The Org Redesign - New Features and/or Function...

Fall_Child42
has a rock
Org Profile

Re: The Org Redesign - New Features and/or Function...

Post by Fall_Child42 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:13 pm

http://www.kongregate.com/

I actually like the top two halves of this site.
The title, the menu just under the title, the search box, the colours.

The featured video and Social network part being seperated from the other parts by a slight shift in background colour.

The "hot new games" and "highest rated games" is pretty cool.

Everything below that could use some work
but over all it's pretty clean.

In conclusion steal another site's design.

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:21 pm

Corran wrote:
Nya-chan Production wrote:We are now working on the core, not features, so it's pointless to ask about those now.
I disagree. If you know the overall vision of what you are eventually going for you can make important yet seemingly simple design decisions early in the core development to accommodate the development of additional features down the road. If you don't plan ahead you may be pulling your hair out and refactoring a lot of code later on.
We of course have that in mind - wouldn't be possible to work it out otherwise. But as you stated, it's more of a "general" feel - details like polls, sliders vs star ratings and such are implementation things which can be changed very simply.

leptogenesis wrote:Who all is actually involved in the coding process?

Anyway, this seems like a good place to mention the recommender system I wrote for the .org. We may want to put it into greater prominence than the current suggestion query system, since the current consensus seems to be that it works better. It's written in a way that makes it rely very little on the current setup of the .org database or the php code. My wild guess is that the recommender will work better if people are still required, or at least strongly encouraged, to give ratings.

Also, it wouldn't be terribly hard (for me) to modify the same system to find the nearest neighbors to a given video. That way we could have a 'related videos' column on most video pages.

I should also point out that, at least in theory, both of these systems should work better than youtube's 'related videos' system, because the system doesn't have to deal with the huge diversity of videos that youtube has to deal with. If done right, this could give the .org a real advantage over youtube.
I checked and I can see you have an access to programmers section of the forums - check with me and Kariudo over PM or IM and we'll probably get you more informed about what we need and what's the vision in coding sense - even though these information aren't really public, every hand can be useful.
Corran wrote:Regarding rating systems, I like this one that Doki noted last year.

http://blog.steepster.com/post/22667910 ... ing-system
We're thinking about it.

Corran
Org Profile

Post by Corran » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:09 pm

Nya-chan Production wrote:
Corran wrote:Regarding rating systems, I like this one that Doki noted last year.

We're thinking about it.
:) I know, I was posting it for the others since they had been mentioning a desire for the rating system to change and this was brought up in a hidden forum where they could not have known of or discuss it. I think it would benefit the org more if there is an open discussion on these kinds of topics even if the org is already considering them. This has always been a site dedicated to a community and so I think it is important that the community have an say on what they think the org should be. I don't think anyone's ideas should be shot down by site staff or other user's regarding the practicality of implementation unless the idea is patently flawed from the start. If users post a ton of ideas that can't be implemented at this early a stage, then these threads can simply be bookmarked for later. User's should likewise understand that not every idea can or will be implemented.

With that said, I think everyone should toss in their two cents regardless of whether you just joined yesterday, are a site veteran, a programmer, or help run the site. Perhaps someone with a unique point of view will come up with input or an idea no one ever thought of.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:19 pm

That is great... The cynic in me realizes that for everyone that takes it seriously, there's another 9 that pull it all the way to the right for every vid they fangasm over.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Post by godix » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:50 pm

BasharOfTheAges wrote:That is great... The cynic in me realizes that for everyone that takes it seriously, there's another 9 that pull it all the way to the right for every vid they fangasm over.
That kinda makes me wonder, should the ratings be weighted based on the average given score of the person rating? Getting a 10 rating from someone who usually gives 5 or 6's probably means a lot more than a 10 from someone who always gives 10's.

MycathatesyouAMV
Based Dicknugget
Org Profile

Post by MycathatesyouAMV » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:07 pm

I think contests created by the org themselves would be a nice idea. The top percent videos, the way they are set-ups and stuff could be changed. Also a way to comment on people's pages and stuff, and customize youre own page better.
Discord: MycathatesyouAMV#5994

MycathatesyouAMV
Based Dicknugget
Org Profile

Post by MycathatesyouAMV » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:09 pm

Also, the effort and quality scores I dont think should affect the videos average score on the top 10 percent list.
Discord: MycathatesyouAMV#5994

Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:58 am

BasharOfTheAges wrote:That is great... The cynic in me realizes that for everyone that takes it seriously, there's another 9 that pull it all the way to the right for every vid they fangasm over.
Some things never change. I'd be willing to bet the same problem exists with the current system anyway, as the upper limit drifting has been noted with both opinions and star ratings - most videos fall in the 5-10 region on opinions, or 3-5 area on stars, because of anti-low-rating impulses (although there could be something of a selection bias going on - people have enough foreknowledge to download videos they know they'll like ahead of time, and thus don't give out lower ratings unless their expectations were way off base).
My profile on MyAnimeList | Quasistatic Regret: yeah, yeah, I finally got a blog

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:15 am

godix wrote:
That kinda makes me wonder, should the ratings be weighted based on the average given score of the person rating? Getting a 10 rating from someone who usually gives 5 or 6's probably means a lot more than a 10 from someone who always gives 10's.
That's actually a pretty great idea for an overall rating ;x I know I have seen systems like that, will try to dig those out.

Return to “Org Redesign”