Mixed Aspect Ratio Mini-Guide

This forum is for questions and discussion of all the aspects of handling and cleaning up your footage with Avisynth.
Phantasmagoriat
Org Profile

Re: Mixed Aspect Ratio Mini-Guide

Post by Phantasmagoriat » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:19 pm

Oh right, I'm guessing that even if spline36resize can't really split a pixel in the end, it can still use the extra information in its resizing calculations. At least, I assume that's what's happening. Good to know |:>
Org Profile | AMVGuide | Phan Picks! | THE424SHOW | YouTube | "Painkiller"

"Effort to Understand; Effort to be Understood; to See through Different Eyes."

Mister Hatt
Org Profile

Post by Mister Hatt » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:49 am

Hurf durf didn't read all this tl;dr but Phantasmagoriat is wrong because he ignores active picture regions, overscan, and horizontal blanking (although this is RARE on DVDs.)

Phantasmagoriat
Org Profile

Post by Phantasmagoriat » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:12 pm

Mister Hatt wrote:Hurf durf didn't read all this tl;dr but Phantasmagoriat is wrong because he ignores active picture regions, overscan, and horizontal blanking (although this is RARE on DVDs.)
No, I just leave that up to the user to deal with if they care. Have fun brooding over the perfect 710.85 central pixels :aimkissyface:
ima still use crop(8,0,-8,0) and tweak values if need be :dino:
Org Profile | AMVGuide | Phan Picks! | THE424SHOW | YouTube | "Painkiller"

"Effort to Understand; Effort to be Understood; to See through Different Eyes."

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:40 am

Phantasmagoriat wrote:Have fun brooding over the perfect 710.85 central pixels :aimkissyface:
FYI, Cannonaire is the only one that actually bothers to that extent, AFAIK.

Cannonaire
Org Profile

Post by Cannonaire » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:22 pm

Using the AR calc and setting the exact DAR is hardly different; It just happens at a different step in the chain. It's not like I put in any extra effort now that I have the numbers figured out anyway, so why be close when you can be exact? :P I also certainly don't obsess over a centered picture, I'll leave that to the engineers who designed the NTSC spec :lol: ... it's just a happy side effect from the cropping in the resize lines. Like I said in the guide, the cropping is adjustable and your results will be similar to cropping to 702 in the end, which should to be enough for most sources. If not, just crop however you want after you've got a common PAR. That's what makes this method so easy: you don't need to use fancy calculations to set the proper DAR or SAR when you mux.
Image Think millionaire, but with cannons. || Resident Maaya Sakamoto fan.

Mister Hatt
Org Profile

Post by Mister Hatt » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:47 am

AR calc is totally faster and more sugoi and everyone should use it, write their own alternative, or get their hands on MAGICAL apps that are even better and do exceedingly hax things.

Cannonaire
Org Profile

Post by Cannonaire » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:01 pm

I have no hate for the AR calc; it is my preferred method. Except that it doesn't work if you are mixing 4:3 and anamorphic footage in the same video.
Image Think millionaire, but with cannons. || Resident Maaya Sakamoto fan.

Mister Hatt
Org Profile

Post by Mister Hatt » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:09 pm

It totally does if you resort to dirty hacks like ordered chapters with different AR's. IIRC most windows players hate this though because they don't reset the decoder on each segment like mplayer-uau does. But multiple AR's for anything never really works properly so it's understandable that the AR calc doesn't know. You need to pick either 4:3 or 16:9 or whatever else and rescale or pad to it. THEN you can calc it.

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:35 am

Mister Hatt wrote:It totally does if you resort to dirty hacks like ordered chapters with different AR's. IIRC most windows players hate this though because they don't reset the decoder on each segment like mplayer-uau does.
I recall Fluff saying that he didn't require it in his encode test for that and, IIRC, because even mkvmerge itself didn't support it properly. Might just be recalling wrong, though.

Mister Hatt
Org Profile

Post by Mister Hatt » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:51 am

Why would it make a difference to mkvmerge? You're muxing each file separately. I think you are recalling it wrong. Fluff's test was also ridiculously hard for what it was meant to cover. Apparently writing a test that messy-chan lazied out of and never finished makes you good enough to skip it tho, he's so smart.

Return to “AviSynth Help”