Review - Right Now Someone Is Reading This Title - Doki Doki

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
Fall_Child42
has a rock
Org Profile

Re: Review - Right Now Someone Is Reading This Title - Doki Doki

Post by Fall_Child42 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:34 pm

CrackTheSky wrote: It also doesn't help that a lot of the jokes require familiarity with the animes in question, so many of the jokes still go over my head. When it comes to comedy videos, my personal preference is that the jokes should not have to rely on any context outside the video itself.
I have to completely disagree with this point there Crackers.

This is an Anime music video meant to be shown to anime fans, and thus has anime related jokes in it.

Almost all jokes and humor require the audience's previous knowledge on some sort of subject for them to be funny. These ones just happen to require anime knowledge. Writing a joke that does not require the audience to have any sort of knowledge about the joke's subject would be near impossible. Humor pratically requires contextual knowledge.

It's kind of like saying "I don't like The Daily show because I don't understand who these politicians, or have no reference to these current events." Which is perfectly understandable, I mean if one had no knowledge of current American events, nor were they familiar with any politicians then the daily show would make little to no sense to them, this is however not the fault of the satirist.

So I guess, after typing that all out (which allowed me to work it out for myself) you are saying you don't like this video because you do not have the required knowledge to find the jokes amusing. Which is a fair complaint, but it's not against the video, nor the satirist. All this complaint is saying is you are not the appropriate audience.

Personally I don't believe that focusing your humor to a particular audience (be it "animu" or otherwise) is a bad thing.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:00 am

It's less complicated than that... At the time the knowledge-base for anyone into anime barely extended past the shows in question. This was the mainstream satire of the day.

I'd like to echo others in admitting this was one of the first vids that got me into the hobby. Doki is the man. :amv:
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Post by godix » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:01 am

I tend to agree with FC there. The video is obviously targeted towards people who enjoy and know anime. Which, considering this is an Anime Music Video, isn't an unreasonable expectation that the people viewing it would. Some people fall outside it's viewship, but that doesn't make it a bad video any more than a drama with a series I've never seen is a bad video. It just means you aren't who it was designed for.

Although, I do find it strange that on an AMV site there's complaining about a video having too much A.

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:05 am

Dr.Dinosaur wrote:
CrackTheSky wrote: It also doesn't help that a lot of the jokes require familiarity with the animes in question, so many of the jokes still go over my head. When it comes to comedy videos, my personal preference is that the jokes should not have to rely on any context outside the video itself.

This is an Anime music video meant to be shown to anime fans, and thus has anime related jokes in it.

Almost all jokes and humor require the audience's previous knowledge on some sort of subject for them to be funny. These ones just happen to require anime knowledge. Writing a joke that does not require the audience to have any sort of knowledge about the joke's subject would be near impossible. Humor pratically requires contextual knowledge.

It's kind of like saying "I don't like The Daily show because I don't understand who these politicians, or have no reference to these current events." Which is perfectly understandable, I mean if one had no knowledge of current American events, nor were they familiar with any politicians then the daily show would make little to no sense to them, this is however not the fault of the satirist.

So I guess, after typing that all out (which allowed me to work it out for myself) you are saying you don't like this video because you do not have the required knowledge to find the jokes amusing. Which is a fair complaint, but it's not against the video, nor the satirist. All this complaint is saying is you are not the appropriate audience.

Personally I don't believe that focusing your humor to a particular audience (be it "animu" or otherwise) is a bad thing.
At the time this came out, I had only seen about 10 or less anime and I understood the majority of the jokes.
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

Knowname
Org Profile

Post by Knowname » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:11 am

godix wrote:I do find it strange that on an AMV site there's complaining about a video having too much A.
Do you also complain about trailers that have 0 music? No. For some reason AMV has become ANIME... oh yeah and sometimes music and video too... :aimkissyface:

Not to complain though (anime is obviously gonna be the dominant factor)... or to derail the subject :) right now I'm on my way out good night.
If you do not think so... you will DIE

Mastamind
Org Profile

Post by Mastamind » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:04 am

I'd never seen anything but praise about this video, so I always thought those who are into the A aspect more than the MV were a vast majority..

I guess I'd be with CracktheSky in that crowd, because as a comedy it went over my head. I do appreciate this video and actually like it a lot, if just for the editing- but it does cater to an even smaller group within AMVs, so you can't expect everyone to get it. I did chuckle at the "another fan is being born" and it was also one of my first watches, so :up:

CrackTheSky
has trust issues
Org Profile

Post by CrackTheSky » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:09 am

Dr.Dinosaur wrote:

I should clarify on this point: I like contextual humor. Actually, I LOVE contextual humor. However, I rarely find comedy AMVs which rely on anime-related humor to be funny. I don't know why, exactly; it may have something to do with the fact that I like anime less now than I used to, but to me most AMV jokes that reference something within the source material just fail to make me laugh.

