How to connect a sata hdd

phulkoli
Org Profile

How to connect a sata hdd

Post by phulkoli » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:35 am

How to connect a sata hdd with existing Pata HDD ? I has bought a 320GB sata HDD.I already have 40GB pata HDD with XP OS.I want to know how to connect sata along with pata. As i want to copy my data on Sata HDD.Before this should i install OS on Sata.

LantisEscudo
Org Profile

Re: How to connect a sata hdd

Post by LantisEscudo » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:46 pm

SATA and PATA have entirely different connectors to the motherboard. I'd make sure you have the right kind of connectors available first, since it sounds like your computer is older (40GB drives haven't been around in quite a while).

If you do have SATA connectors available, then you can just plug it straight in without needing to change anything on your PATA drive at all.

After that, it depends on what you're trying to do. If you're just looking for more storage, then you can leave the PATA drive as the OS drive, and use the SATA drive as an additional drive. If you're looking to replace your PATA drive with the SATA one, then you have a few more hurdles to jump over.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Re: How to connect a sata hdd

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:20 pm

How old is the computer? SATA has been a standard interface for almost 10 years.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Return to “Hardware Discussion”