State of the Org - 10-13-10

ngsilver
The Old School Otaku
Org Profile

Re: State of the Org - 10-13-10

Post by ngsilver » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:33 am

There is a chatroom section under community that talks all about how to get onto the chatroom including web clients that allow you to get on without having to download an IRC client. They even list the alternative rooms as well.

The information is available and out in the open basically. It even shows up before Journal or the forums on the sitemap. I'm not sure how more open it can be without putting an announcement on the main page about it. And personally, I don't think we need that.
ImageImageImageImage

DaikashiSan
Org Profile

Post by DaikashiSan » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:13 pm

I'm not sure if it's been stated before in this thread, I'm jumping into the chaos as is as of this page.

But, why don't we all take a look at the success of Facebook. If I had to compare apples to oranges, in this analogy YouTube is both the apple and the orange and a-m-v.org is simply just one of the two. It is a hit-or-miss since the site is intended mainly for the creators to profile their work and simply that.

Now I'm sure there will be objections and maybe limitations but play with the idea for a bit:

However, what if a-m-v.org turned into something more of a social network FOR the AMV community? YouTube lacks the editors in their prime who can offer solid advice that extends past a 5/5 and a "favorite" though it almost seems like all the comments as of late tend to go that way.

What if the site could be a bit more like Facebook where there is a main page, and videos are suggested to people as according to a selection of anime they chose as their "top" and with that they would meet other editors who are similar in their preference of anime and be able to communicate with people who can share in the same interest.

That would definitely spur up at least some activity better than passing out flyers can. It would make a-m-v.org one of those sites that would be passed around by word of mouth since currently it is hard to hear of someone who has heard of the site. Even those on YouTube will not thread on this site because they feel feared that the community is either elitist or that you have to go through hell and back to upload a video - and it currently is simple but still a bit of a pain for those who simply want to upload something.

Now I understand bandwidth is an issue, so the same uploading process should stay but made simpler. Maybe a system that would auto-locate anime as you type it in.

The main idea would be to have simply one page where all the information can be accessed. Where people can search for AMVs and find them with ease, perhaps have thumbnail images there of each video as you search to make it easier for people to connect their interests with what they may be searching around for. Also, a proper sidebar within that single page that shows a list of the most current uploaded videos that always updates every 30 minutes or so to show what new videos are up. On that single page there would be multiple tabs, one meant for Video, the other for Banners, and the other a "Forum" tab that would show a list right there of the latest topics. Simply what would happen is that as a comment appears on a topic the creator started, they'd receive some sort of obvious notification that they have received a comment or reply. That way people can stay in touch with their own threads.

The other idea is using that same chat-interface so that people who have friended other editors can instantly see them online and chat with them while browsing the site. It'll help keep videos within the site primarily to the users of the site.

Lastly when someone uploads a video, it is automatically posted on people who have "subscribed" to that editor and others who are his friend, it is posted on their page for other people to get familiarized with. That in addition to that sidebar that shows constantly updating information should be of interest to others. And that sidebar should also be able to be customized to the extent where people may simply select a genre they would prefer appear and that would be the video that shows up and is suggested for them as well.

Making this a social network for the people who are here would really help push along the evolution the site needs to strengthen a hobby for many and make it something that people can actively socialize about without having to leave the site to join an ICQ or spend time on skype discussing videos.

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:20 pm

DaikashiSan wrote:Lastly when someone uploads a video, it is automatically posted on people who have "subscribed" to that editor and others who are his friend, it is posted on their page for other people to get familiarized with.
We've already got something like that, kind of...

http://www.a-m-v.org/members/alerts/edit.php
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

DaikashiSan
Org Profile

Post by DaikashiSan » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:52 pm

Yeah, that kind of didn't sound too confident. I think it'd be better for the site to have everything a user would need without them having to leave the site.

It is said the average person spends about four hours checking their Facebook daily whether it is on a mobile device or on a computer. Making the website at least mobile would prove to make things easier for many people to check on their videos. But again the main weakness of the site is a social integration. People have to check QCs left on their main page or under the "members" sub-section of the website homepage just to see what the comments are and then they have to travel over to the forum in which their thread was left and see if anyone left a comment.

Alerting someone via e-mail just tends to be a bit less intuitive when the site can have the potential to simultaneously alert someone about a certain event. It'd be much better if an app were made so that people could navigate this website much easier.

And since I'm learning to develop applications for both the Android OS and the iPhone OS, it would actually be something I can dedicate some help into creating.

In all honesty, a site where the users are compelled to constantly come back to check on the update of something makes it so that people will remain on the site much longer than a few minutes in order to post a video and pray that people leave some sort of feedback.

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:09 pm

DaikashiSan wrote:Alerting someone via e-mail just tends to be a bit less intuitive when the site can have the potential to simultaneously alert someone about a certain event.
...we do.
it's the online option in the alert system, I think alert stuff is also posted to an RSS feed

Arigatomina
Org Profile

Post by Arigatomina » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:33 am

Kariudo wrote:...it's the online option in the alert system, I think alert stuff is also posted to an RSS feed
But the email system is completely broken, right? I stopped getting email alerts for new ops and QCs around the same time I stopped getting emails when people PM'd me. I was hoping that was one of the things that would be worked on during this revamp. If it's already been fixed, and it's just my spam filter acting up, please let me know so I can change my org email address to one that will work. ^^;

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:46 am

yeah, emails are still broken. It's not really an org code thing though and probably falls more into derobert's realm, so...yeah.

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:48 am

i get e-mails for PMs...

pan_dbgt01
Org Profile

Post by pan_dbgt01 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:14 am

To be honest, I went to YouTube to get noticed a little more. I feel there are so many videos on here that unless you really stand out you just fade with the rest. I think people need to be more supportive on here rather than attack amateur videos. I'm still learning myself, I do my best when rendering, but sometimes I just have to be happy with what I get and to make under 100mb. Anyways......had to get that out.

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:23 pm

pan_dbgt01 wrote:To be honest, I went to YouTube to get noticed a little more. I feel there are so many videos on here that unless you really stand out you just fade with the rest.
Wait. Hosatchel has craploads more AMVs and videos in general than we do here. How is it more conducive to getting noticed?

(I am quite curious about this, as currently I only put my own videos in YouTube in order to do so before anyone else can, so as to prove that they're mine.)
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

Return to “Site Announcements”