The Org Redesign - What's wrong with the org?

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Re: The Org Redesign - What's wrong with the org?

Post by Pwolf » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:09 pm

Nya-chan Production wrote:But we don't have money for that, most of the time, so we just chat, sorry ;x
I think its more like we have lives outside of the org (and the irc chat for that matter) and can't just drop our responsibilities to drive or fly out to meet people in person.

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:13 pm

Arigatomina wrote:That's the because the forum lacks an OT section. If it still had one, people would still be forming bonds in there instead of in the chatroom. The chatroom is necessary because it's making up for something the forum lacks. If the forum were improved to fill that void, the chatroom wouldn't be needed anymore. So which would be harder in the longrun? Changing the chatroom so it's less like a chatroom and more like a forum so people will use it instead of asking for more sections in the forum? Or adding more sections to the forum so it covers the topics currently only discussed in the chatroom?
Fun fact: Most of the active people in the IRC chat have access to donator's forums ;x

Corran
Org Profile

Post by Corran » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:30 pm

What is wrong with the opinion forum? For what reason do we need yet another forum to represent essentially the same thing? There is a thread in the opinion forum that clearly indicates that beta's are fair game. Do beta's need to be explicitly mentioned in the forum's description to get the point across?

I think adding more and more forums will just make the forum to appear less active if current activity levels remain the same. In my experience with studio websites, the larger the forum, the faster it stagnated because the forum activity was spread so thin.

RE: IRC Chat
I would really like to see an IRC bot that logged the chats to the org's database. Then users could perform fulltext searches of the logs and read the recent conversations online at their leisure. The org could also include the last ten lines or so on the member's main page with a link to join in on the discussion via the synirc web interface. You could also do the same with recent forum posts.

I think this would go well with Zarxrax's tabbed members main mockup: http://www.animemusicvideos.org/forum/v ... 3#p1352633 (He already has a tab for forum posts)

Additionally, perhaps such an IRC bot could perform org related utilities, such as providing information similar to the vidid bbcode on the forum.
Last edited by Corran on Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Pwolf
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:34 pm

Arigatomina wrote: Some people, like me, dislike chatrooms because they are chatrooms.
I completely agree. Some people don't like instant messaging and the such. I'm fine with that. My original argument was against the idea that the chatroom isn't helpful. when I challenged that argument all i got was vague answers and "it's stupid". Thanks for your indepth and civil reply.

The forum is great and has it's importance, i don't deny it. But the chatroom is a good resource for people when they need help. I'm not saying we need more people to frequent the chat. I'm saying if you have a question, go the chatroom, you might get a faster answer then using the forum. We had someone who came in earlier today who couldn't post on the forum. They were taken care of immediately. Most of the mods and some admins are in the chat. After your question has been answer, leave, you don't have to stick around. come back later when you need help again, or don't.

The chatroom has never been an alternative to OT. While it has filled that void for some of us, the chatroom wouldn't change if there was a public OT forum. Most of the people in the chatroom today are donators and have access to the existing OT forum already.

Pwolf
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:42 pm

Corran wrote: Additionally, perhaps such an IRC bot could perform org related utilities, such as providing information similar to the vidid bbcode on the forum.
PimpWolf makes his return?!

Fall_Child42
has a rock
Org Profile

Post by Fall_Child42 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:00 pm

Pwolf wrote:
Knowname wrote: First reason I do not like the chatroom: We had an org comic back than based on the OT forum, it was great! I'd like to see that come out of the chatroom! It can't. or most likely won't. because chat convos are instant. boom their done. you don't have x hours between posts, you won't get this type of creativity. I will include our recent .org comic, well it's really based on the donator's forum but.
We did have something like that...
yeah I actually found a couple of the old ones I made.
Comics about my #AMV? it's more likely than you'd think.

There were plenty more but I can't find them.

