The Org Redesign - What's wrong with the org?

Ikore
Org Profile

Re: The Org Redesign - What's wrong with the org?

Post by Ikore » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:48 pm

I really don´t understand the problem with registraton, all social webs and forum requiere it, I think we are pretty used to it.

but I support this:

-star rating not obligatory

-public qc (I want people to see all of my beautiful smileys)
Zarxrax wrote:The text that appears begging people to pledge when you download a video is tl/dr; Vastly simplify this, and instead of having 3 buttons to choose from, make a temporary waiting period of about 30 seconds.
|:>
CodeZTM wrote:It's not something we can really control, but I think we need to have people leave a lot more feedback in the AMV Annoucements forum, or more active participation in Opinion Exchange.
:up: :up: :up: :up: :beer:

more than in announcement forum, I think op really cover that need, but opinion exchange is kinda great, maybe I´ll spend a little more time around :mrgreen:
SING! Never mind the words!!!

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:03 am

If commentary of ANY sort is public, I want the ability to opt my videos out of the system.

I do not want QCs, I do not want star ratings, and I want opinions to remain private. If I want public commentary, I will make an announcement thread.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

inthesto
Beef Basket
Org Profile

Post by inthesto » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:11 am

Can my one suggestion be to ignore anything that Kionon says? I think that would help a lot.

Also, put in a god damn public social forum. Lack of feedback or public viewership, whatthefuckever, what's keeping his community hog-tied is the fact that you have to go well out of your way to actually make friends in this community.
Sukunai, Real Canadian Hero wrote:Note to any Muslims present. Abuse a female in my presence, and you are being sent to a hospital emergency ward with life threatening injuries. And no human law will make me change my mind.

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:20 am

Oh you. :ying:
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

inthesto
Beef Basket
Org Profile

Post by inthesto » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:33 am

My general trolling asshat persona aside, every time I see you post in one of these topics, I become more convinced that you are less-than-secretly dedicated to killing off this community. Every opinion you express is all about how to shrink this community and keep it chained to 2001 where your them-darned-kids heart resides.

So yes, I am 100% serious when I'm asking the people up top to ignore everything Kionon says. I'll do a writeup on why we need a social forum later, because it's a slightly more important issue.
Sukunai, Real Canadian Hero wrote:Note to any Muslims present. Abuse a female in my presence, and you are being sent to a hospital emergency ward with life threatening injuries. And no human law will make me change my mind.

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:39 am

If you're actually serious, then let's have this out, because, yes, I thought you were trolling.

I already believe this community is dying, and turning it into another social network site won't save it, it'll just turn it into a different community with AMV slapped on it.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:21 am

Kionon wrote:If you're actually serious, then let's have this out, because, yes, I thought you were trolling.

I already believe this community is dying, and turning it into another social network site won't save it, it'll just turn it into a different community with AMV slapped on it.
And you can't stand that, because it would hurt you personally.

FYI, I can speak only for myself, so this is NOT an admin point of view, but everything you stated in these threads I pretty much ignored, because it's exactly as stated - we need to move forward, otherwise we'll turn into a private lobby for few stuck-up editors. And as much as I know this would please you I think that most of the Org users wouldn't be pleased by that.

In other words - we don't redesign the Org for you,. but for community (or at least we're trying).

Ikore
Org Profile

Post by Ikore » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:40 am

Kionon wrote:If I want public commentary, I will make an announcement thread.
and how long will it give you feedback, 2 weeks a month at least?

I understand that the org is a mean to be a catalog, but the whole archive design should not be so complicated and it should allow a place for interaction and feedback, moving ideas back and forth, not just the editor should receive information about his/her AMV any one else watching the amv, should have access to the provided critic, I know that feature is available, I just think it should be of an easy access for anyone else...

the redesign should be to make things better, not necessary different. :dino:
SING! Never mind the words!!!

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:43 am

Nya-chan Production wrote:And you can't stand that, because it would hurt you personally.
How? It will hurt discourse. It won't hurt me besides possibly inconveniencing me now and again.
FYI, I can speak only for myself, so this is NOT an admin point of view, but everything you stated in these threads I pretty much ignored, because it's exactly as stated - we need to move forward, otherwise we'll turn into a private lobby for few stuck-up editors. And as much as I know this would please you I think that most of the Org users wouldn't be pleased by that.
Unfair, uncalled for, and completely inaccurate, Nya. I expected better from you. Anyone who was in #amv tonight knows how seriously I take the issue of why some members now may not feel they can participate, and the others may be driven away. Just because I don't share your philosophy doesn't mean I wish to turn this into a "private lobby for a few stuck up editors."
In other words - we don't redesign the Org for you,. but for community (or at least we're trying).
Not asking for that. I am asking that we be reasonable and respect all views, including those of conservatives. When I stated we would become a different community, I do not mean would we would grow and change and progress, these are all good things, within reason. I was saying that we would become an entirely different media site, one with community standards and that are not ours, but rather represent a growing trend in disposable content consumerism I thought we stood firmly against.

Yes, we should grow, progress, and ultimately, change, but we must do so without losing ourselves.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

inthesto
Beef Basket
Org Profile

Post by inthesto » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:27 pm

Kionon wrote:Yes, we should grow, progress, and ultimately, change, but we must do so without losing ourselves.
Please define "ourselves". I've been here for about six years, and here's the Org culture distilled into bulletpoints:

- Talking about the same handful of topics over and over again
- Giant quoteblocks to keep announcement threads at the top of the page
- Continued suggestions that the site is a catalogue and not a community, i.e. socializing is bad

Frankly, all three of these suck.

Return to “Org Redesign”