Review master thread

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Review master thread

Post by godix » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:48 am

There are now several video review threads being posted in GAMV. Rather than have them eventually fall off the first page and disappear from view like most threads do, I figured it would be nice to have a master thread that does nothing but link to the various reviews. People can either post a link to the new review in reply, or I'll update the first post as new reviews come out.

A note on what the review threads are:

These threads will have one main purpose, to pick a neat video and encourage discourse between many members as to what they thought, what they liked, what they didn't like, and what the video meant to them. Also this will serve as a depository of several "highlighted videos" so people can read what was written and decide if they themselves want to check it out.

There are certain people who will be more active in making reviews than others, however the idea is intentionally open for anyone to post a thread. So far, most of the threads have been started by different people so it's certainly not something that you have to get permission to do or that is being run by one person. Whoever would like to join is more than welcome to create a review thread at any time. It should follow the following 4 simple rules:

1.)The video will not be posted by the creator (we have announcement forums for that).
2.)The video will not have a currently active announcement thread (go post in the announcement thread instead).
3.)The thread creator should post their thoughts on the video to initiate discussion.
4.)The thread will start with a copy and paste of these 4 rules.

Reviews so far:
Cleft Palette - BasharOfTheAges
Dear Diary - Amo-Chan
Dreams of Red - Aluminum Studios
The Epic Of Griffith - Reggie Smalls
Face Your Destiny - DarkXPower
Frost and Flames - jasper-isis
Hold Me Now - Alkampfer81
Interstellar Cataclysm Weighs Heavy on My Mind - opalarmor
Mistress Nine: The Sovereign Of Silence - Gupt "Hidden" - AnimeDudde
Odorikuruu - aokakesu
Once Upon A Dream ~ Sora & Kairi - naminepanda
One Day More - Otaku Outpost
The Only One - V37
Right Now Someone Is Reading This Title - Doki Doki
Soul of an Angel - ErMaC
Tainted Donuts - E-Ko
The Wasteland - Otohiko
Why Should I Stick Around? - V37

Kind of related, there is a thread for your Favorite Official Music Videos, although without much discussion on the videos.
Last edited by godix on Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:16 pm, edited 17 times in total.

CrackTheSky
has trust issues
Org Profile

Re: Review master thread

Post by CrackTheSky » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:08 pm

You should probably sticky this. I think the review threads will eventually become really numerous if they keep up at this rate. You should also probably alphabetize the links in the first post, probably by AMV title. Better to start early.

[GloryQuestor: I agree. Done. :amv: ]

godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Post by godix » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:35 pm

CrackTheSky wrote:You should probably sticky this. I think the review threads will eventually become really numerous if they keep up at this rate. You should also probably alphabetize the links in the first post, probably by AMV title. Better to start early.
Good points. I'll try keeping things alphabetical. Thanks for the suggestion
[GloryQuestor: I agree. Done. :amv: ]
Thank you.

dreamawake
Prodigal Pen-Throttle
Org Profile

Post by dreamawake » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:12 am

We might as well just get to it and give the review their own forum if they keep up like this...

gotegenks
Org Profile

Post by gotegenks » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:38 am

i agree, those reviews are clogging up the general forum it seems like.

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:56 am

gotegenks wrote:i agree, those reviews are clogging up the general forum it seems like.
The general forum's barely active as it is. :roll:
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

CrackTheSky
has trust issues
Org Profile

Post by CrackTheSky » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:58 am

Arashinome wrote:We might as well just get to it and give the review their own forum if they keep up like this...
My life is so uninteresting that I actually dreamt last night that this happened. I am not joking.

godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Post by godix » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:25 pm

There are many things that seem to take off when they're started and die very quickly as people get bored of it. So I think if, after a month or two, things are still going then a subforum may be worth it. Otherwise, why bother when the idea may die in a week or two?

Besides, the idea of posting a thread instead of doing a separate blog was to make it so people didn't have to go out of their way to see it. If the thread is in GAMV then my hope was people would go 'Oh, a new review, I'll read that and join in'. OTOH if it's a subforum, then the only people who will read it are the ones who actively seek it out. There's no chance someone will randomly see a review and join in on a whim. Which eliminates entirely the reason I pushed for doing this on the forums instead of a blog when FC and I were talking about it.

Or, to put it another way, the recommended amv forum got a lot of use when it started. When's the last time you posted in it, or even looked in it, though?

Of course, it's not my call. The admin/mods will decide. I just think they should leave it in GAMV, at least long enough to see if it's a fad that will die out or if it's something that has enough people interested that it could survive in a subforum.

Also, one last thing, while it's not in the rules I think there should be a limit to how often a new thread is posted. I have a review written up, and have for a week now. I don't want to flood reviews all over the place though, so I will not post it yet. When I see it's been a few days with no activity on any review threads, then I'll post. Now like I said, this isn't a rule, and I don't expect anyone else to follow it. If anything, I'm glad that 4 of the 5 review threads were started by different people (and that 5th was inspired by someone else, so effectively each review thread was done by a different person really). I'm just saying, I'm gonna pace myself some.

*edit*
Correction, 5 of the 6 review threads were started by different people, and that 6th was actually FC reacting in response to someone else who started it. Which makes me kinda happy there seems to be a variety of people interested in the idea.

Knowname
Org Profile

Post by Knowname » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:18 pm

Yeah, unless given some direction all we're doing here is going through a catelog of good amvs. Fun to do as a community but can be just as well done on your lonesome. If it keeps up like this, even if given it's own forum, it can end up looking like... well recomended amvs (with a little insight from a panel of vets). Again good fun and well needed in such a way. But I doubt it'd last unless we get some kind of structure. I like what Godix had done here.
If you do not think so... you will DIE

CrackTheSky
has trust issues
Org Profile

Post by CrackTheSky » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:50 pm

godix wrote:Besides, the idea of posting a thread instead of doing a separate blog was to make it so people didn't have to go out of their way to see it. If the thread is in GAMV then my hope was people would go 'Oh, a new review, I'll read that and join in'. OTOH if it's a subforum, then the only people who will read it are the ones who actively seek it out. There's no chance someone will randomly see a review and join in on a whim. Which eliminates entirely the reason I pushed for doing this on the forums instead of a blog when FC and I were talking about it.
I agree completely. That's the reason I found the idea so intriguing. It seems to be working so far, in the sense that we're getting a lot of diversity with people starting threads and posting in them. I don't think a subforum would be a good idea. Not yet at any rate.

Return to “General AMV”