Interlacing problem

rpm77
Org Profile

Interlacing problem

Post by rpm77 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:43 pm

Finished editing an Advent Children (I know, I know, yet another) vid for YaoiCon, but when I sent it to a friend of mine for review he said he saw interlacing at specific points in the video. It's a problem for me because I took care of the interlacing in pre-processing (or so I thought) and none of my computers (which are, admittedly, old) show what he sees. I've tried playing the vid in different players (VLC, media player classic, windows media player, zoom) and I still can't spot any.

I use the AMVapp and Adobe Premiere 6.5 for editing with an AVI clip made using lagarith codec. Followed the steps in the Guide for pre and post processing.

Unsure what to do. I can't fix what I can't see.

Stats on my computers:
CPU = Intel Centrino Duo T5250 1.5GHz 1500Mhz, 2.0GB of RAM
Video = Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family
Operating System = Vista

CPU = Pentium(R) 4 3.00GHz 2.99GHz, 3.11 GB of RAM
Video = Intel(R) 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family
Operating System = XP

CPU = Mobile AMD Athon(tm) 64 Processor 3400+ 2.20GHz, 1.50 GB of RAM
Video = ATI Mobility Radeon 9600/9700 series
Operating System = XP

Stats on his (sorry for it missing some info):
CPU = Intel Core 2 Duo P8600,
Video = nVidia 9600M GT
(forgot to ask him his operating system)

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Re: Interlacing problem

Post by Kionon » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:52 pm

Tell him to send you screencaps, because interlacing is one of those issues that, if it's there, you should be able to see it to. He might be talking about something else, and so you are having a disconnect of terminology.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

rpm77
Org Profile

Post by rpm77 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:55 pm

Ahh, didn't think of that in the midst of freaking out. Will do. Thanks.

rpm77
Org Profile

Post by rpm77 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:38 pm

Got back in touch with the friend who saw the interlacing. I asked for screencaps but he said:

f*: wow... when I go frame by frame... it only shows about 2 or 3 frames interlaced
f: And to make things worse, it appears intentionally done as part of the source material
f: this is true for every single place I saw interlacing.
f: It looks to have been an encoder artifact from the original encode of the video stream, and not one you added or could possibly find a way to remove in editing

These are the frames he's talking about, in sequence:
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff28 ... f/ff71.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff28 ... f/ff72.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff28 ... f/ff73.jpg

Which is easily fixable, I think. When I pressed him for caps of the section he said contained massive interlacing (later in the vid), he said that section looked clean now.

So... yeah. Paranoid.

*Shortened his IM tag down to the first letter to protect his identity. Plus it's an appropriately expressive sound of how I feel at the moment.

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:26 am

I think the issue might be that you exported interlaced, so while you might have took care of the input, the output still has the issue due to that. Try checking your export settings.

rpm77
Org Profile

Post by rpm77 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:52 am

mirkosp wrote:I think the issue might be that you exported interlaced, so while you might have took care of the input, the output still has the issue due to that. Try checking your export settings.
Checked. Doesn't seem to be the problem. But thank you, I hadn't thought of that.

I also opened the vid in VirtualDubMod and went through frame-by-frame, but the only problem I could see that could be due to interlacing was the frame capped above. I went back to premiere and cut the frame out so that's gone.

Given that now even *he* can't see what he saw anymore (with the same copy of the vid originally sent to him, not the one I just tweaked) I'm wondering if I should just... risk it and live in abject paranoia for the next month or so. (convention's in October)

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:04 am

Then I would guess it was a problem on his side. As far as that frame is concerned, it's a flash, and field matching can fail somewhat easily on fades, flashes, and such things (this is assuming the flash was in the source, which I would believe is the case here), so it might very well be an isolated case.

Return to “Video & Audio Help”