State of the Org - 10-13-10

Beowulf
Org Profile

Re: State of the Org - 10-13-10

Post by Beowulf » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:51 pm

I for one, love the fact that we are shrinking back down to a somewhat more village like atmosphere. I like that we have scared people away because they don't want to hear feedback. Let us have the people who are really into it and/or have something to say, and let youtube have everyone else.

Its folly to try to compete with youtube. The org should focus on quality, not cataloging every video ever made. Let the org be apple, let youtube be the pc.

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:15 pm

Beowulf wrote:Let the org be apple, let youtube be the pc.
You just scared me... D:

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:20 pm

Beowulf wrote:Let the org be the pc let youtube be the apple.
Fixed.
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:25 pm

Castor Troy wrote:
Fixed.
:up: :up: :up: :up:

trythil
is
Org Profile

Stereotypes are not always false

Post by trythil » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:46 pm

Beowulf wrote: Its folly to try to compete with youtube. The org should focus on quality, not cataloging every video ever made. Let the org be apple, let youtube be the pc.
So YouTube is the quiet majority and the .org is the loud-talking, annoying hipster douchebag with two-day-old stubble, a keffiyeh, the orange Timbuk2 messenger bag, a plaid shirt and slim-fit Nudie jeans?

You know, that's actually pretty accurate. YouTube isn't really quiet, but perhaps it can be conceived as a soundproof echo chamber.

Overture
Org Profile

Post by Overture » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:26 am

Nya-chan Production wrote:
Overture wrote:besides the ease of use, why not hold more contests? like amvnews' site, they hold several "themed" contests yearly. like level-up; experienced author teamed with a novice, novice does 100% of the editing. versus author; basically a one on one tourny. Do the M@d. Crossover. or just the general Big Contest. that way we can promote MORE amv uploads, a REASON to LEARN to upload and get good at it. and MORE "active" members from other amv communities to join in ours. why do you think russian sites like akross and news has so much activity compared to us? because they have better reasons to attract other communities members and to KEEP them there.
We can't hold most of those - mainly because it's bad to rip off other's contests, and ripping off ALL of them would be just... ewww.
yea and i totally agree it will be....ewww :ying: but then again, obviously they didnt invent amv contests. so us holding at least a couple more here and there won't be ripping them. as long as we think of different concepts for our contests, we'll be stealin nothin^^ amvs are for fun. contests are for fun. lets have more fun on the org |:>
Nya-chan Production wrote:
Overture wrote:as for the logos, why not have everyone in the contests put the a-m-v.org logo in their contest entries if they choose to? almost like an unwritten rule to pay their respects to the org.that way not every random good or bad or ugly amv will promote or slander a-m-v.org's name. itll be more serious amv's representing. PLUS i cant see people putting the logo in their amvs for very long b4 deciding that their too lazy or their not just an org user.
Not really - taking part in a contest can't guarantee you that the AMV itself will be good. There're a lot of bad AKROSS vids with AKROSS logo in them - nobody knows them, though.
exactly. nobody knows the bad Akross vids with the logos. since only ever do the better videos get spread through other communities. so if we put the a-m-v.org logo in our contest amvs, then better amvs will spread more for the most part. and itll sell itself :asd: its fine to have a few less than perfect amvs in a contest. thats inevitable. still, point being theres no harm in it, and its a decent reputation boost for us for not much work :up:
Nya-chan Production wrote:We have something planned - it's a secret so far, though, mainly because it's not really sure it'll be done.
wish you all luck with that :awesome: hopefully it pulls through :up:
Castor Troy wrote:
Fixed.
i love yew :ying:

anyone brainstorming interesting contest concepts would be a help^^ while staying away from amvnews' contests (tho i dont see the same in adopting their more broad ones like crossover where you just mix at least two animes together. or even a real org contest where you submit an amv special for it, unlike the VCA's). tho something like Project Editor might be a little hard to keep pulling together. that is, if its agreed contests are a definite plus? :up:

Midnightowl999
Org Profile

Post by Midnightowl999 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:32 am

Hm...........Funny it was going to come to this nature. Maybe preserving its history like I believe Phade intended by catologuing is the right move, but this crap is now circulating.

A bipartisan group of Senators has united to introduce the “Combating Online Infringement and Counterfeits Act”, a law designed to fight online piracy.

