The Org Redesign - New Features and/or Function...

Enigma
That jolly ol' bastid
Org Profile

Re: The Org Redesign - New Features and/or Function...

Post by Enigma » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:56 pm

Zarxrax wrote:I haven't seen anyone addressing Journals in all of the postings so far.
So what about journals? Does the org need them? Do they need more features? Are they perfect just how they are?
Maybe be able to post images? or add some smiley functions?

ExSphere
Org Profile

Post by ExSphere » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:50 am

- Get rid of "new vid on the block" and replace it with a promotion of a video that received the highest star rating average over the past week. :?:

ngsilver
The Old School Otaku
Org Profile

Post by ngsilver » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:50 am

Since we're talking features, something I've always wanted to see was a change in our contest system. Many contests are moving or have moved to an online database style system to manage their entries. Then after having done this they have to manually enter in a specific contest and manually modify which videos were actually in a contest. The entrants have to manually say their video was submitted to a certain contest and then wait for the coordinator to approve (if they even bothered to list the contest.)

I would like to see some form of API or available integration between convention database systems and the org's system. I had been designing my own database system with this goal in mind actually. One feature that could simply be added to the entry system is asking a user upon entry if they have an org vidid already. The system would then poll the org's database and grab info for that video from there. From that point on the data would be linked. Then by simply making an entry as having been accepted the org's data set could then be updated to show that a the linked video was submitted to blah con.

Another benefit possibly from this is the ability for someone to push and entry to the org's database and enter it into the org's catalog that way. By linking a user's profile between the two separate databases it gives the user the ability to either enter a video into the org's database first or into the contests' database first and then simply transfer data back and forth.

Of course, each contest implements a different system. So this is why I think it would be best to have some kind of API or set of instructions on how to interact with the org's database. Though I don't know how secure this could be. But since we're talking features this is something that I'd love to see available.
ImageImageImageImage

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:30 am

ngsilver wrote:Since we're talking features, something I've always wanted to see was a change in our contest system. Many contests are moving or have moved to an online database style system to manage their entries. Then after having done this they have to manually enter in a specific contest and manually modify which videos were actually in a contest. The entrants have to manually say their video was submitted to a certain contest and then wait for the coordinator to approve (if they even bothered to list the contest.)

I would like to see some form of API or available integration between convention database systems and the org's system. I had been designing my own database system with this goal in mind actually. One feature that could simply be added to the entry system is asking a user upon entry if they have an org vidid already. The system would then poll the org's database and grab info for that video from there. From that point on the data would be linked. Then by simply making an entry as having been accepted the org's data set could then be updated to show that a the linked video was submitted to blah con.

Another benefit possibly from this is the ability for someone to push and entry to the org's database and enter it into the org's catalog that way. By linking a user's profile between the two separate databases it gives the user the ability to either enter a video into the org's database first or into the contests' database first and then simply transfer data back and forth.

Of course, each contest implements a different system. So this is why I think it would be best to have some kind of API or set of instructions on how to interact with the org's database. Though I don't know how secure this could be. But since we're talking features this is something that I'd love to see available.
That's be great for information... As to the files that are submitted themselves, there's still a big gap between con versions and org versions in terms of format, logos/titles/bumps, file quality, file size, etc. that'd make it rather useless.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

ngsilver
The Old School Otaku
Org Profile

Post by ngsilver » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:09 pm

I realize that for the actual videos having full integration wouldn't be feasable. However, it would be nice to have a download/preview option available for the org version be automatically created as part of the final list because the video is already linked to the orgs vidid. Even just for trading data back and forth it would be awesome.
ImageImageImageImage

Hagaren Viper
Org Profile

Post by Hagaren Viper » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:45 pm

ExSphere wrote:- Get rid of "new vid on the block" and replace it with a promotion of a video that received the highest star rating average over the past week. :?:
Um, isn't that what the AMV Spotlight on the main page is? If anything, I think there should be something that draws more interest to the New Vid On The Block, as it's importaint to see new, undescovered vids too, isn't it? Maybe it can have its own spotlight feature as well.

On a related note, the AMV Spotlight [And potentially any AMV stream here] should take a note from youtube and display a random frame from the video when not in use. Because as of now, every AMV Spotlight uses the first frame from the vid when you see it on the main page...which is always just a black screen. There's really nothing to draw much interest to watching it unless you see an editor you already like, or it has a particularly awesome name or something. Even a Short blurb saying what song and anime is being used below the video would be helpful.
Castor Troy wrote:There definitely needs to be journal replies like livejournal. Imagine the greatness that would come out of it if Sammy wrote in his journal again. :awesome:

I would also recommend twitter integration on member pages so people can see twitter posts.

I agree with journal replies. I've just recently started using the journals fairly actively, and replying to someone's journal with another journal seems kind of silly and roundabout. Otherwise, I don't think it needs to be changed much - Twitter doesn't really appeal to me, but I wouldn't be against it if people wanted it.

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:28 pm

While journal replies would be nice, (I do agree whole-heartedly that would be awesome) this discussion has come up in the past, as doable, but a pain in the ass, and would take a long time. This was why the "pm this person" link was made at the top of every journal, so you could reply to the person without having to make another journal entry.

There was a whole lot of drama surrounding the journals at the time, due to complaints of people using them as IMs.

MycathatesyouAMV
Based Dicknugget
Org Profile

Post by MycathatesyouAMV » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:42 am

Just reposting this from the other thread so it gets noticed.

I would like the option in opinions of being able to make your video opinion invisible. This idea is for the Opinion Exchanging because it always seems like who ever OPs someone's amv first, their score can effect the score of the opinion the other person will give them. Alot of people seem to be self conscious about not being the one to op first because of what I stated. Maybe just make it so it stays invisible for a short amount of time, as I think this would greatly help op exchange.
Discord: MycathatesyouAMV#5994

dreamawake
Prodigal Pen-Throttle
Org Profile

Post by dreamawake » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:41 am

ExSphere wrote:- Get rid of "new vid on the block" and replace it with a promotion of a video that received the highest star rating average over the past week. :?:
I really disagree with this suggestion. We need attention on new vid on the block, it's a way for noobies to get some exposure and views. I think it'd be rather superficial to replace that with some "HIGHEST RATED" bullshit.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:01 am

Arashinome wrote:
I really disagree with this suggestion. We need attention on new vid on the block, it's a way for noobies to get some exposure and views. I think it'd be rather superficial to replace that with some "HIGHEST RATED" bullshit.
It needs to be a balance. If it's all shit, nobody will ever use it. If it's all good, we get the ratings clusters we have now. You need to watch and rate complete crap every so often to make the good stuff look even better by comparison and to have enough 1s and 2s in the system to make that 4 mean something.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Return to “Org Redesign”