Definition of Anime for AMVs - Feedback

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Re: Definition of Anime for AMVs - Feedback

Post by JaddziaDax » Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:41 pm

Most of the kiddies on Gaiaonline and Youtube call Avatar: The Last Airbender anime O.o but they are kiddies...

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:15 pm

I need to clarify my position. I do not think Avatar or Teen Titans fall into the serious debate category. I'm speaking more to people who seriously describe themselves as mangaka.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:58 pm

But my miko... I even use ink... well? no?

buhuhuhu

/runs away crying

EvaFan
Org Profile

Post by EvaFan » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:50 am

The rules are fine, there are always other places to upload and host anyway for other animation sources + blog etc for getting the word out. Besides we've had these rules for a very long time, they mines well be commandments.

Slightly off topic (sorry, if you don't want it discussed just remove it):

An easy work around for everyone would be a "Derivative Works" thread or something along those lines where editors can showcase other works they've done that aren't for the rules. Arashi already suggested this but I don't think it should be limited to live-action. It's not like it would hurt the site any since they won't have to be cataloged or anything. Might need a dedicated mod who can watch the thread more closely and a sticky at the top with general posting rules that could be debated on but nothing serious since it's pretty much just another announcement thread. I just don't see a reason for it to be exclusive to the donator thread.

Or if you really want to keep it simple with benefits allow donators to create threads in the "Derivative Works" thread only but allow nondonators to view them. It would be great if they could comment if that is possible just not create threads though even if they can't comment they could PM or some other alternative if they are that inclined to let them know about their thoughts. An initiative way to gain donations at the very least.

The links in the thread would have to either be direct download or an approved free hosting site list on the sticky probably. Threads could go through an approval process by the dedicated moderator for that thread before they are public if you want to be extra careful.
"The people cannot be [...] always, well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented, in proportion to [...] the facts they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions, it is lethargy, the forerunner of death to public liberty. What country can preserve its liberties, if it's rulers are not warned [...] that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants."-Thomas Jefferson

Kitsuner
Maximum Hotness
Org Profile

Post by Kitsuner » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:28 pm

I vaguely remember someone telling me a few years ago that certain sections of The Animatrix were not considered anime by the site's definition (specifically The Final Flight of the Osiris and whatever Peter Chung's bit was called), so they're only legal to list if used in combination with other sources (usually other Animatrix segments).

Is this correct?
OtakuGray wrote:Sometimes anime can branch out to a younger audience and this is one of those times where you wish children would just go die.
Stirspeare wrote:<Stirspeare> Lopez: Vanquish my virginity and flood me with kit. ["Ladies..."]

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:29 am

I personally consider all Animatrix segments to be anime, just like Tekkonkinkreet is despite having an American director. Org definition however might somehow cut them away... although I doubt. They have all been confirmed as anime, though, so I guess you were told incorrectly or something. :uhoh:

Snowcrash
Org Profile

Post by Snowcrash » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:14 am

/discover this thread lately.

So what about the work of Ankama Animation?
It's a french production located in Japan (one of their studio actually) ! They animated Wakfus.

It's usually animated in flash but there was a special episode, Noximilien l'horloger directed by Eunyoung Choi, Michio Mihara (animation director) and Masaaki Yuasa (Mind Game).

And they will co-produce Mutafukaz (french comic) with the Studio 4C.

So I suppose the question about if it's not an anime or not is a bit complicated.
According the current guidelines, Wakfu is a derivative anime because produced in Japan but only broadcasted in France.

About Mutakuaz I don't know yet if it will be released in France or not. I am pretty sure it will in Japan (our french TV productors are too scary to displayed this kind of crazy animation >_> - the comic atmosphere is dark and mind-fucked - ).

But the bordelines between different animation style begin to be unclear ^^

So Vlad, what do you think about that ?

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:37 pm

Based ont he feedback we have made a few changes, most are to games and other media and hopefully will have it up shortly.

As for that particular animation, it would most likely be one that would be looked at on a case by case bases... However, your particualar example may follow on the same lines as Cybersix which was animated by Tokyo Movie Shinsha and NOA but co-production of Canada and Japan...

It depends, if it's a total French production (i.e. they hold all the rights and control it), the it would not be considered anime even if it is done in Japan. Otherewise, this opens to the door a a ton of stuff animated in Japan but not produced by them.

Vlad
Sakura-Con 2013 - 2019, 2022 AMV Coordinator
Otafest 2012 - 2024 AMV Coordinator
Animethon 2003 - 2024 AMV Coordinator

Snowcrash
Org Profile

Post by Snowcrash » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:04 am

Awesome article on ANN by Mike Toole about the definition of what is an anime.
I really advice to read it. Very interesting.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/the-mik ... 2011-10-23

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:08 am

Snowcrash wrote:Awesome article on ANN by Mike Toole about the definition of what is an anime.
I really advice to read it. Very interesting.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/the-mik ... 2011-10-23
That doesn't seem like an article about the definition - more like a veiled argument on why there shouldn't be a definition because he can name so many edge cases that don't fit the mold.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Return to “Site Help & Feedback”