Trial by Drowning (call me pink Hayes =P)

This forum is to announce newly created/released anime music videos.
Forum rules
Please observe the following unique rules for this forum:
  • All announced videos must have a corresponding entry in the AnimeMusicVideos.org database.
  • You may only make one new thread per week. If you have multiple videos to announce, either wait a week or add them to the same post.
Users that do not follow these rules may have their threads locked or removed without notice. It is recommended that all users read the sticky topics in this forum before posting.

Re: Trial by Drowning (call me pink Hayes =P)

Postby CastielTheFallen » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:17 pm

ExSphere wrote:too long.

Image
Image
DZ|BSP
User avatar
CastielTheFallen
Prodigal Pen-Throttle
 
Joined: 17 Apr 2006
Location: Nowheresville, NJ
Status: Sick & Uninspired

Re: Trial by Drowning (call me pink Hayes =P)

Postby pink haze » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:23 pm

-Reda- wrote:An editor who actually takes an audience oriented approach to their work? Let's be friends.

Do let's. ^^
Here is my rationale. Art is a form of communication, which is audience-oriented by definition. If it doesn't somehow speak to those who see it, it fails in its primary objective.

Since you brought it up, and I feel like talking...
This is slightly referenced in my comments; when I started planning this, I divided my audience into three--people who know nothing about Casshern Sins, people who know its basic premise, and hardcore fanatics who know it inside out. The idea was for me to make the video in such a way that it would have three different layers of meaning, one for each audience. (And if I'm the only one in the last category, that's fine... T_T)

I hope people who never watch the series will be entertained to their satisfaction. And perhaps, if anyone really is moved to check out CS because of this vid, the additional layers will be unlocked for them. ^^

Dr.Dinosaur wrote:I remember recieving a beta for this.

The final turned out fantastic.
I'm not normally a big fan of semi-transparent overlays, but the way you used them in this video really helped set and keep the mood, and it fit perfectly with the rising and falling in the tone of the music.

I liked this video, and I think anyone looking for a well put together dramatic piece will also enjoy this.

Thank you. ^^

(And thanks Ileia, Otohiko & Kazemon15 for beta-testing as well. I admit I largely ignored everyone's sound advice, but the moral support was indispensable.)

AimoAio wrote:Gotta check out this anime sometime, definitely looks interesting. :asd:

Every time someone says this my heart goes pit-a-pat.

CodeZTM wrote:I remember seeing a really early beta for this and being really underwhelmed by it. I saw it today, and I was SHOCKED to see how far it had come.

Oh, you watched that thing? :sweat:
You may find this interesting: I still have that roughly 2-minute beta, and it is virtually identical to the final. The major change that took place between then and now is I remastered the footage from watermark-ridden raws to blu-ray rips.

Seeing the ending helped, ne? Well, I'm glad you changed your mind.

Mastamind wrote:Awesome work here :up:
Although I haven't yet fully digested the majority of the story (I haven't seen the source, but I'll have to after watching this video), this has to be some of the best editing I've seen in an AMV. Everything, from the overlays to the beat synch and colors, flowed amazingly well. I've watched this over and over again and I only enjoy it more every time.

Wow, what a compliment. Thank you.

ExSphere wrote:I definantly see a lot of -cross- inspiration in here. At 4:40 that effect was taken straight from system bug. But it worked just as effectively in this.

=/ -Cross- doesn't hold the copyright on that effect. Blame! does. Woops, I completely forgot to put Blame! on the additional anime list. :uhoh: Fix'd!
~Edit~ << I forgot Cossette and Advent Children too. Double fix'd!

ExSphere wrote: This video to me felt like the vision through the main characters helmet. As if he was going through his memory as he was drowning. The beginning and end being the most computer oriented parts and the scatterd tv glitches through out the video.

I'm so pleased to see that you picked up on that. ^^
Spoiler :
Casshern's a robot, he is.

Arashinome wrote:
ExSphere wrote:too long.

Quoted Image converted to link:
http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/1863/carlpalm.jpg

Too long is just another way of saying 'not entertaining in its entirety,' which is a valid complaint.

...Someone go tell *inverse* someone made another Darren Hayes vid.
User avatar
pink haze
 
Joined: 09 May 2008
Location: T E X A S

Re: Trial by Drowning (call me pink Hayes =P)

Postby Vanity » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:27 pm

Best ive seen this year. man this had awshm emotion which almost made me cry becuz the song and editin' went verry well together.
loved it :up:
User avatar
Vanity
 
Joined: 28 Dec 2007
Location: Everywhere, yet no where
Status: XIII

Re: Trial by Drowning (call me pink Hayes =P)

Postby -Reda- » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:51 am

pink haze wrote:
-Reda- wrote:An editor who actually takes an audience oriented approach to their work? Let's be friends.