But that's just me. I wouldn't discourage anyone from watching this video, and I myself don't dislike watching it - I just enjoy it more as a history lesson than as a comedy video. I will readily admit that I am not the kind of viewer that this thing is aimed at, for the reasons stated above. It's just a matter of taste.

TnAdct1
Org Profile

Post by TnAdct1 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:04 pm

First watched this video at the Otakon 2001 AMV Contest (with me voting for this one in what was easily a very tough comedy category to choose from). This video (along with Sensei on Springer) were the videos that ensured viewers that whenever Doki Doki does a comedy video, it's going to be a hoot (or at least catchy).

As for some comments in reply to what I've seen so far:

-Yeah, knowledge of some anime may be needed to understand some jokes (i.e. the Bubblegum Crisis "right now" bit, in which its hard to understand what the "Crash" part was referring to unless you know that it's a reference to the follow-up Bubblegum Crisis series). Around that time, I was still an anime newbie (with this being my first Otakon). However, I did do some research (and seen some of the shows that appeared in the video), so I was able to get some of the jokes in the first go-round.

-When it comes to updating it, I can think of some jokes that remain true to the original AMV, but fits today's standards.

Knowname
Org Profile

Post by Knowname » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:38 pm

I believe what 'Ben' (both of us :)) is trying to say is I 'understood' a lot of it, I just didn't 'understand' why it's so funny!! It's got a hint of funny 'haha' but not a lot of funny 'hoho'. Part of the reason I 'meh' this video is cuz it's supposed to be funny :/ I wouldn't expect this to be a comedy video but some kind of parody.

But than again "taste" differs widely between all ppl.
If you do not think so... you will DIE

dokidoki
c0d3 m0nk3y
Org Profile

Post by dokidoki » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:08 am

Dr.Dinosaur wrote:it is Doki's video.
This thread explains the recent star score fluctuation. :)
3. It's also an amazing parody of the actual Van Halen video. Some of the lines and almost all of the stylistic choices came right from the video (blue pointy finger)
Although the idea for the finger is from the music video, IIRC the actual graphic is from Monty Python.
Angelx03 thinks that this video is a great snapshot of anime fandom when it was created, and wishes someone might make a new snapshot for today.
The thought has occurred to me, but I'm not as in touch with things as I used to be. I haven't seen much recent anime to even know what to use.
Incidentally, when I originally made it, I thought it'd be fun to submit to different cons with some different scenes in each. I didn't end up having time for that, except for having to censor a scene for AX. A couple of scenes were also changed before putting it online.
This video is reminiscent of the internet fact flashing shift happens
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4FJMJtt8dk
I was reminded of Web 2.0 ... The Machine is Us/ing Us.
Castor Troy wrote:I remember seeing this on the big screen at AX2001 and I remember how big the applause was. Good times. :D
A friend of mine videotaped the reaction at Anime North 2001. I think I have it around here somewhere.
Even though the AX Right Now reaction was great, I think the loudest I heard was for my KDMD video at AWA 1999. Less people, but something about the acoustics, I guess. It was so loud, at one point it seemed like the sound wave inverted. (for lack of a better description)
Knowname wrote:And that's another thing. I do and always HAVE hated TEXT!!
I know Anneke hates it for the same reason.
CrackTheSky wrote:What I dislike is that this is pretty much just a video that panders to all the obsessive animu fans out there.
But that described me too. (though less annoying than some :nose:) So I knew my audience. ;)
When it comes to comedy videos, my personal preference is that the jokes should not have to rely on any context outside the video itself.
I didn't know about the "mind control" in Code Geass, so didn't make sense to me, but I'm sure others enjoyed it.
Dr.Dinosaur wrote:It's kind of like saying "I don't like The Daily show because I don't understand who these politicians, or have no reference to these current events."
But they set up the jokes with clips from news networks. :)
BasharOfTheAges wrote:It's less complicated than that... At the time the knowledge-base for anyone into anime barely extended past the shows in question. This was the mainstream satire of the day.
Yeah. See above about not knowing what to use now. Things were so much simpler back then. ;)
I'd like to echo others in admitting this was one of the first vids that got me into the hobby. Doki is the man. :amv:
Thank you.

PS: Someone actually made a Harry Potter version of "Right Now" and cited my video in the description, but I can't find it any more. (edit: found it, though the description I mention was elsewhere) Also, someone wrote a Final Fantasy version. (search for "right now")
Image Image Image
"Comedy is a dying breed." -- kisanzi // "Comedy. Serious business." -- dokidoki

Return to “General AMV”