Org Profile

Re: State of the Org - 10-13-10

Post by Nya-chan Production » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:55 am

I think you're just overreacting now |:

Midnightowl999
Org Profile

Post by Midnightowl999 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:03 am

Ok. Then I hope it's not an issue even if it is not exactly related to the state of the address per say.............I hope I am overacting. My friend. :). I was only addressing an opinion and a concern. No more.
In attempting to make AMV's, I learned one important lesson. When ya screw up, you can always blame sleep deprivation or laugh madly out loud. It makes you feel better. Trust me it does. :P

GloryQuestor
Moderation Hero
Org Profile

Post by GloryQuestor » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:14 am

I heard about this legislation, also. Seems that they just can't keep their noses out of other people's business, as usual. (But then, that's been the story for a long time -- just look at the mess trying to get video gaming regulation laws passed. :roll: )

Basically, if this passes, then they really will have power to control not just fan film sites, but potentially all of the media in general. It'll be more money dumped into a bottomless pit and a battle that the copyright holders don't want them largely involved in.

Still, I'm keeping a close eye on it, since it'll be interesting to see what eventually happens should it pass.
Website Administrator, AnimeMusicVideos.Org
Samurai Warriors Productions
Pittsburgh Japanese Culture Society Events - AMV Department Head
Middle Tennessee Anime Convention - Main Events Operations Manager
Anime Weekend Atlanta - Senior Manager of Programming - Video Art Track

-MD
Org Profile

Post by -MD » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:24 am

:|

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:41 am

This all seems to have happened while I was away. I'll say I try to do my part by linking all ballots and whatnot back here, so that people can get their vids from the source as opposed to youtube. It's a little gesture, but every little bit helps.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Post by godix » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:30 pm

If you follow politics at all, you'll realize that

A) Congress is currently having a really hard time doing jack shit. Especially since they aren't even in session at the moment.
B) Congress won't come back until it's past the election and they're dead ducks. So they probably won't do much, and what they focus on will be basically short term stuff (possible unemployement extension for example)
C) This most likely was more about getting donations from movie studios/RIAA/etc than about actually becoming a law
D) Sending something to committee means they aren't nearly ready to vote on it. Give the above, odds are it'll never make it out of committee before the new session starts.

Which all means this proposal is, effectively, dead. At least this time around. It may come back next year, but it'd have to start over from scratch basically.

post-it
Org Profile

Post by post-it » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:59 pm

.. was there ever a point when legislation has not been raised for/against anything for any reason? Nobody should ever be
afraid of doing something because it will make someone else cry T_T .. the world is full of Whiners; we make them homeless
and live on the streets when they don't fit-in to our truths. Slowly but surely, this picture is finally becoming fact for Managers
around the world. The Economy has nothing to do with those not-in-the-loop.
.. Just set the standards and live-by what-you-preach. This org was put together for a common purpose. legislators are always
pushing buttons to make thing go their way; My teams got 43 baseball-bats with rusty-nails in them "just waiting for any policy
to be cast before me." .. where do you stand?

.. think about it before you answer!

P.S. .. you guys "do have a plan of action for these legislations .. right??

Zero Link
Org Profile

Post by Zero Link » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:13 pm

I don't think people realize I wasn't serious about the whole logo idea.

Midnightowl999
Org Profile

Post by Midnightowl999 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:45 pm

What I say is something to consider no more. I want a future home for the amv's eventually to become an archive or a library for future otaku. No more. We may be a force to be reckon with now........................we need to THINK on this now carefully and use our heads now....That's all I am saying as well. I like to be a member ten years from now, not banned from the site because the government say so. Let's think before we leap. Simply put. :). Solutions. Thank you for responding!
In attempting to make AMV's, I learned one important lesson. When ya screw up, you can always blame sleep deprivation or laugh madly out loud. It makes you feel better. Trust me it does. :P

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:17 pm

In the end, the government has a way too much on it's plate already so I would not worry about that aspect. If in the future something happens that will threaten it, we will just adapt to it in some way as Fandam has been adpating for the past 30 years.

What it all boils down to is that a site is the sum of all it's active members. Hence the personality is not derived from a handfull of admins / mods, but the people who come here. Sure it's easy to say this place sucks and leave, but really in the end if you want to get away from all the politics and issues associated with any hobby, you'd have to go live in a cave and take up rock collecting (WAIT, then the IRS will come after you for not paying taxes!!!) so in the end you can't run away and it's up to all those in the community to help make it better... we just have to understand that this is a hobby and as such we should have fun with it :D

Vlad
Sakura-Con 2013 - 2019, 2022 AMV Coordinator
Otafest 2012 - 2024 AMV Coordinator
Animethon 2003 - 2024 AMV Coordinator

Return to “Site Announcements”