State of the Org - 10-13-10

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Re: State of the Org - 10-13-10

Post by Nya-chan Production » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:54 pm

GloryQuestor wrote:We're getting things done.
If anyone forgot what the topic was about ;>

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:24 pm

I thought this thread was about banners O:

Nya-chan Production
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:25 pm

Oh, right...

Jaddzia, make moar banners! :<

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:36 pm

Zero Link wrote:You know, we should hide a-m-v.org logos in every amv.
I'm totally going to start doing this.

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:46 pm

Is the org currently being redesigned? (like from the ground up?)
Is there any way for us users to see what is planned, and try to influence the design?

And whats wrong with having a huge donation drive and then hiring a team to make the site?

Niotex
The Phantom Canine
Org Profile

Post by Niotex » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:26 am

Still waiting for my green light. I know it's coming though so I'll be patient. I'm just not sure if I'll have time once I do get my green light. Guess I'll actually have to be productive when the time comes around.
Spoiler :
Green light go go go
Green light go go go
Red light no no no
Green light go go go

Nya-chan Production
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:23 am

Zarxrax wrote:Is the org currently being redesigned? (like from the ground up?)
Is there any way for us users to see what is planned, and try to influence the design?

And whats wrong with having a huge donation drive and then hiring a team to make the site?
Not yet, but when the time comes, there probably will be some user influence "needed", because last time I checked we didn't have any real designer among us, only programmers.

As for the donation drive - we considered and in the end were against it, because:
- it would take too much time.
- there's no assuring that we'll get that much.
- it's expensive. A lot.
- Phade had some demands on the final code that probably wouldn't be met with hiring of a professional team.

Overture
Org Profile

Post by Overture » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:28 pm

(skimmed through thread cuz im lazy:D)

im not so sure the logo in everyones amvs is the "best" option. but it IS a good idea to show people where to get high quality amvs. tho its also a bit of a hassle depending how you incorporate the logo. its always a pain putting the Akross logo in your amv every year:/ tho not a big one. :ying:

and do we need more "members" on the org? or more active people? the org has quite a bit of members or people who are aware about it. but i think the reason why people arent active or fall out of being active is wat we need to focus on most. like how i always hear people complain about how hard it is to just upload. im constantly teaching people or linking them to the upload guides. then after a while, they get sick of it and run off to an easier site to use. obviously. :sweat:

besides the ease of use, why not hold more contests? like amvnews' site, they hold several "themed" contests yearly. like level-up; experienced author teamed with a novice, novice does 100% of the editing. versus author; basically a one on one tourny. Do the M@d. Crossover. or just the general Big Contest. that way we can promote MORE amv uploads, a REASON to LEARN to upload and get good at it. and MORE "active" members from other amv communities to join in ours. why do you think russian sites like akross and news has so much activity compared to us? because they have better reasons to attract other communities members and to KEEP them there.

as for the logos, why not have everyone in the contests put the a-m-v.org logo in there contest entries if they choose to? almost like an unwritten rule to pay their respects to the org.that way not every random good or bad or ugly amv will promote or slander a-m-v.org's name. itll be more serious amv's representing. PLUS i cant see people putting the logo in their amvs for very long b4 deciding that their too lazy or their not just an org user.

-ease of access
-gimmicks to get people here
-logo in their amvs for our gimmicks

:bzz: i think more things like contests is the way to go. get more people to come here, to be more active, and to spread the word. business cards are alrite. but the people who come here will all be active why? give them a reason to be.

not everyone might like the idea of contests since amvnews already does it. but come the eff on. introduce a community of highly competitive amv making and contests to the ORG community too rather than just that russian community. not everyone knows about the russian sites. org can target more people than news can being more known and widespread. so why not? we can always think of other ideas as well.

we could even have bigger contests for banners and whatnot. whoever makes the best poster for there studio or themselves. i dont kno. "we're more than just amvs...we're art in general....?"

just trying to brainstorm here... :ying:

Nya-chan Production
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:35 pm

Overture wrote:besides the ease of use, why not hold more contests? like amvnews' site, they hold several "themed" contests yearly. like level-up; experienced author teamed with a novice, novice does 100% of the editing. versus author; basically a one on one tourny. Do the M@d. Crossover. or just the general Big Contest. that way we can promote MORE amv uploads, a REASON to LEARN to upload and get good at it. and MORE "active" members from other amv communities to join in ours. why do you think russian sites like akross and news has so much activity compared to us? because they have better reasons to attract other communities members and to KEEP them there.
We can't hold most of those - mainly because it's bad to rip off other's contests, and ripping off ALL of them would be just... ewww.
Overture wrote:as for the logos, why not have everyone in the contests put the a-m-v.org logo in their contest entries if they choose to? almost like an unwritten rule to pay their respects to the org.that way not every random good or bad or ugly amv will promote or slander a-m-v.org's name. itll be more serious amv's representing. PLUS i cant see people putting the logo in their amvs for very long b4 deciding that their too lazy or their not just an org user.
Not really - taking part in a contest can't guarantee you that the AMV itself will be good. There're a lot of bad AKROSS vids with AKROSS logo in them - nobody knows them, though.
Overture wrote:-ease of access
-gimmicks to get people here
-logo in their amvs for our gimmicks
Working on it.

:bzz: i think more things like contests is the way to go. get more people to come here, to be more active, and to spread the word. business cards are alrite. but the people who come here will all be active why? give them a reason to be.

not everyone might like the idea of contests since amvnews already does it. but come the eff on. introduce a community of highly competitive amv making and contests to the ORG community too rather than just that russian community. not everyone knows about the russian sites. org can target more people than news can being more known and widespread. so why not? we can always think of other ideas as well.[/quote]
We have something planned - it's a secret so far, though, mainly because it's not really sure it'll be done.
Overture wrote:we could even have bigger contests for banners and whatnot. whoever makes the best poster for there studio or themselves. i dont kno. "we're more than just amvs...we're art in general....?"

just trying to brainstorm here... :ying:
Studio poster will be possible in future, I/we hope, but then it will be more of a thing for that studio.
But any ideas are welcome - some of them might catch on and prevail for many years to come.

GloryQuestor
Moderation Hero
Org Profile

Post by GloryQuestor » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:49 pm

Nya-chan Production wrote:
Overture wrote:besides the ease of use, why not hold more contests? like amvnews' site, they hold several "themed" contests yearly. like level-up; experienced author teamed with a novice, novice does 100% of the editing. versus author; basically a one on one tourny. Do the M@d. Crossover. or just the general Big Contest. that way we can promote MORE amv uploads, a REASON to LEARN to upload and get good at it. and MORE "active" members from other amv communities to join in ours. why do you think russian sites like akross and news has so much activity compared to us? because they have better reasons to attract other communities members and to KEEP them there.
We can't hold most of those - mainly because it's bad to rip off other's contests, and ripping off ALL of them would be just... ewww.

We have something planned - it's a secret so far, though, mainly because it's not really sure it'll be done.
I can confirm that we are going to be officially hosting another contest next year to offset the VCAs and Logo contests. More on that when the time comes around. ;)
Website Administrator, AnimeMusicVideos.Org
Samurai Warriors Productions
Pittsburgh Japanese Culture Society Events - AMV Department Head
Middle Tennessee Anime Convention - Main Events Operations Manager
Anime Weekend Atlanta - Senior Manager of Programming - Video Art Track

Return to “Site Announcements”