Review - Right Now Someone Is Reading This Title - Doki Doki

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
Fall_Child42
has a rock
Org Profile

Review - Right Now Someone Is Reading This Title - Doki Doki

Post by Fall_Child42 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:41 pm

1) The video will not be posted by the creator (we have announcement forums for that).
2) The video will not have a currently active announcement thread.
3) The thread creator should post their thoughts on the video to initiate discussion.
4) The thread will start with a copy and paste of these 4 rules.

Oh hey,

it is Doki's video.

As a matter of fact, I actually just saw the real Van halen RIGHT NOW music video on Much Music (yeah Canada) last night. And was reminded of this very video.

Not only is this one of the first videos I ever saw that got me into AMVs (thanks doki) I think this video is brilliant for several reasons.

1. It is a great satire of the anime fandom.
2. The editing is spectacular.
3. It's also an amazing parody of the actual Van Halen video. Some of the lines and almost all of the stylistic choices came right from the video (blue pointy finger)
4. It's funny, there has obviously been alot of care and though put into the many gags one can see throughout the video.

This thread is brought to you by angelx03 who accidently a review thread here.
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/forum/v ... &p=1354666

Angelx03 thinks that this video is a great snapshot of anime fandom when it was created, and wishes someone might make a new snapshot for today.

This video is reminiscent of the internet fact flashing shift happens
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4FJMJtt8dk
(version 3.0)

To which I responded with the first parody of shift happens
http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/shiftingme

which is actually a great analogy due to the parodic nature of Doki's video over the real Van Halen music video (seen here)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMV-fenGP1g

Discuss.

godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Re: Review - Right Now Someone Is Reading This Title - Doki Doki

Post by godix » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:51 pm

This was one of the first AMVs I remember seeing. Even today, it's still great. What I loved about it is that it is such a close match with the official music video for this song. That's something that's pretty rare actually, I only know of a couple other AMVs that tried that.

It's also just a good AMV. Even without knowing the original video, it's still very funny and enjoyable. The visual style helps set it apart, even years later. Definitely worth watching.

Knowname
Org Profile

Post by Knowname » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:09 pm

I think everybody likes this video... but me. Carry on
If you do not think so... you will DIE

Fall_Child42
has a rock
Org Profile

Post by Fall_Child42 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:34 pm

Knowname wrote:I think everybody likes this video... but me. Carry on
Why don't you like it?

See this is where the discussion part comes in.

Godix: actually I had ONLY seen the official RIGHT NOW music video last night.
I had never actually seen it before, but that never stopped my enjoyment of this video.

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:37 pm

This was one of my first amvs as well... shame I didn't understand anything about it beyond the fact it was a parody of the original mv, but after getting into a lot of series I eventually became to appreciate it more and more.

Knowname
Org Profile

Post by Knowname » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:20 pm

hmm.. well... do I need a reason FC?? OK well... I guess... if I really thought about it. When watching it I didn't really notice how closely it mimicked the original so I pretty much thought it was just a crapass wannabee. And my opinion hasn't changed since. I may now know that it's a faithful omage or w/e, but I don't care. it's still boring to me. Also realize that when I first saw this I wasn't that big into anime, but was attracted to the creation and technical aspect. Even now I could care less about anime, it's just what I know (now) so I gravitate to it. So part of my PERSONAL dislike may just be that I don't relate to it. at all.

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:21 pm

I remember seeing this on the big screen at AX2001 and I remember how big the applause was. Good times. :D
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

Knowname
Org Profile

Post by Knowname » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:36 pm

I knew it was a parody just cuz of all the 'right now...' text. And that's another thing. I do and always HAVE hated TEXT!! I just do. we make videos not text! It's like a personal insult to me :|. I always complain about text, even in that butterfly video that won the 09 vca's it f*in sucked and was nothin but text. I'll read a book if I want text. Well anyway I just watched it (the computer I used earlier wouldn't let me :/) and my main complaint came straight from the original. I HATED the 'pay attention to the lyrics' part. OFC now I know why it's in there. But still most of the jokes... I really don't care about.

CrackTheSky
has trust issues
Org Profile

Post by CrackTheSky » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:55 pm

I'm surprised at myself for what I'm about to say, but I agree with Knowname on most points. Don't get me wrong, I understand the enormous influence this video had on AMV culture. I understand its draw, I get the overlying joke of how it's copying the official music video (which it does pretty frigging well), I understand how awesome these effects must have been back in 2001. And even though this video was not part of my AMV upbringing, as it were, I get a little nostalgic when I watch it, more for the use of some really old anime than anything else.

I'm going to ignore the lack of beat sync and such, simply because I know that since doki was intending to copy the official video, there was really not much he could have done to increase it. That's not my problem with the video anyway. What I dislike is that this is pretty much just a video that panders to all the obsessive animu fans out there. It works much better in a con setting, and even then I'm not going to be laughing with the rest of them, but it does enhance the video's gravitas. In many ways you could say this was a kind of precursor to AMV Hell, for better or worse.

It also doesn't help that a lot of the jokes require familiarity with the animes in question, so many of the jokes still go over my head. When it comes to comedy videos, my personal preference is that the jokes should not have to rely on any context outside the video itself.

But hey, I'm not about to say that this isn't a classic video. Whether or not I like it, its place in AMV history is pretty much decided, and even though I don't feel it's as good as most people probably think, it has built a certain legacy that probably won't ever be toppled.

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:31 pm

This is my favorite comedy AMV of all time. Unlike others, I had seen the original music video many times as a child/teen so Tim's video was even more brilliant to me even during the first watching. It still astounds me the level of detail he went into to parody the video and how some of the jokes have "multiple levels" of funniness (if you've seen the actual video).
-Daniel
Newest Video: Through the Years and Far Away aka Sad Girl in Space

Return to “General AMV”