State of the Org - 10-13-10

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Re: State of the Org - 10-13-10

Post by JaddziaDax » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:16 pm

BasharOfTheAges wrote:
Scintilla wrote:
JaddziaDax wrote:Opinions are also feedback solely for the editor. They open up no real conversation for just viewers. Besides, the editor can only choose two of the opinions to be public.
Well, unless the viewer him/herself leaves an opinion; then s/he can view all of the others for that video...

But yes, you can't have a conversation between viewers that way.
And this is a bad thing?
I was never saying it was a bad thing, just contradicting what knowname said about opinions.. :P I think opinions should be left the way they are, personally. But I do think another form of leaving comments (and getting rid of Quick Comments) would be a good thing.

[edit] or at least a way for the editor to turn off QCs if they want to... or make them so they are not anonymous... >.>

Besides comments like "this is why I go to the tube" are one of the main reasons this discussion has been opened.

The problem with announcement threads = youtube's comment system is that after so much amount of time, everyone wants them locked as to let newer videos on the forum get the spotlight of being "at the top of the forum" - youtube's comments are never locked. I get comments on old videos more often thanks to the tube.

I suppose if we wanted to change this, we could have the threads auto-moved to a subforum something like "most talked about videos" or something and leave those threads unlocked in there, while the main announcement forum remains as it is. I already link to my announcement threads from my video profiles that way people who find the profile can read what was said in the announcement at the time.

I don't necessarily like my comments being strictly for me because I like to read what other people say in conversations about my video. More stories and personal experiences that pertain to the video often come up in this way. I love reading personal experience stories.

Besides most of the "advice" I get anymore isn't really advice. It's vague "I'd do it differently" comments. I like getting most of my advice during the beta process, it's kind of useless after the fact, for the most part (at least imho - or maybe I'm just at that stage in my "amv career").

Glitzer
Org Profile

Post by Glitzer » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:13 am

If I may, what if we had an entire forum devoted exclusively for betas. I'm aware that it's against the rules to upload betas, but what if while you were still progressing with your potential amv, you could upload it, embed and what not to the hypothetical beta forum, and allow people to express their thoughts there. Furthermore, allow the user to upload updated versions of the amv that would effectively delete the previous version and allow continuous improvement (and not bog down the system).

Then, once you have the final product, have an option to the effect of "submit final copy" that would lock the thread and allow you to make an announcement one (or move it). As JaddziaDax stated, getting critiqued in the announcement thread is all fine and dandy for future videos, but it's of no value to the one being announced.

I got the concept from http://www.animepaper.net/gallery/wallpapers/sessions

"The thing that really marks AP out is that we aren't just a place for you to come and upload your walls and for people to make simpering, pointless comments and add absolutely everything to their favorites. The core of AP is that it is a place you can come and get genuinely useful feedback, criticism and help with your wallpapers."

Granted wallpapers and amvs are inherently different, but I've had great success with their session zero and wondered if it could be extended to this particular hobby. It may very well help to rejuvenate the site.

godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Post by godix » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:17 am

Glitzer wrote:If I may, what if we had an entire forum devoted exclusively for betas.
Something like this?

Glitzer
Org Profile

Post by Glitzer » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:18 am

godix wrote:Something like this?
Indeed.

It makes one wonder why the WIP is not utilized more often. I think few people are willing to bother downloading the video, but if one could embed a preview from the site in it's own polished forum, I wonder if it would spark more of a discussion evaluating the WIP.

I'm just hoping to find a way to simulate the announcement threads without the video uploaded being permanent, or forcing a remaster. The announcement threads certainly are enjoyable, but I was hoping if it were possible to take the idea behind those threads and develop it into something more beneficial for the actual video.

Or perhaps it's too radical or unnecessary.

I've noticed that the great videos or the veteran amv makers have a well established group of beta testers, and the scheme I'm proposing would be redundant, but for those new and lessor known, it could be advantageous.

Or the org could declare war and make a codec that is unusable on youtube! Mwahahaha.

Coderjo
Org Profile

Post by Coderjo » Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:06 am

Beowulf wrote:The org should focus on quality, not cataloging every video ever made.
Midnightowl999 wrote:It might also be a way to turn a-m-v.org turn it into a cataloging center for amvs for future research
I'm not sure if everyone is aware, but the original purpose of the org was to be a catalog of AMVs. This was back in late 1999, and there wasn't really any database of known AMVs. Someone tried making a simple database on the AMV mailing list, but it never progressed past 20 entries. The reviews system was created at that time as well. Hosting of videos didn't come until 2003-2004 or thereabouts. The stars system came about because people were too lazy to leave reviews and creators complained about it. Quick comments came about after that, because people wanted to get/leave something more than the star rating, but less than a full review.

This summary of Org history was brought to you by the letters A, M, and V.

surfsama
Org Profile

Post by surfsama » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:58 am

It's hard to tell from the OP what exactly is wrong/happening here at the org but here's an idea:

There are a few areas in the forum's section that are worth their weight in code and they are the, "Help with..." sections.
If those areas could be arranged into a comprehensive cd/dvd and sold at conventions you could address several of the issues brought-up in this thread such as,
advertising, revenue, fan base, and reputation. Help with Adobe Premier, Help with Sony Vegas, Help with Adobe After Effects, Help with AviSynth, and the Help Guides are all gold mines of marketable information.

Just a thought...
Hide the Cheese Whiz

post-it
Org Profile

Post by post-it » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:27 pm

what I'd like to see more of is Embedded Video's at the Announcements First Message .. like this one == http://www.animemusicvideos.org/forum/v ... 3&t=101915

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:29 pm

post-it wrote:what I'd like to see more of is Embedded Video's at the Announcements First Message .. like this one == http://www.animemusicvideos.org/forum/v ... 3&t=101915
Isn't embedding of locally hosted videos a donators-only feature?
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

post-it
Org Profile

Post by post-it » Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:20 pm

Scintilla wrote:
post-it wrote:what I'd like to see more of is Embedded Video's at the Announcements First Message .. like this one == http://www.animemusicvideos.org/forum/v ... 3&t=101915
.. I've never noticed that option before ....

Kitsuner
Maximum Hotness
Org Profile

Post by Kitsuner » Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:55 pm

post-it wrote:
Scintilla wrote:
.. I've never noticed that option before ....
There's a link to Video Embedding at the bottom of the Editors drop down menu (for donators anyway).
OtakuGray wrote:Sometimes anime can branch out to a younger audience and this is one of those times where you wish children would just go die.
Stirspeare wrote:<Stirspeare> Lopez: Vanquish my virginity and flood me with kit. ["Ladies..."]

Return to “Site Announcements”