State of the Org - 10-13-10

This forum is for site announcements. Please go here to read the SITE & FORUM RULES.

Re: State of the Org - 10-13-10

Postby Nya-chan Production » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:55 am

I think you're just overreacting now |:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view

Postby Midnightowl999 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:03 am

Ok. Then I hope it's not an issue even if it is not exactly related to the state of the address per say.............I hope I am overacting. My friend. :). I was only addressing an opinion and a concern. No more.
In attempting to make AMV's, I learned one important lesson. When ya screw up, you can always blame sleep deprivation or laugh madly out loud. It makes you feel better. Trust me it does. :P
Midnightowl999

Postby GloryQuestor » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:14 am

I heard about this legislation, also. Seems that they just can't keep their noses out of other people's business, as usual. (But then, that's been the story for a long time -- just look at the mess trying to get video gaming regulation laws passed. :roll: )

Basically, if this passes, then they really will have power to control not just fan film sites, but potentially all of the media in general. It'll be more money dumped into a bottomless pit and a battle that the copyright holders don't want them largely involved in.

Still, I'm keeping a close eye on it, since it'll be interesting to see what eventually happens should it pass.
( :| Serious Business Studios :| )
Website Administrator, AnimeMusicVideos.Org
Pittsburgh Japanese Culture Society Events - AMV Department Head
Anime Weekend Atlanta - Video Art Track Department Supervisor
Another Anime Convention - Fan-Works Theater Staff
ImageImage
GloryQuestor
Moderation Hero

Postby -MD » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:24 am

:|
-MD

Postby BasharOfTheAges » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:41 am

This all seems to have happened while I was away. I'll say I try to do my part by linking all ballots and whatnot back here, so that people can get their vids from the source as opposed to youtube. It's a little gesture, but every little bit helps.
BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?

Postby godix » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:30 pm

If you follow politics at all, you'll realize that

A) Congress is currently having a really hard time doing jack shit. Especially since they aren't even in session at the moment.
B) Congress won't come back until it's past the election and they're dead ducks. So they probably won't do much, and what they focus on will be basically short term stuff (possible unemployement extension for example)
C) This most likely was more about getting donations from movie studios/RIAA/etc than about actually becoming a law
D) Sending something to committee means they aren't nearly ready to vote on it. Give the above, odds are it'll never make it out of committee before the new session starts.

Which all means this proposal is, effectively, dead. At least this time around. It may come back next year, but it'd have to start over from scratch basically.
godix
a disturbed member

Postby post-it » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:59 pm

.. was there ever a point when legislation has not been raised for/against anything for any reason? Nobody should ever be
afraid of doing something because it will make someone else cry T_T .. the world is full of Whiners; we make them homeless
and live on the streets when they don't fit-in to our truths. Slowly but surely, this picture is finally becoming fact for Managers
around the world. The Economy has nothing to do with those not-in-the-loop.
.. Just set the standards and live-by what-you-preach. This org was put together for a common purpose. legislators are always
pushing buttons to make thing go their way; My teams got 43 baseball-bats with rusty-nails in them "just waiting for any policy
to be cast before me." .. where do you stand?

.. think about it before you answer!

P.S. .. you guys "do have a plan of action for these legislations .. right??
post-it

Postby Zero Link » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:13 pm

I don't think people realize I wasn't serious about the whole logo idea.
Zero Link

Postby Midnightowl999 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:45 pm

What I say is something to consider no more. I want a future home for the amv's eventually to become an archive or a library for future otaku. No more. We may be a force to be reckon with now........................we need to THINK on this now carefully and use our heads now....That's all I am saying as well. I like to be a member ten years from now, not banned from the site because the government say so. Let's think before we leap. Simply put. :). Solutions. Thank you for responding!
In attempting to make AMV's, I learned one important lesson. When ya screw up, you can always blame sleep deprivation or laugh madly out loud. It makes you feel better. Trust me it does. :P
Midnightowl999

Postby Vlad G Pohnert » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:17 pm

In the end, the government has a way too much on it's plate already so I would not worry about that aspect. If in the future something happens that will threaten it, we will just adapt to it in some way as Fandam has been adpating for the past 30 years.

What it all boils down to is that a site is the sum of all it's active members. Hence the personality is not derived from a handfull of admins / mods, but the people who come here. Sure it's easy to say this place sucks and leave, but really in the end if you want to get away from all the politics and issues associated with any hobby, you'd have to go live in a cave and take up rock collecting (WAIT, then the IRS will come after you for not paying taxes!!!) so in the end you can't run away and it's up to all those in the community to help make it better... we just have to understand that this is a hobby and as such we should have fun with it :D

Vlad
Sakura-Con 2013 - 2014 AMV Coordinator
AX 2012 - 2014 AMV Assistant Manager
AWA Atlanta 2011-2014 VAT Programming Head
Otafest 2012 - 2014 AMV Coordinator
Animethon 11 - 21 AMV Coordinator
Vlad G Pohnert

Postby Zarxrax » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:38 am

Regarding the state of the org, I think the reason why the site has decreased in popularity and why new members aren't coming here is a bit obvious if one takes a step back and looks at the situation clearly.
This site is primarily a resource for anime music video CREATORS. Almost every function and feature is designed with creators in mind. There is very little of interest here for a casual fan of amvs.

Some don't want this site to turn into YouTube, but I propose that if we want to expand the audience, this is exactly the direction that we need to move in. YouTube is amazing for viewers. You can easily leave comments about a particular video for OTHER VIEWERS. On the org... you leave comments for the creator. There is absolutely no interaction among the viewers.
On youtube, you watch a video, and then tons of other videos are presented to you all over the screen. Its very easy to start watching one thing, and then watch another 10 videos before you exit.
On the org... you watch a video, then you are done.

I need to sleep, so I'm not going to go much more into this right now, but I think the point that I'm making is clear. If the org wants to expand, then it can't remain focused ENTIRELY on creators. It has to offer something to the viewers as well.
Zarxrax

Postby Pwolf » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:20 am

Zarxrax wrote:This site is primarily a resource for anime music video CREATORS. Almost every function and feature is designed with creators in mind. There is very little of interest here for a casual fan of amvs.

Exactly.
ImageImage
ImageImage
Like the AMV .Org App? Think about donating to help me make it better.
Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle

Postby kireblue » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:01 am

Pwolf wrote:
Zarxrax wrote:This site is primarily a resource for anime music video CREATORS. Almost every function and feature is designed with creators in mind. There is very little of interest here for a casual fan of amvs.

Exactly.

I agree as well
MomoCon AMV Exhibitions Director
Seishun Con Fan Media Director
kireblue

Postby Athena » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:32 am

kireblue wrote:
Pwolf wrote:

Exactly.

I agree as well

I like it this way and don't wish to see it change.
Athena
I ♥ the 80's

Postby BasharOfTheAges » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:55 am

This global announcement about redesign has uncovered a bug. That little page with arrow icon that appears on a thread that has new replies is supposed to automatically scroll your window to the newest post you haven't yet read. It works for other threads, but for this global announcement, it only brings you to the top of the most recent page.
BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?

PreviousNext

Return to Site Announcements