Review - V37 - Why Should I Stick Around?

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
dreamawake
Prodigal Pen-Throttle
Org Profile

Review - V37 - Why Should I Stick Around?

Post by dreamawake » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:48 pm

1) The video will not be posted by the creator (we have announcement forums for that).
2) The video will not have a currently active announcement thread.
3) The thread creator should post their thoughts on the video to initiate discussion.
4) The thread will start with a copy and paste of these 4 rules.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm going to do this review a little differently. First off, I'm going to link to the video notes Here and expect you to read them. I'm also going to post a chunk of a review by Torankusu, a friend of mine who no longer edits or participates in this community. I will then post my own thoughts.

Torankusu's Review:
================
Before I start my rant on how such a great video this is, I'll just seriously point out the actual good points in this video.

0:26-0:48 - The quality in this whole arc was just absolutely amazing, I'm surprised to even see scenes of the Saiyan Saga to be ripped and compressed in this sort of quality. It's unbelieveable, I even envy you for having this sort of footage lol. Everything is flawless.

1:31-1:35 - Now I'm sure I'm not the first one to say this, but Sweet Christmas this part is literally a knock off the seat action part. I should know I almost really did get punched off my chair, that was serious. This is my favorite part of the whole actual video. No matter how much I knew about DBZ somehow I did NOT see that coming, it was just so sudden and out of nowhere, as well as brought back just how hard and deep a punch Vegeta did to Jeice. Ever since I first saw that part I kept looping it back those few seconds and kept watching. Over, and over, and over again. Wonderful, wel thought of, I honestly couldn't have thought of it any better.

1:36-1:57 - Yeah, now this whole part was actually -FLUID-. What I mean by that is, everything matched with the beat so specifically and significantly without you even cutting the scenes up that much. It flowed with the scenes actually, seeing Vegeta actually THROWING the punch instead of suddenly seeing the fist on the face out of nowhere.

2:40-3:03 - Yeah, this is just about the same as what I just said the last arc. All fluid, all matched. It's a typical end, but a great end. BadThere aren't a lot, if any. But many could be explained in the general comments. But for real, the only bad thing about this video is...I wasn't the one that made it. GeneralOriginality - So sure, it's a DBZ video. And what more, a Vegeta video. But unlike many other people that base their originality scores on what anime they use, which I don't know why, I base my scores on the actual ideas of the video. Not the anime. So I don't care whether it's DBZ, if it's used well and creatively, I give it a great score. But as to why I give you that score is because this is very well not the first time I've seen a Vegeta tribute where it's all about himself, he don't care about anything, he's vindictive around others, and etc. Also has a very typical Vegeta tribute type of ending with his atonement, but it's a great ending that goes well with it since at the end of the song the artist screams.

Capture/Output Quality - I don't even think I need to describe myself here, I'm just gonna state it as what the score bar says. It looks like the digital master. You got flawless footage and quality, all throughout the video.

Sound Quality - Now I can't say much on detail about sound quality, but to my knowledge, the sound quality of the song is very well audated.

Action/Editing Sync - This is probably the main bulk of your video as to why I like it. Everything is as I said before, fluid. Everything matched perfectly almost by itself, especially the favorite part I mentioned on those very four seconds. And as you stated in your comments you made this video pure and simple, not hardly any effects at all, not a lot of cutting from one scene to another, just plain and simple. Which in some cases could be bad but in this case it's good, it all just depends on how you edit it and if it goes well. Though I will say there are some parts of the back-scratch sound in the song, some weren't exactly timed well enough to be put in sync.

Lip Sync - For the most part it was all well, but not a lot of lip syncs were exactly right. Like you would have Vegeta move his lips more than the amount of syllables in the lyrics, but have him stop at the right moment anyway.

Effort - The video is pretty simple and doesn't look that much hard at all to do, not a lot of thought but that's not a bad thing anywya. I love the way it was edited still and how plain and simple this Vegeta video is.

Re-viewable - Like the score I gave it, whenever I feel like watching a random video when bored, I sometimes turn to this video and just replay my favorite four seconds of the video where Vegeta just snuffs the hell out of Jeice especially. I never get tired of that. I even put this video in my PSP, which gives this video its actual credit it deserves.

