Review - Mistress Nine - Gupt "Hidden" by AnimeDudde

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
Knowname
Org Profile

Re: Review - Mistress Nine - Gupt "Hidden" by AnimeDudde

Post by Knowname » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:08 pm

How do you intentionaly make trash art than? And if you can, why would you call it such? I'm understanding Godix to be saying trash art comes out of real art, as in stuff you do that's intentionally art but rather not intentional and is more just your subconscious flowing through your fingers. Are you saying you can intentionally produce this 'trash art'?

Fundamentally it's like the question of 'is there such thing as internal sync, or is it just an indirect result of beat sync?' personally I'd like to know, I'd been asking myself this question for 5 years lol. In the same way 'is there such thing as trash art, or is it just an indirect result of subconscious and your given art style?' there's a question you can grind on for a lifetime :D
If you do not think so... you will DIE

pink haze
Org Profile

Post by pink haze » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:09 pm

godix wrote:So I wouldn't say trash art is inherently evil, it just shouldn't be viewed in the same light as regular stuff.
Well played.
Although I hesitate to call what you just described 'art,' since it doesn't seem to have a focus on creativity. But I don't disagree with anything you said, so there's no point arguing the details.
Dr.Dinosaur wrote:i think we have different definitions on what trash art is.
I think all three of us do. o.O
Dr.Dinosaur wrote:I love me some trash art.
getting a little off topic here, but I feel "trash" art can get at alot of stuff that fine art can't. It's just as legitimate as any other form of art and too me just as interesting.

Here is a musician that identifies himself as surreal folk blues gospel trash, and I love him.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJYiIdgpw4Y
I'm talking about the 'artist' who heaps up a pile of wooden boards and calls it art.
Trash is something that, by definition, is worthless, has no beauty, no melody, no point. Trying to make ugly, unmelodious, pointless art on purpose is something I'm philosophically against.

As for that song, Dr. D, I think we're just disagreeing about the definition of a word here. The song didn't sound like it was trying to offend peoples' ears or make them want to turn it off. I think it was intended to entertain people, by appealing to their sense of aesthetics or taste--i.e. it was meant to have a certain beauty to it.
The song isn't trash by the above definition (but this is English; the word has other meanings).
I can see a connection though. It uses some "throw-away" sounds, like the sound of grating metal. When you hear that sound in everyday life it has no music to it, but here it's been organized, given rhythm. Something valuable has been made out of what was once trash.
I like it. It's a kind of positive and uplifting concept, don't you think?

Fall_Child42
has a rock
Org Profile

Post by Fall_Child42 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:27 pm

pink haze wrote:to make ugly, unmelodious, pointless art on purpose is something I'm philosophically against.

Not a fan of dadaism eh?

(I Am :uhoh:)

pink haze
Org Profile

Post by pink haze » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:45 pm

Dr.Dinosaur wrote:
pink haze wrote:to make ugly, unmelodious, pointless art on purpose is something I'm philosophically against.

Not a fan of dadaism eh?

(I Am :uhoh:)
Well, all I did was read the wiki article so I can't say I know much about dadaism, but ya, if it's hostile to reason and logic it sounds pretty contrary to my personal worldview.
Sorry, not a fan.

But I still <3 you.

I feel like I should have kept the thread on topic... (but I cannot discourage a discussion on art!)
If anyone wants to talk about the video, feel free...

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:58 pm

Knowname wrote:How do you intentionaly make trash art than?
Lets put it this way: Trolling existed long before internet forums. Some use it as a means of social commentary on the value of things like words, concepts, ideas, ideologies, etc.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:23 pm

Wow, that's a very good video. Actually I don't find it weird beyond necessary, and although some of the jumpy/unexpected editing and audio mix is a bit left of field, it's not exactly unnatural - actually this captures a lot of the dark/weird side of Sailor Moon S that made that season especially good in a pretty natural way (i.e. the villains in that were unpredictable, ambiguously evil/good and genuinely scary at times). I think there is some trippy for the sake of trippiness going on here, but honestly a lot of it made good sense to me - it's just an artsy sort of montage...

Slightly off-kilter, but...
Well, all I did was read the wiki article so I can't say I know much about dadaism, but ya, if it's hostile to reason and logic it sounds pretty contrary to my personal worldview.
Gosh, and here I thought oldschool modernists/positivists were more or less extinct :P
Not to take the discussion there, but if science and philosophy are increasingly considering reason and logic in the classical suspicious projections of human physiology rather than 'things as they are', you gotta wonder about art... Weird/counter-logical/post-modern art is a great tool for deconstruction, which in the end is just a cool way for thinking differently and testing limits of logic in a mostly harmless way. Deconstructive AMVs are awesome in that, although they're probably not the greatest example.

And back to topic, I wouldn't really consider this an especially deconstructive AMV either, just a fairly creative and interestingly conceptualized one.
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

Return to “General AMV”