logs to clean out links and things that get a user banned. It's a great idea really, and I'd love to be able to simply msg the bot a vidid and have it link the info to the chat or stuff like that. If I knew more about coding IRC bots I'd even probably work on something like that.
ImageImageImageImage

Knowname
Org Profile

Post by Knowname » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:37 am

That's because you beat me to the hateration.

I hate on anyone with 2 legs... Dr. Dino gets it twice (4 feet!)
If you do not think so... you will DIE

OtakuGray
I understoop!
Org Profile

Post by OtakuGray » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:08 am

Knowname wrote:That's because you beat me to the hateration.

I hate on anyone with 2 legs... Dr. Dino gets it twice (4 feet!)
I'm a cloud. i have no legs.

godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Post by godix » Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:59 am

I mentioned this early on in one of these threads. I forget which one, so whatever. Revisiting the topic in this thread works just fine.

I, and a few others, suggested the idea of making videos viewable without logging on. I happened to be releasing a video recently, so I did a very minor experiment just to see what would happen. When I uploaded my latest video, I also put a direct link to megaupload for the thing. It's the exact same file, and the description of the direct download says that (specifically, it says "Same as local, just for those who don't wanna log in to download"). It's been about three weeks since then, so I just checked it's download stats. These will be a little skewed because, at my request, there is no preview of the video which drives a lot of views. Anyway, at the moment, it has 101 local downloads and 60 Direct downloads.

Now I realize this is just one video, without a lot of downloads, and with no preview. So it's hard to say much based on this, but still this strikes me as worth noting. When given a choice, roughly 40% choose to deal with megauploads crap rather than logging into the org. Since the two choices are identical files, things aren't skewed by different quality/format versions or some such. Based on this extremely limited data, I think it's pretty clear a significant portion of viewers do not want to log into the org to download/watch.

To be honest, I didn't expect more than a small handful of direct downloads. I mean it's megaupload, which sucks. Although I think the direct counter just tracks how many people clicked it, not if they completed the download. Still, that such a large percentage are direct just makes me believe even more than before that viewers should not have to log in to view/download videos. We'll lose mandatory star ratings and the chance to leave QCs, but I think it'd make the site friendly to casual viewers.

Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:56 am

Aside from pointing out the obvious elephant in the room, I don't really see how the 'IRC is too arcane, just like FTP' argument can fly when IRC (or more precisely, xdcc, which still requires logging into the channel and seeing whatever convos are going on at the time) has experienced a boom over the last couple of years for fansubs because of all of BayTSP's crap discouraging people from using BitTorrent to do it.

Granted, many that are likely to make that argument about IRC probably are not going around using xdcc for their fansub fixes, because they don't care about actually downloading the darn things. But that doesn't mean that familiarity with IRC is anything approaching a lost art the way that FTP is increasingly becoming (note: I prefer using FTP for Local uploads, and remain indifferent on the previous FTP vs. HTTP tangent).
My profile on MyAnimeList | Quasistatic Regret: yeah, yeah, I finally got a blog

Return to “Org Redesign”