The Org Redesign - Social Features - Journals

Arigatomina
Org Profile

Re: The Org Redesign - Social Features - Journals

Post by Arigatomina » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:21 am

Knowname wrote:(this is why I think an intro forum would just be redundant... just put it in a journal!)
If the journals were improved just a little this would work fine. We'd need the ability to see all the journals that have been updated in, say, the past week. That way those inclined to welcome new people can keep track of them and they don't get missed on the short list we see on the main page. A way to browse recent (past week/month) journal entries would let it work much better as a replacement for an intro forum. As it stands now, it's a shoddy substitute at best but still better than nothing at all.

Knowname
Org Profile

Post by Knowname » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:30 pm

again though, journals are not meant to be replied to! Maybe I'm just not inclined to welcome everyone, but IMO it's just bein too nice and invites parasites in. The wise person would let the noobs introduce themselve in their journal THEN when they can actually contribute with an actual idea (question) or service (amv) than we can acknowledge them! Sorry to say, but until then you don't really matter :) this is how the world works. Most likely WHEN this noob has a question or amv he/ she will post it on the forum...

You can be nice to some ppl... but not 13-yr olds :|
If you do not think so... you will DIE

Enigma
That jolly ol' bastid
Org Profile

Post by Enigma » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:43 pm

....But i was 13 a month ago ;_;

Enigma
That jolly ol' bastid
Org Profile

Post by Enigma » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:45 pm

Also, the sad part is that not letting the freshmen introduce themselves appropriately, is what's going to kill this place eventually.

I'm perfectly ok with how things work right now, but i guess most people aren't and consider it a by odd and outdated, or just stupid.

Knowname
Org Profile

Post by Knowname » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:14 pm

the sad part is the vain ppl that think it really matters :o ok I'm kinda' playing with ole soupy-boy here, but really. WHY?? The site won't die, you'll just get non-argumentative ppl instead of vain assholes hanging around.

Enigma
That jolly ol' bastid
Org Profile

Post by Enigma » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:38 pm

Knowname wrote:the sad part is the vain ppl that think it really matters :o ok I'm kinda' playing with ole soupy-boy here, but really. WHY?? The site won't die, you'll just get non-argumentative ppl instead of vain assholes hanging around.
Corrupt the new people? works for me :aimkissyface:

Arigatomina
Org Profile

Post by Arigatomina » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:44 pm

Knowname wrote:...when they can actually contribute with an actual idea (question) or service (amv) than we can acknowledge them! Sorry to say, but until then you don't really matter :) this is how the world works.
This is how the org works. Or this is how I *thought* the org worked and would continue to work. Apparently some people don't like the way the org works and that's why we have this whole section full of ideas on how we can invite non-contributing visitors into the org. Someone here wants them, and wants them badly enough to change the org so they'll come and stay and enjoy.

Anyway, back on topic. You can't introduce yourself to an empty room. If the journals are to serve as a place for people to introduce themselves, those journals must be read. If a newbie posts in their journal and no one is on the main page to see it, does it make an introduction? Of course not. It doesn't even get read because even those who are interested will never know that post was made. You can encourage people not to PM others in response to their journals, you can encourage them not to download vids and review them if they read about those vids in journal entries, you can even push people to make all their journal entries private so they really will be nothing but places to type things that no one will ever read. But that has nothing to do with introductions. You said the journals function as a place for new members to introduce themselves. They could, they might, but only if people can read those journals. At present you can only read a few of them, and then only if you happen to be on the main page at just the right moment to spot them.

Even tossing aside the intro aspect, it would be nice to be able to read journal posts made in the last week or month. It's a way to catch up on the people who are participating (or at least *using*) this website outside the forum. So I'm suggesting it in this thread.

Suggestion: Make a calendar with links to the journal entries made on each date. It should go back at least a week, but a month would be even better. A simple "more..." link under the "new journal entries" list on the main page wouldn't take up much space.

Knowname
Org Profile

Post by Knowname » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:21 pm

I like reading the journals that are like 'you actually read my journal???' lol but yeah 'normal' ppl probly wouldn't stop to read those :)

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:03 pm

Enigma wrote:Also, the sad part is that not letting the freshmen introduce themselves appropriately, is what's going to kill this place eventually.
This does not compute with the common wisdom (and i believe backed up with DB queries at one point) that the vast majority of accounts have never even logged on to the forums to even know they can't do an announcement thread.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

dokidoki
c0d3 m0nk3y
Org Profile

Post by dokidoki » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:07 pm

Arigatomina wrote:Suggestion: Make a calendar with links to the journal entries made on each date. It should go back at least a week, but a month would be even better. A simple "more..." link under the "new journal entries" list on the main page wouldn't take up much space.
I added a history for the last thirty days, but no fancy calendar display, sorry.
Image Image Image
"Comedy is a dying breed." -- kisanzi // "Comedy. Serious business." -- dokidoki

Return to “Org Redesign”