In a rare sign of bipartisan cooperation, members of Congress have come together to propose a piece of legislation to fight digital piracy. The new law is set to go before the Senate Judiciary Committee, and would specifically target websites that the legislation says are “dedicated to making infringing activities”.

According to a report from the website Gameindustry.biz, the bill, which was co-sponsored by the Judiciary Committee’s chairman, Senator Patrick Leahy (D-VT), will be discussed this Thursday.

Once the bill begins to receive action, expect several, and inevitable challenges as to what constitutes a website that is “dedicated to making infringing activities”.

The language of the bill- which will almost certainly be immediately challenged in court- states that any website that is “primarily designed, has no demonstrable, commercially significant purpose or use other than…to offer goods or services in violation of title 17, United States Code” will face shutdown.

Once the law begins to be discussed, the committee can, and likely will, apply for a temporary injunction against domestic based websites accused of violating the law. This will include most U.S.-based bit torrent sites, as well as any search engines that look for material that is then used in peer-to-peer sharing.

As for foreign websites, they would receive a cease and desist order to “prevent the importation into the United States of goods and services offering by an internet site dedicated to infringing activities.”

Once a website is served with an injunction, they will have the right to appeal, which will then send it to the federal courts.

The potential law has the support of several major entertainment industry groups, including companies like Viacom, which owns MTV, Harmonix, and many media and entertainment groups. Expect more groups to throw in their support as well, and expect many lawsuits to follow.

The other sponsors of the bill are: Evan Bayh (D-Ind.), Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) Orin Hatch (R-UT), Amy Klobuchar (D-MN), Herb Kohl (D-WI), Chuck Schumer (D-NY), Arlen Specter (D-PA), George Voinovich (R-OH) and Sheldon Whitehouse (D-RI).

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/ ... -congress/

Explain this one. I like to know what is going to happen if this goes through. It's getting really scary now.
In attempting to make AMV's, I learned one important lesson. When ya screw up, you can always blame sleep deprivation or laugh madly out loud. It makes you feel better. Trust me it does. :P

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:40 am

Midnightowl, while this is pretty much relevant to AMVs I fear it's not that much relevant to this topic >.>

Also, this is pretty much aimed towards torrenting, not AMVs

Midnightowl999
Org Profile

Post by Midnightowl999 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:53 am

It won't matter if youtube or a-m-v.org fights it. This is will affect all works eventually. Talk about exploitation of freedom of expression. Only way is preserve its history and remember to keep the art alive. It may be officially underground soon enough. The only avenue is a good avenue. The anime cons. I agree with that route. It may be the only way to help legitimatize this. Folks. The anime cons could be the answer to using a-m-v.org as a promotional tool and even, help work with the industries. Good idea. It might also be a way to turn a-m-v.org turn it into a cataloging center for amvs for future research of works for anime cons to have access too or even anime industries AND other media industries to get promotional ideas. A library. Maybe the sacrifice will be. Stop downloading others works unless its your own. No more downloading!! It might be possible to enjoy a work by just viewing it. THAT might be what bugging up the government's ass and the industries might think differently if the anime cons are only using it to help promote anime and the music they play.....................I like the state of the address and alot of its ideas. Think cataloging, NOT downloading unless it's your own. And even that may stop as well. If you make an amv for a contest. Then it should be put in a-m-v.org for preservation purpose. Anime cons throw out the disks anyway. If you make an amv. Make it a good one. That would be where a-m-v.org contests come in..................If you do good. It stays on the org. Only ideas folks. Maybe a way to analyze this differently is needed and a way to keep an eye on quality of works, but the downfall eventually will be to satisfy the governments to lay off us especially for now for U.S. members. Maybe the idea will be enough is to eliminate downloading all together. Just view the works. That should be enough and a-m-v.org can preserve the art form without breaking the laws. It also forces people to work harder to make better amvs and not put crap on. Anime cons and stop downloading. Two possible sacrifices to preserve this site. It may let us live and fight a bit longer until something better comes along...................................Also a negotiating tool to keep us alive.....................
In attempting to make AMV's, I learned one important lesson. When ya screw up, you can always blame sleep deprivation or laugh madly out loud. It makes you feel better. Trust me it does. :P

Midnightowl999
Org Profile

Post by Midnightowl999 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:54 am

Amvs are still a possible form of copyright infringement and still might be considered pirating. . No matter the grey area. They can still burn us.Nyan-Chan.
Last edited by Midnightowl999 on Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Site Announcements”