Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Re: State of the Org - 10-13-10

Post by Pwolf » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:37 am

OropherZero wrote:
Pwolf wrote: So, get off your asses and learn php :|
<?php

?>
All all seriousness what you say is hypocritical. I've been asking this a lot over the past few years yet everytime the response was 'we already have programmers and don't want anyone else in'.
Who said that?

Pwolf
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:43 am

ZephyrStar wrote:haunter103 and myself ran into a fellow creator at AWA in the dealer's room. She had a video in the contest, she said it was her first time entering the contest. I mentioned the org, and asked her if she knew of it, and she replied with something like "no, I stay away from there, all they do is rip you a new one. I'll be much better off on youtube." I don't think anything can be done about this. Whether she doesn't understand constructive criticism, or whether she was actually harassed and insulted by somebody, how do we reach out to new editors? How do we make them understand? I dunno :/
Youtube is a great place for instant gratification... If it's not instant, its at least a lot less critical. We tend to be too honest here, or a at least a little bit more honest. New people like youtube because they can get that instant gratification... as soon as they come here, their little world is crushed. I don't think that's a bad thing. It's been the reality of the org for a long time. I don't think the org needs to change that. The org just needs to make itself more accessible as a resource for AMV editing knowledge and not try to compete as a content distribution center like youtube.

JudgeHolden
Org Profile

Post by JudgeHolden » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:15 am

Also, people need to donate. If anything will really end the org's existance it will be lack of capital. I know this is something Phade worries about.

HalOfBorg
Org Profile

Post by HalOfBorg » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:58 am

When/if I get rich, there are several sites/companies that will profit nicely, so hope for the massive success of "Star Ruler".
Help HalOfBorg fight his cancer - http://www.gofundme.com/21ygdk

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Vivaldi
Polemic Apologist
Org Profile

Post by Vivaldi » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:06 pm

ZephyrStar wrote:haunter103 and myself ran into a fellow creator at AWA in the dealer's room. She had a video in the contest, she said it was her first time entering the contest. I mentioned the org, and asked her if she knew of it, and she replied with something like "no, I stay away from there, all they do is rip you a new one. I'll be much better off on youtube." I don't think anything can be done about this. Whether she doesn't understand constructive criticism, or whether she was actually harassed and insulted by somebody, how do we reach out to new editors? How do we make them understand? I dunno :/
It's not so much "understanding" constructive criticism as placing a different value on it, and I'm not sure I disagree. For starters, let me point out constructive criticism and harassment are not actually mutually exclusive. For most people posting a video they had a presumably good, if not exhausting, time making, and then becoming suffocated under a deluge "constructive" critique that's both humiliating and unwanted in the first place is rightfully a huge turnoff. Some people claim that academic critique is the most, or indeed only valuable thing to say about a video, and that those who want otherwise are ultimately worthless as amv makers and generally narcissistic. I find this notion absurd, the fact is people make and post videos to participate in the community. Amvs are something they enjoy, and in the digital sense people just want to hang out. To talk about amvs rather than constructively argue. This isn't just an anomaly of the amv hobby, look at film, music, writing, or art: the kind of analytic criticism we pat ourselves on the back for generously giving is usually grossly inappropriate outside of a competition environment.

A codified ruleset for discussing amvs is ridiculous, but for my money I'd say the announcement threads are intended for saying what you think, not for actual analysis. If you generally liked an amv, say you like it. If you didn't just say "meh" or refrain from posting. If you know them closely or they're clearly asking for a grating opinion, feel free to say what you want. It's not rocket science, just basic etiquette

Basically just chill out, the fact that we're actually seriously discussing how to not act like douchbags when people post videos means I've broken my own rule.
<Kenzichu> HAHAHA!!
<Kenzichu> everyone died!

godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Post by godix » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:59 pm

You know, GQ shouldn't be expected to tell us where the community is going. We shouldn't expect to get much feedback from the admins, or worry they're not taking anything seriously. We don't need feedback from the admins. This isn't a dictatorship where our leaders on high give us orders. Users are the community, we should decide and do things ourselves. If anything, we should be the one telling GQ where the community is going.

I was going to rant for awhile about how pathetic we are to expect the administration to magically fix everything, but I have a paper for Ethics class I gotta write later today. I'll save my sarcasm and curses words for that. Instead I'll just point out, if any user wants something done then it's best they do it themselves. Think the org needs more/updated guides? Then write them. Think we need to be nicer and not give criticism on videos? Then be nicer and don't criticize. Think the org needs more promotion? There's hundreds of banners available, start using them. Quit thinking that 'head admin' is synonymous with 'the guy who must do everything'. Site coding and updates, the only thing that really requires special permission to the site to do, are only a small part of where we're going. I can think of dozens of things that could be done to improve the site that don't need your name in green or red to do. Quit whining about how the admins don't do anything and start doing it yourself guys.

post-it
Org Profile

Post by post-it » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:16 pm

a complete ramble on our future and its past; we haven't changed one bit around-here!!!

