Now help me with my cd burner :p

Shulocc
Org Profile

Post by Shulocc » Tue Jul 16, 2002 11:10 pm

Alright, close to bedtime. I just got two different threads confused.

Go with jbone on this one. And a tip, when using 98...try to stay away from installing more than one utility after another of the same format. The registry is not self-evolving like 2000 or XP. It just keeps looking for the same files involving one process on your machine...at the same time. That's what the ATAPI error is, it keeps looking to maybe find a subsystem that you may have the other program or programs on.
"Hope is the pain we feel that makes us try again"
-----Chico Science

kthulhu
Org Profile

Post by kthulhu » Wed Jul 17, 2002 1:42 am

How does it do on regular data CDs?
I'm out...

kthulhu
Org Profile

Post by kthulhu » Wed Jul 17, 2002 1:43 am

Never mind,looks like it doesn't do data CDs.
I'm out...

afleetinghope
Org Profile

Post by afleetinghope » Wed Jul 17, 2002 5:57 pm

jbone wrote:Try searching Google for a utility called ForceASPI. I think you may be able to use it to remove your ASPI layer, then install the ASPI layer included with ForceASPI.

If you have Easy CD Creator installed (any version), remove it. In fact, remove all your CD burning software, then remove the ASPI later, then install the one included with ForceASPI, then install the latest version of Nero (and no other burning software).

I have no idea if this will help, but it's the best I can come up with.
I tried the ForceASPI before when you tried to help me, but I'll try it again with uninstalling Nero.

And I pretty much got a whole new computer, so I installed 98 when I got my 40gb, Motherboard, etc..

afleetinghope
Org Profile

Post by afleetinghope » Wed Jul 17, 2002 6:18 pm

Tried it, still getting the same error.

Sinime
Org Profile

Post by Sinime » Thu Jul 18, 2002 11:58 pm

How new is your burner? Has it ever worked? It could be bad. Could have a crimped cable - but I think it wouldn't work at all in that case.

Shulocc
Org Profile

Post by Shulocc » Fri Jul 19, 2002 3:29 pm

I don't get it, do you have your burner on a seperate IDE cable? Sometimes, and depending on the brand, a burner will not work while on the same cable as the ROM. It will become quite unstable. By "unstable" I mean it may burn one day and not the next. It may not recognize the CD or you may end up with horrible background noise. Other than that I'm clueless.
-----Chico Science

Shulocc
Org Profile

Post by Shulocc » Fri Jul 19, 2002 3:29 pm

I don't get it, do you have your burner on a seperate IDE cable? Sometimes, and depending on the brand, a burner will not work while on the same cable as the ROM. It will become quite unstable. By "unstable" I mean it may burn one day and not the next. It may not recognize the CD or you may end up with horrible background noise. Other than that I'm clueless.
-----Chico Science

afleetinghope
Org Profile

Post by afleetinghope » Fri Jul 19, 2002 4:43 pm

It's never burned data cds, but since it was the 3rd burner (and 3rd different brand) that I had tried, I went with it since I thought it was a problem with my system, and it probably is.

And the burner is on the secondary IDE chain with the DVD-ROM, CDR is master.

Shulocc
Org Profile

Post by Shulocc » Sat Jul 20, 2002 8:31 am

Eeeeeek!!! Get it off there! That could very well be the problem. Try switching them out and see what happens.
-----Chico Science

Return to “Hardware Discussion”