The Org Redesign - What's wrong with the org?

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Re: The Org Redesign - What's wrong with the org?

Post by Nya-chan Production » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:52 am

Begi wrote:@JaddziaDax
I've tried, no one talks.
Are you one of these people?

[20:06:08] * MystykAMV (~c1e12386@synIRC-A73562C4.nejanet-puk.ektf.hu) has joined #AMV
[20:06:46] <MystykAMV> yopeople
[20:12:09] * MystykAMV (~c1e12386@synIRC-A73562C4.nejanet-puk.ektf.hu) Quit (Quit: CGI:IRC (Ping timeout))

Just find the right time, goddamnit, the #AMV is rather chatty compared to some other channels I lurk in! I am in some channels where most of the stuff on the screen is joins/quits or locals spamming triggers. D:

OtakuGray
I understoop!
Org Profile

Post by OtakuGray » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:33 am

Arigatomina wrote:
Pwolf wrote:No one has given me a counter argument against it other then "it's stupid", "it's dead", or "they might be on vacation"... Seriously? I don't care what happens to the forum, if it gets a million more subforums, good for it. I want to make the chatroom a better place for people to get help and to interact with other editors.
Then the topic should be: "Whats wrong with #amv?" :|
godix wrote:Like this one amv. It was all like woosh, zoom with effects. And I was all like whoa awesome. Then that guitar thingies popped up and went dun dun DUN dun then those box thingies went zooming by and twirling around and shit. Oh god, then the hexagons popped up and I was like 'I just got a stiffie'. Then there was the circle with those thingies going around and I blew my load.

ngsilver
The Old School Otaku
Org Profile

Post by ngsilver » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:09 am

OtakuGray wrote:Then the topic should be: "Whats wrong with #amv?" :|
#amv is a part of the org though. That's the thing. You see that option in the community section on the sitemap that says chatroom? It's listed there because it is part of the org. It has rules very similar to the org and is designed as a place for the org community to interact in a more personal and in the moment kind of way. So bringing the channel up is perfectly valid as part of the thread's title and focus.

If people WANT to see what goes on in the chat room I have a fairly accurate and well kept log of the chat since I joined about 5 years ago. I can go back years, so I'm not sure what's so 'only' in the moment about a chatroom. That's what logs are for.

Personally, I've never really had any trouble striking up or joining any convo going on and rarely I find the chatroom truly dead. And I fail to see the real benefit to creating another subforum for beta's considering the resource that's already there is rarely used. I wouldn't use it, I have other means for beta testing. And I think that's the real point here. Perhaps the reason no one uses the opinion forum for betas is not due to it seeming 'unfriendly' or anything to it, but because people already have other avenues they use for beta testing if they even wish to bother with beta testing at all. True, it could benefit a video to have other people look at it before it's released, but only if the editor feels like doing it.

And this all goes back to the original reason this was brought up, lack of interaction. We can add features and spruce things up all we want but that isn't going to really change the fact that 'no one' interacts. There are plenty of ways for people to interact with each other here on the org and yet they just don't do it. Sure it may seem like no one is interacting with an announcement thread when it goes for days without a reply, but that doesn't mean the main purpose wasn't achieved, that the video was viewed. Perhaps the viewers had nothing to say? I mean, can you really call a comment like 'I liked it' true interaction? To me I see the problem of lack of interaction something that can't really be fixed because it requires us to change the mindset of our members entirely which isn't easy to do. Heck, the majority of people who watch videos on Youtube don't actually comment. We can add commenting features and extra forums all we want but that truly wont change the silent majority that makes up the org's membership if they don't want to interact directly with other members. I mean, we could force them I suppose, but that'd just drive them away.

Personally, I don't think there really is a fix for this problem. It doesn't hurt to try, but in the end it is up to our new and lurking users to actually make any of these changes really work. The real question is, will they?
ImageImageImageImage

Begi
Org Profile

Post by Begi » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:24 pm

How is the chatroom being stupid immature? I doubt that I'm the only person who doesn't like the chatroom. If you like it, that's fine. I don't expect you to tell me why you love it. I don't think there is any problem with the chatroom, I just don't like it. period.

I'm not saying that we need to make a subforum for betas, I'm giving an idea and seeing what people think of it. So far it's half and half. If you would've read my original statement you would've seen that they were just ideas that would "...ENCOURAGE communication, connection, friendship, better editing, and activity..."
I personally wouldn't probably use it because I have a studio and other friends who would be willing to beta test, but I think it's something that could help.
Pwolf wrote:There's plenty of interaction on the forums. The resources are already there for what you want, which has been argued by several people already. It's not a problem.
I'm guessing you didn't see the "(imo)"? Maybe we should ask who thinks there isn't enough interaction on the forum (excluding the chat since everyone doesn't use it).