Overall - It's a great video to watch from one time to another, but never for a long period of time. It's a great video, one of the more better Vegeta tributes but I still have yet to see THE best one out there yet. But yours is quite possibly up there on the list. I'm just surprised this video doesn't have a lot of opinions or hits at all, it deserves a lot more than what it's getting now. Even a few friends I showed this to that hardly likes DBZ anymore still finds this to be pretty good. Great job on this video man, I really hope you continue making videos sooner or later, I look forward to them. I'm also talking to a good friend of yours Vegeta119, so hopefully we could contact each other some time soon.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Really, not much more need be said and I could pretty much echo his sentiments, but I do indeed have more to say about this video. When I was an up and coming noob, this man took me under his wing and taught me a lot of what I know today. This video has always been a great inspiration to me, and will continue to be for years to come. The word subtlety comes to mind, this video does everything fantastically in an in your face way, without you even noticing it. The pacing, the impact, the cut theory, it's all there, and it all makes for a seriously badass Vegeta video. Even if you aren't a dbz fan, I recommend you check this out, and if you ARE a dbz fan, i recommend, no, DEMAND that you check this the fuck out right, goddamn, now. Castor, Rider, that means you 2. This video is everything that a Dragonball Z video should be, and people should relax, take notes, and wait for that punch to knock you off your fucking seat.

Discuss.

-Reda-
Org Profile

Re: Review - V37 - Why Should I Stick Around?

Post by -Reda- » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:51 pm

Isn't this the kind of shit people post in responses to videos when they come out in the first place? This feels like a second announcement thread; I.E. pointless.
*sips tea*

dreamawake
Prodigal Pen-Throttle
Org Profile

Post by dreamawake » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:53 pm

-Reda- wrote:Isn't this the kind of shit people post in responses to videos when they come out in the first place? This feels like a second announcement thread; I.E. pointless.
It's a review, just like all the other review threads.

-Reda-
Org Profile

Post by -Reda- » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:54 pm

Arashinome wrote:
-Reda- wrote:Isn't this the kind of shit people post in responses to videos when they come out in the first place? This feels like a second announcement thread; I.E. pointless.
It's a review, just like all the other review threads.
There's other ones? Christ this place is fucking sad.
*sips tea*

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:57 pm

I enjoyed this video quite a bit. One of the better Vegeta tributes around.

My only gripe was the zoom and stretch effects and some of the lip sync, but otherwise, a solid DBZ video. Kinda hard to believe it was done 6 years ago and I didn't notice it back then. I would have definitely downloaded it for sure back in the day.

Thanks for posting this. :)
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

dreamawake
Prodigal Pen-Throttle
Org Profile

Post by dreamawake » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:03 pm

Castor Troy wrote:I enjoyed this video quite a bit. One of the better Vegeta tributes around.

My only gripe was the zoom and stretch effects and some of the lip sync, but otherwise, a solid DBZ video. Kinda hard to believe it was done 6 years ago and I didn't notice it back then. I would have definitely downloaded it for sure back in the day.

Thanks for posting this. :)
That was actually his first premiere video, which explains some of the nooby transitions. Pretty old video too, though. I think it's stood the test of time rather well. Anyway, glad you enjoyed it castor, I posted this mainly thinking of you. <3

ps: we should chat on aim sometime

Enigma
That jolly ol' bastid
Org Profile

Post by Enigma » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:14 pm

My own personal bias with this video shall not let me say anything bad about it.

BALLS TO THE FUCKING WALL

Knowname
Org Profile

Post by Knowname » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:13 pm

It's a twist on the same idea... especially the old videos, it just feels fresh to hear just what vets in this hobby think of as really great videos. If anything this isn't announcements, their just more recomendations.
If you do not think so... you will DIE

-Reda-
Org Profile

Post by -Reda- » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:52 pm

Knowname wrote:
It's a twist on the same idea... especially the old videos, it just feels fresh to hear just what vets in this hobby think of as really great videos. If anything this isn't announcements, their just more recomendations.

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/forum/v ... m.php?f=41
*sips tea*

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:21 pm

-Reda- wrote:
Knowname wrote:
Quoted Image converted to link:
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j87/l ... 946323.jpg

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/forum/v ... m.php?f=41
>>> Last posts
05:19:06, Wednesday, 10th November 2010
03:27:31, Saturday, 30th October 2010
16:33:11, Saturday, 23rd October 2010

Also, nobody in there actually knows if anybody reads these.

Return to “General AMV”