.. I'm trying to remember how things were, back in 2002, and even around 1993 when MPEG was becoming
a video standard. What I'm hearing from way-to-many-people seems to be the same stuff that we were
confused-about when I was first starting at this location: Storage and Download-ability.
1) 1993. Reveal TV-500 Capture Card. You could record thing from TV and Cable. Asymetrix Video Editor
was simple and did not cost very-much however; there were no Codec's which would shrink our files in the
VFW-1.1 era. A 14.4 modem was the norm and an 800 number connected you to the Internet for free.
2) 1998. ATI Capture Cards were All-In-Wonder disasters and the Divx 4.11 was a true head-ache with
greened-out playback video. True; it looked good when somebody got-it-right -- which was rare!
3) Late 1999. Those who didn't have a clue about Computers dominated the Press and the News Media
which basically covered "everyones attention" and we were stuck living through their lies. Very few
DVD's were available and DVD Ripping was left to those who could afford the Rippers. Doom9 had
many usefull tools and helped quite a bit ^__^. VCDhelp.com was started and its was great to be
and editor again. There was rumour of a site which dealt in Video Editing but, no one at Tokyo Underground,
Bobbies World ( she worked out of her college dorm ^_^ ) nor other message-boards knew where they were!?!
4) 2002. The Y2K scare was dropped and nobody even cared that they had been lied-to; those people
still have their jobs and Windows XP was flooding the markets. Some damage did come from XP but
nobody cared that the software designed in C++ no longer worked in this platform; so .. everybody bought
new Software .. .. only to find-out that "it" could do less than the old-perfered and reliable norms which
we all loved to hate: Virtual Dub, anything from Avid, MGI and Ulead didn't seem to understand what its
job was intended to be designed for, and Magix replaced AiST!!! DVD Rippers were now common place.
5) 2003 - 2007. Vista came and was quickly replaced by Windows XP ( again ) while System 7 was failing
to proof-itself useful with failing Winfile: on my laptop, it fails every time to even scan the directory which
was given a short-cut-to! The Weapons of Mass-Destruction were totally missed by the media because they
didn't understand that a stock-pile of over-produced-products sitting-in-warehouses could possibly be a
threat/danger to anyone except maybe a bank! The Threat was Management. Their Crime; over-produce
to get their quota's and then store the unsellable goods in a warehouse that the company would not have
access to. With the money tied-up in warehouse expenses, the Manages would get a kick-back from the
banks -- if ever bailed-out -- and this would force Companies to buy-back-Stocks instead of hiring people
to make the company look stronger. DVD's are now being made in Blu-Ray .. which won the "HD" wars.
6) 2008 - 2010. Who-ever gets elected can not be expected to solve any issues concerning high unemployment
because they will through millions of dollars at banks instead of taring-down-the-walls of over-packed-warehouses
and say that they-are-creating-jobs by Paying People. ( governments never made any sense to anyway!! )
System 7 has forced people into using a more reliable PC Platform for $29,95; Mac's OS-X for Intel. ^___^ hehe.
Video Editing has not changed from the 1993 days .. well, ok; the pictures are bigger than 320 X 240 today, but
they still fill our hard-drives when we Edit things! Uploading what we have snipped-together has returned as
an issue .. with everyone screaming Copy Right Infringement. Ghost editing AviSynth is the norm .. .. .. ??? .. Hey -- --
almost 17 years have passed and nothings really changed around here! ... 8-) :asd: :rofl: :up:

.. so, like .. .. what's the problem????

Anicsi
Org Profile

Post by Anicsi » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:44 pm

I haven't been very active here myself for a while, but regarding the problems I pretty much agree on what Vivali said. I think the main issue here is our 'reputation'. We're regarded as being elitist. That's a matter of fact. I have a lot of friends who are editing who don't come here because they don't like the atmosphere, that amvs are analysed into detail rather than just enjoying them, even if they have flaws. Every great piece of art has its flaws, that's what makes it unique. And especially newbies who would just want a word of encouragement instead of a page's 'constructive criticism' may feel out of place here.
I am not saying this kind of criticism is wrong. I appreciate every hint i can get, i may agree or disagree on opinions about my videos, but how are new editors supposed to deal with that kind of feedback?
To make it short: I come here to talk about 'serious' amv-making, about contests, conventions and to ask for competent help when it's needed. To have fun, I go to youtube.
It's not only the way the community works, it's also the site itself, youtube is a internet platform with millions of visitors, technical support and tons of videos. You cannot expect the org to become a place like that. I don't know, maybe i just don't see the problem here, i would just like to know into what kind of place you'd want to turn the org.

Pwolf
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:00 pm

Anicsi wrote: i would just like to know into what kind of place you'd want to turn the org.
Exactly. What does the community want the org to accomplish? We can't be everything.

DriftRoot
Org Profile

Post by DriftRoot » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:44 pm

I'm going to say the first thing that came to mind: what I've always relied on the .Org to provide is a set of standards for the AMV hobby. This runs the gamut from the most basic belief in using quality footage to more abstract concepts like "originality" in an AMV. Yes, topics like this have been discussed and debated almost to death over the years around here, but I'd rather those discussions continue to be had than dismissed as irrelevant, or relegated to a platform like the 'Tube which - as has been pointed out - exists pretty much just to show off content.

To this end, I'd agree that the .Org's presence at cons is a help. But it's not just in the form of posters or flyers or business cards. It's in the presentation and explanation of quality videos, the ability of panelists, contest organizers AMV room admins. etc. to represent the values and knowledge of the .Org. Not saying the public face of AMVing belongs exclusively to the .Org alone, but it does benefit this site if the .Org's public image is consistently positive and authoritative on matters of AMVing.

Return to “Site Announcements”