So...
Who thinks there isn't enough interaction between editors on the forum?

Begi
Org Profile

Post by Begi » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:28 pm

Nya-chan Production wrote:

[20:06:08] * MystykAMV (~c1e12386@synIRC-A73562C4.nejanet-puk.ektf.hu) has joined #AMV
[20:12:09] * MystykAMV (~c1e12386@synIRC-A73562C4.nejanet-puk.ektf.hu) Quit (Quit: CGI:IRC (Ping timeout))

Just find the right time, goddamnit, the #AMV is rather chatty compared to some other channels I lurk in! I am in some channels where most of the stuff on the screen is joins/quits or locals spamming triggers. D:
Yea I guess I am one of those people, but why does it have to be like that EVERYTIME I sign in. It's not like I've been in there once or twice. I've been in there plenty of times. Sure, it's not ALWAYS dead but most of the times I've signed in there wasn't a chat. I guess it's just coincidence that I sign on 20 times and everyone be asleep? Yea...I fucking doubt it.

Fall_Child42
has a rock
Org Profile

Post by Fall_Child42 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:39 pm

Begi wrote:
Nya-chan Production wrote:

Yea I guess I am one of those people, but why does it have to be like that EVERYTIME I sign in. It's not like I've been in there once or twice. I've been in there plenty of times. Sure, it's not ALWAYS dead but most of the times I've signed in there wasn't a chat. I guess it's just coincidence that I sign on 20 times and everyone be asleep? Yea...I fucking doubt it.
It depends,

Did you sign on at different times of the day?
Did you stick around for any varying length of time?

I mean if you do the same thing 20 times and expect different results that's kind of silly.

Begi
Org Profile

Post by Begi » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:44 pm

Yes lol. I'm not insane to try the same thing over and over that many times.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:44 pm

The point of including the timestamp in that excerpt was to show the person was logged in for all of 6 minutes. 6 minutes is not trying - not by a long shot.

-----
MycathatesyouAMV wrote:We need a beta section because I feel that in the Op Exchange forum it's literally discouraging to users to post just threads of their betas.
Substantiate this feeling with supporting evidence. Next explain how having another forum with the exact same people on it would result in an atmosphere any different than the current one.

For this to be a discussion thread we need to discuss things. Saying "I feel" "I think" or "It's my opinion" isn't a free pass to state a viewpoint without then asserting the (rational and logical) reasoning behind it when asked to elaborate.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:44 pm

Simple statistics (I filtered those manually):

#AMV wrote 1060 lines of dialogue today (no Quit, Join, Rename lines, counting only /say and /me) in 21:49, which means roughly 0.8 post per minute, distributed unevenly, of course. And this, as I have gone through it, seemed like one of the calmer days to me.

Also I wasn't participating the whole day, might be why (sleeping, work, dinner out).

-----------------------------------------------------------

If under the term "chat" you imagine a channel where there are constantly about 5 posts per second (mostly type of OLOLOLOLOL or Yo' mom!) I can recommend a few. Sadly, I don't think they bother much with AMVs and even if they did they wouldn't give betas a lot of attention, I suppose.

gotegenks
Org Profile

Post by gotegenks » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:07 pm

BasharOfTheAges wrote:
MycathatesyouAMV wrote:We need a beta section because I feel that in the Op Exchange forum it's literally discouraging to users to post just threads of their betas.
Substantiate this feeling with supporting evidence. Next explain how having another forum with the exact same people on it would result in an atmosphere any different than the current one.
i feel like that too kinda, it's like being gay in a church that says they're accepting but is still a little cold towards you. every beta thread i've seen has 1 or 2 replies and they're almost always from kaream, who is one of those people that hardly ever finishes videos. I've seen beta tester sign-up threads that get some more attention, but they're usually by semi-popular editors who are starting some big project.

A LAMV contest is going to get a lot more LAMV entries than an AMV contest that also accepts LAMVs. I know a few people who never make fulls, and while they usually just go to youtube, this could be an attraction for them, for a different sort of editor. also i think if people do like the beta section, it'll give the OP subforum as a whole more attention (for those of you who feel like it's lacking).

Return to “Org Redesign”