Knowname
Org Profile

Post by Knowname » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:06 pm

Nya-chan Production wrote:Connecting the chat and the comic isn't really going to work...
yeah I know, I was just writing stuff off the top of my head. Point is, both are basicaly the SAME creative outlet, I don't see what you can't do on the forum that you can do in chat... other than... chat (instantaneous replies).
Nya-chan Production wrote:... okay, if you can't ignore a line from someone, then it's YOUR problem, not the chatroom's. You were just not born to chat with other people. We all had Hacchin's rants in the channel, Kio can be obnoxious at times, godix has sexist remarks... and?
Take it easier, man.
I do, and I don't go into chatrooms. HASTEROTH was the one I was thinking of, thankyou. The community treated Hasteroth MUCH more poorly than OtakuGray... and why? both were just as annoying at one time, the only difference is Hasteroth chatted. his chatting made him SO annoying NOONE could ignore him! I don't think I'm the only one who 'can't ignore one line', it's a human reaction. Nobody likes spam. Nobody likes to put anybody on TOTAL ignore.
Nya-chan Production wrote: 'lo and behold, there IS something better than IRC.

Meeting in real life, chatting in real life
I got an lol out of this :D irl>irc :)
If you do not think so... you will DIE

Arigatomina
Org Profile

Post by Arigatomina » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:35 pm

Pwolf wrote:Most of the people in the chatroom today are donators and have access to the existing OT forum already.
See, that's like Nya-chan's fun fact. Most of the active people on the forum today are donators, right? They're the ones active everywhere. They're the org core. They *are* the org. We could destroy the main page and the database and we'd still have that core of donators, the lifers, regulars, hanging around the forum or the chatroom, sharing vids or just talking with friends they made years ago. I don't think any of the proposed changes will have a serious impact on the donators. I think they're fine, intact, and will remain that way indefinitely.

When I was connecting OT to the chatroom, I was looking at the people who've drifted away, the ones who are still hanging around but keeping their distance, the ones who may join tomorrow and never come closer than the main page. They won't become regulars, donators, lifers, unless we can draw them into the community. I think advertising the OT potential of the chatroom, or creating a free OT part of the forum, would help members make friends with other members. And then they'll donate regularly for the same reasons most of us do - this is where the friendly faces are.

Besides, to be honest I find the donator forum a little dull and feel sorry for anyone who donates *just* to get access to that section. Some people think wild orgies go on down there or something. It's false advertising at its cruelest. ^^;

[Sorry for taking a beta section request and turning it into an argument in favor of more OT discussion between org members. It just sort of happened...]

Pwolf
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:44 pm

Arigatomina wrote: When I was connecting OT to the chatroom, I was looking at the people who've drifted away, the ones who are still hanging around but keeping their distance, the ones who may join tomorrow and never come closer than the main page. They won't become regulars, donators, lifers, unless we can draw them into the community. I think advertising the OT potential of the chatroom, or creating a free OT part of the forum, would help members make friends with other members. And then they'll donate regularly for the same reasons most of us do - this is where the friendly faces are.
Yea, i see what you mean. Which is one reason I would like to have a public OT forum since I don't really see the donantor forum as much of an incentive to donate, but i think that's just me not using it often.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:12 pm

Knowname wrote:
Nya-chan Production wrote:... okay, if you can't ignore a line from someone, then it's YOUR problem, not the chatroom's. You were just not born to chat with other people. We all had Hacchin's rants in the channel, Kio can be obnoxious at times, godix has sexist remarks... and?
Take it easier, man.
I do, and I don't go into chatrooms. HASTEROTH was the one I was thinking of, thankyou. The community treated Hasteroth MUCH more poorly than OtakuGray... and why? both were just as annoying at one time, the only difference is Hasteroth chatted. his chatting made him SO annoying NOONE could ignore him! I don't think I'm the only one who 'can't ignore one line', it's a human reaction. Nobody likes spam. Nobody likes to put anybody on TOTAL ignore.
Why not? It's a pretty simple thing. /ignore <name>
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Return to “Org Redesign”