State of the Org - 10-13-10

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Re: State of the Org - 10-13-10

Post by Zarxrax » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:38 am

Regarding the state of the org, I think the reason why the site has decreased in popularity and why new members aren't coming here is a bit obvious if one takes a step back and looks at the situation clearly.
This site is primarily a resource for anime music video CREATORS. Almost every function and feature is designed with creators in mind. There is very little of interest here for a casual fan of amvs.

Some don't want this site to turn into YouTube, but I propose that if we want to expand the audience, this is exactly the direction that we need to move in. YouTube is amazing for viewers. You can easily leave comments about a particular video for OTHER VIEWERS. On the org... you leave comments for the creator. There is absolutely no interaction among the viewers.
On youtube, you watch a video, and then tons of other videos are presented to you all over the screen. Its very easy to start watching one thing, and then watch another 10 videos before you exit.
On the org... you watch a video, then you are done.

I need to sleep, so I'm not going to go much more into this right now, but I think the point that I'm making is clear. If the org wants to expand, then it can't remain focused ENTIRELY on creators. It has to offer something to the viewers as well.

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:20 am

Zarxrax wrote:This site is primarily a resource for anime music video CREATORS. Almost every function and feature is designed with creators in mind. There is very little of interest here for a casual fan of amvs.
Exactly.

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Post by Kireblue » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:01 am

Pwolf wrote:
Zarxrax wrote:This site is primarily a resource for anime music video CREATORS. Almost every function and feature is designed with creators in mind. There is very little of interest here for a casual fan of amvs.
Exactly.
I agree as well

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:32 am

kireblue wrote:
Pwolf wrote:
Exactly.
I agree as well
I like it this way and don't wish to see it change.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:55 am

This global announcement about redesign has uncovered a bug. That little page with arrow icon that appears on a thread that has new replies is supposed to automatically scroll your window to the newest post you haven't yet read. It works for other threads, but for this global announcement, it only brings you to the top of the most recent page.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

post-it
Org Profile

Post by post-it » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:38 am

BasharOfTheAges wrote:... It works for other threads, but for this global announcement, it only brings you to the top of the most recent page.
well, in order for the first statement to remain on the screen .. and the others to be scroll-able is not
that hard to do. The trick is the subject which follow:
.. We used to do something like this on our message boards with streamloader accounts ..
are you sure you want to return to those old days????

FYI .. it was just a simple subjects listing with expandable/collapsible sub-messaging drawers.
.. they required a monitor to clean-up and grant access. we never tryed to add pictures to that java!

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:28 pm

It's a bug with the "global announcement" message type. That's it.
| | |

godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Post by godix » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:07 am

BasharOfTheAges wrote:This global announcement about redesign has uncovered a bug. That little page with arrow icon that appears on a thread that has new replies is supposed to automatically scroll your window to the newest post you haven't yet read. It works for other threads, but for this global announcement, it only brings you to the top of the most recent page.
If you are reading whichever board this message was originally posted to, then it works correctly. Since it's global though, it appears on all boards. So if you're reading this on a different board than it was posted to then the behavior you mention happens. At least, last time I noticed this issue that was what was going on. I didn't look into it for this specific thread though. Probably same deal still.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:11 am

godix wrote:
BasharOfTheAges wrote:This global announcement about redesign has uncovered a bug. That little page with arrow icon that appears on a thread that has new replies is supposed to automatically scroll your window to the newest post you haven't yet read. It works for other threads, but for this global announcement, it only brings you to the top of the most recent page.
If you are reading whichever board this message was originally posted to, then it works correctly. Since it's global though, it appears on all boards. So if you're reading this on a different board than it was posted to then the behavior you mention happens. At least, last time I noticed this issue that was what was going on. I didn't look into it for this specific thread though. Probably same deal still.
Good catch.
| | |

Knowname
Org Profile

Post by Knowname » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:06 pm

Zarxrax wrote:Some don't want this site to turn into YouTube, but I propose that if we want to expand the audience, this is exactly the direction that we need to move in.
I want an 'expanded' audience... I don't necessarily want it to be popular. What I want is more tech-nerds on this site! Why are we an 'anime' site? we are equal part 'video' and even 'music' are we not? yet somehow we only attract the 'anime' croud? I myself am more interested in the video aspect. It would do our guides good if we had more techies on hand though.
Zarxrax wrote:YouTube is amazing for viewers. You can easily leave comments about a particular video for OTHER VIEWERS. On the org... you leave comments for the creator. There is absolutely no interaction among the viewers.
easy, leave OPINIONS!! QCs are the BANE of this site! I been saying that since the beginning!
Zarxrax wrote:On youtube, you watch a video, and then tons of other videos are presented to you all over the screen. Its very easy to start watching one thing, and then watch another 10 videos before you exit.
On the org... you watch a video, then you are done.
VERY good idea! Playlists! I would also like to click on a person's name and watch all the videos in his top 50 (with a editable playlist on the side ofc just in case you want to take any of them off) can we do this? Perhaps it'd get ppl to fill out their top 50's more... and how do we do this?? by writing ops!

I had a suggestion back in the day, akin to how the OC Remix artists have links on last.fm and wikipedia WHY don't we have such?? Now it would be stupid to give myself a wikipedia article (would it??) but how about Phade? Forget Wikipedia, but. how about we link some of our anime series' to animenfo.com or something.
If you do not think so... you will DIE

Return to “Site Announcements”