Orphan Frames: They're everywhere!

For help and discussion concerning Magix's (formerly Sony's) Movie Studio and Vegas Pro editing software.
certainmuse
Org Profile

Orphan Frames: They're everywhere!

Post by certainmuse » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:00 pm

I've been trying to find a solution to this problem for ages but I haven't been able to find the right term for it to know how to ask what to do. I have a few questions regarding orphan frames:

Are there other terms for an "orphan frame," ie a split second of a frame that inserts itself in a clip as you try to play it? I've tried all sorts of combination of names to see if anyone on the web had solutions: ghost frame, artifact, blip, etc.

I read in a previous thread that someone suggested keyframing and shifting things around to stop the orphan frame from happening but how do I do that?

Unfortunately every single clip I try to input winds up having orphan frames so I have to split each clip into tiny tiny pieces and cut out the orphan frame but it get incredibly tedious when it does it to EVERY single clip. No clip is safe.

The facts:

Editing Software: Sony Vegas 7.0
Ripper: ImTOO DVD Ripper
Computer: Hewlett Packard

I've gotten so frustrated with having to fix orphan frames every five minutes that it makes me never want to vid. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling Vegas to see if that would help but it doesn't. I've spent days, possibly weeks, ripping the clips to make a video and I don't want it to have been done for nothing.

Any help would be fantastic! Thank you very much!

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Re: Orphan Frames: They're everywhere!

Post by Nya-chan Production » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:52 am

Have you made sure you use right FPS and have your resampling disabled?

Those are the most orphan-framish things, AFAIK

HalOfBorg
Org Profile

Post by HalOfBorg » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:38 am

I've had this on those rare occassions when I've used TMPGEnc to render a RM clip to lagarith so I can use it. A random frame from somewhere in the clip will show up at the beginning.
Help HalOfBorg fight his cancer - http://www.gofundme.com/21ygdk

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

certainmuse
Org Profile

Post by certainmuse » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:20 am

Thank you for replying!

When I disable the resampling, would that be before or after I ripping a clip? I apologize, I am not as familiar with some concepts as I'd like to be. I usually learn by experimenting with the software, such as with Photoshop, and I have read a lot of tutorials on Vegas but apparently I have not been reading the right ones.

I've seen the disable resampling function when I bring up the clip properties and I think I have unchecked it before in Vegas but I don't remember it having an effect. I will definitely try it again and see what happens.

As far as FPS goes, what would be the ideal FPS speed, lower or higher? Would this be also something to nip in the bud by just putting in a specific FPS while ripping from the source if possible? I've tried changing the FPS on the clips individually in Vegas, as well as in the rendering stage.

When it comes to the rendering stage it does not like the orphan frames at ALL. It usually just freezes the clip on that orphan frame and will not show anything else. I've tried messing with the FPS under options on the rendering window and it hasn't helped much. I have tried to do it individually but I must not have picked the right FPS speed.

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:33 pm

Disabling resample should be done for all the clips on the timeline after you place them (and then recheck they show just what you need). There is a script to turn it off for all clips, might dig it out.

As for FPS, you should look up the FPS of the source and everything you do (like preparing the lossless, editing, etc) should be in that fps. Most of the times it will be 23.976 or 29.97 decimated to 23.976 (and you'll use 23.976 again)

If the frames still appear, you better give us some specs about the source and screenshots of it happening ;>

Glad to be of help (I hope)

certainmuse
Org Profile

Post by certainmuse » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:42 pm

I will definitely try those when I get home!

I'm excited to see how it goes. I've been dying to vid for ages but the orphan frame bonanza has seriously put a hamper on things. I managed to do one video but it took me about two weeks what would've taken about three days trying to fix all the orphan frames.I'd fix one part of the clip, then it'd pop up in another spot on the same clip even when I tried cutting the clip into tiny tiny pieces.

I'm somewhat unfamiliar with what lossless means however I just found A&E's technical guide so I will also be doing some homework.

If all this doesn't work I will definitely do a followup, but I will let you guys know either way. I hope it's not an error with the program itself.

Thank you very much for all your input! Just an idea of where to try to start is wonderful. It's been driving me up the wall for the longest time.

certainmuse
Org Profile

Post by certainmuse » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:55 am

I am SO sorry it took me so long to reply. A ton of things happened at once and I wasn't able to try out what you guys had recommended until a couple of days ago.

Anyway, I tried disabling resampling and changing it to 23.976 and it worked!

On one or two clips it'll do the orphan frames again but it will stop once a shut down Vegas and restart. Or, if all else fails, I change the playback rate to 1.5 and snip off the extra frames it will take care it.

Thank you guys so much for your help!

dreamawake
Prodigal Pen-Throttle
Org Profile

Post by dreamawake » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:01 am

Convert your footage to a lossless video codec such as Lagarith to remove all orphan frame possibilities.

Return to “Movie Studio & Vegas Pro”