Review - Right Now Someone Is Reading This Title - Doki Doki

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
Org Profile

Re: Review - Right Now Someone Is Reading This Title - Doki Doki

Post by CodeZTM » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:04 am

I've got to admit that this is my first time watching this video. I dunno. I got into the hobby late, and I missed way too many good classics for my own good.

That being said, I see this video as one of the videos that you can sit and enjoy without having to think about things like beat sync or other technical things. The humerous jokes are a tad dated, but anime fans can still relate to what's going on to the video, or at least have some insight into what it could actually be.

What I really loved was the mixture of some western cartoons and that adorable little girl dancing into the video. I thought it was a nice touch to change up the pace.

Overall, I really enjoyed it. I'd definitely like to see something newer come out of this [or maybe actually make a modern parody of the parody]

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:42 pm

How old is that little girl now? She's probably not so little anymore.
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:24 pm

At SacAnime this past summer (it is fall or winter now right?) I showed this video as one of the "Most Influential Videos of the Last 10 Years" because of two reasons:

1) the video is an excellent example, and a very early example, of thinking outside the box. Comedy videos today (and over the years) rely too much on their audio source and none of it on good creative editing or story telling. The audio in this video is nothing more then background noise to carry the story (more like stories) along. While the jokes might be outdated for today's anime fans, i still think it holds up over the years because...

2) You cannot go to an anime con that has AMV programming and not see this video some where. That might be exaggerating a little not but over the last 10 years, every single con i've been to has shown this video somewhere in the con, be it a panel, contest, or just someone watching it while in line. While the video itself might not be up to today's "standards" anymore but it's still relatable even to those who are seeing it for the first time.

McDirty
Org Profile

Post by McDirty » Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:50 pm

Fall Child said:
Angelx03 thinks that this video is a great snapshot of anime fandom when it was created, and wishes someone might make a new snapshot for today.
I would certainly like to see that myself. Unfortunately, it's really hard to do that today because:
1) AMV's aren't as cool as they used to be thanks to the many many trash AMVs put on the Tube.
2)Anime itself isn't as good as it used to be either.

However, I do admit, whenever I think of AMVs, Doki's Right Now vid definitely does come to mind. It was certainly one of the first AMvs I saw and even to this day I still enjoy watching it. It makes me laugh every single time too. This vid certainly stands the test of time.

I do have to agree with FC, that this vid was meant to be made for anime fans and it certainly accomplishes it's goal with flying colors.

outlawed
Org Profile

Post by outlawed » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:00 am

Pwolf wrote:1) the video is an excellent example, and a very early example, of thinking outside the box. Comedy videos today (and over the years) rely too much on their audio source and none of it on good creative editing or story telling. The audio in this video is nothing more then background noise to carry the story (more like stories) along.
The King has spoken?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZl3h37mEis#t=10m40s

People are also forgetting the editing in this video (despite clip show oriented) is infinitely superior to the norm back then. Hell if we compare to the norm that's how a lot of us with weaker shit Right Now won AMV contests =p

angelx03
Location: In school, Rochester NY mainly RIT; in home, Tampa, FL
Org Profile

Post by angelx03 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:03 pm

McDirty wrote:Fall Child said:
Angelx03 thinks that this video is a great snapshot of anime fandom when it was created, and wishes someone might make a new snapshot for today.
I would certainly like to see that myself. Unfortunately, it's really hard to do that today because:
1) AMV's aren't as cool as they used to be thanks to the many many trash AMVs put on the Tube.
2)Anime itself isn't as good as it used to be either.
I say those faults can still be usable; maybe make it into some sort of dark, comedic video that also showcases the "downward spiral" of industry, fandom becoming more marginalized, and so forth but have this ray of hope showcasing anime fandom is really not that bad.
ImageImage

Return to “General AMV”