Low diskspace...what am I to do?

danielwang
Village Idiot
Org Profile

Post by danielwang » Mon Jul 15, 2002 5:51 pm

rent a hard drive from Frys, etc. simply buy one and return it, or if you are a bad boy just steal one... no not shoplifting... if you know how to tamper packages and warranty seals open the chassis and change the platters/controller with an old hard drive. Then reshrink it in security wrap its not easy but possible.

I have an 870 exabyte NAS. I'm not joking.

Check to see if your local school/library/workplace/lab/company/cybercafe has a render lab or hd space and good processors,

you can go to kinkos and crack the system and install a trojan, then hide the trojan and your files in a hidden area in the drive loaded by the kernel so you can't see it. Sure they have security and Cleanslate installed, but if you need the bios passwd all you need to do is tell them you need to get an app running (make it look innocent) and get the Bios Password... then boot a disc up.

most universities already GIVE you that stuff, no one bothers to even steal their HD and workstation time as if they provide video tools they will need a compiler farm. borrow some time at their sgi visualization system center, it will be encoded super fast in just an hour or so.

get a fake university id, they come in HANDY.

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Mon Jul 15, 2002 8:51 pm

daniel>> I hope you're joking about that bullshit.

~klinky

Bushido Philosopher
Org Profile

Post by Bushido Philosopher » Wed Jul 17, 2002 12:39 am

klinky wrote:daniel>> I hope you're joking about that bullshit.

Really...that's just.....wrong. :cry:

Bushido Philosopher
Org Profile

Post by Bushido Philosopher » Wed Jul 17, 2002 12:46 am

afleetinghope wrote:If you have a decent job, upgrade (pricewatch.com is very handy). If you don't, do what ErMaC said.
Hehe....i'm not even legal yet to get a job. :oops:

Actually now that I think about it....the amount of stuff I know about video and computers is kinda scary for my age (15)... :shock:

hopelesswarrior
Org Profile

Post by hopelesswarrior » Wed Jul 17, 2002 12:53 am

you could probably get a job at a restuarant as a dish washer. I did.

be careful though they use some real strong detergent

Bushido Philosopher
Org Profile

Post by Bushido Philosopher » Sat Jul 20, 2002 2:58 am

hey, i found some great stuff at outpost.com (Fry's Electronics store) and at newegg.com.

but the problem is i dont know what to get. should i go for the full 120 or just stick with 80 or something? :?
"Many people want to change the world, but very few even consider changing themselves."
<<A>My Member Profile</a>> <<A>Read my Xanga</a>>

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Sat Jul 20, 2002 4:02 am

Bah to outpost.com

<a href="http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.a ... 1">Samsung 80GB 7200RPM @ $92</a>.

Newegg.com is really good. I've ordered tons of stuff from them, including that model of hard drive. Works great.

~klinky

FirestormXIII
Org Profile

Post by FirestormXIII » Sat Jul 20, 2002 9:47 pm

I need to get a new HD for my laptop (I'm running on 9GB right now, be thankful you have 18), but laptop HDs don't really come as big as I'd like.

Can anyone enlighten me to external HDs and their pros and cons?

FirestormXIII
Org Profile

Post by FirestormXIII » Sat Jul 20, 2002 9:48 pm

Oy ve, that should have been 18) not 1 8)

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Sun Jul 21, 2002 12:29 am

Unless your laptop comes with USB 2.0,Firewire or SCSI then you're screwed what with getting a external hard drive.

If your computer only has USB 1.1, then you're going to get bottlenecked big time.

Check out <a href="http://www.extremeoverclocking.com/revi ... html">this review</a>.

The first image is the IDE drive hooked directly to a IDE channel. Second is it hooked up through a converter into a USB 2.0 port. Third is it hooked up to a USB 1.1 port.

When hooked to a USB 2.0 port it's about half as being hooked direct to a IDE channel. USB 1.1 on the other hand is over 20 times slower then using a IDE channel.

~klinky

Return to “Video & Audio Help”