Do let's. ^^
Here is my rationale. Art is a form of communication, which is audience-oriented by definition. If it doesn't somehow speak to those who see it, it fails in its primary objective.

Since you brought it up, and I feel like talking...
This is slightly referenced in my comments; when I started planning this, I divided my audience into three--people who know nothing about Casshern Sins, people who know its basic premise, and hardcore fanatics who know it inside out. The idea was for me to make the video in such a way that it would have three different layers of meaning, one for each audience. (And if I'm the only one in the last category, that's fine... T_T)

I hope people who never watch the series will be entertained to their satisfaction. And perhaps, if anyone really is moved to check out CS because of this vid, the additional layers will be unlocked for them. ^^

Image
*sips tea*
User avatar
-Reda-
 
Joined: 13 Feb 2007
Location: Pomeroy, PA
Status: Pretentious

Re: Trial by Drowning (call me pink Hayes =P)

Postby CastielTheFallen » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:31 am

pink haze wrote:
Arashinome wrote:
ExSphere wrote:too long.

Quoted Image converted to link:
http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/1863/carlpalm.jpg

Too long is just another way of saying 'not entertaining in its entirety,' which is a valid complaint.

...Someone go tell *inverse* someone made another Darren Hayes vid.

Perhaps, however, it seems to me that the average attention span of typical viewers is deteriorating at an alarming rate. It's as if finishing a song is a bad thing nowadays, like editors/viewers today have worse fucking A.D.D than a 6 year old on a xanny bar.
Image
DZ|BSP
User avatar
CastielTheFallen
Prodigal Pen-Throttle
 
Joined: 17 Apr 2006
Location: Nowheresville, NJ
Status: Sick & Uninspired

Re: Trial by Drowning (call me pink Hayes =P)

Postby ExSphere » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:07 am

Arashinome wrote: editors/viewers today have worse fucking A.D.D than a 6 year old on a xanny bar.


ok Beowulf, but there is about 50 seconds of this video I would take out simply because it doesn't say anything the rest of the video didn't already say. It's not my attention span it's simply the fact that it's not necessary.
Kind of like the how extremely long the wedding scene was in the deer hunter. Still a great movie, that scene just needs to be chopped a bit.
User avatar
ExSphere
 
Joined: 03 Feb 2007

Re: Trial by Drowning (call me pink Hayes =P)

Postby -Reda- » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:38 am

ExSphere wrote:
Arashinome wrote: editors/viewers today have worse fucking A.D.D than a 6 year old on a xanny bar.


ok Beowulf

Image
*sips tea*
User avatar
-Reda-
 
Joined: 13 Feb 2007
Location: Pomeroy, PA
Status: Pretentious

Re: Trial by Drowning (call me pink Hayes =P)

Postby pink haze » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:03 pm

Vanity wrote:Best ive seen this year. man this had awshm emotion which almost made me cry becuz the song and editin' went verry well together.
loved it :up:

I'm glad you like it! XD
(It's true, I dream of making people cry, though I don't claim to be that skilled quite yet.)


:aimkissyface: Why hello there, handsome.

Arashinome wrote:Perhaps, however, it seems to me that the average attention span of typical viewers is deteriorating at an alarming rate. It's as if finishing a song is a bad thing nowadays, like editors/viewers today have worse fucking A.D.D than a 6 year old on a xanny bar.

Maybe so, maybe so.
Personally, I like my literature long--novels, movie trilogies, old PS RPGs, songs that run on 7 minutes, and AMVs too. Can't say this applies to my own work though (I'm a slow editor, and I don't have that kind of free time).

ExSphere wrote:ok Beowulf, but there is about 50 seconds of this video I would take out simply because it doesn't say anything the rest of the video didn't already say.

Lemme guess...3:45-4:26ish? If you don't get it, I ain't explainin' it. That's the video's business, and if it doesn't do it, then =/ there you are.
User avatar
pink haze
 
Joined: 09 May 2008
Location: T E X A S

Re: Trial by Drowning (call me pink Hayes =P)

Postby Pikachew » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:59 pm

Hmm interesting...

/megets

-10 years later-

/me is still stuck to screen....SO MANY COLOURS...
Good job there mate :up:


edit: You're my new hero :')
User avatar
Pikachew
 
Joined: 06 Jul 2006
Location: University of California, Merced

Re: Trial by Drowning (call me pink Hayes =P)

Postby M'o'l » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:43 pm

wah ..beautiful i was a bit worried to see Hayes in song with this angsty anime ...but result is very nice : O.
GO MAGIC CARP USE SPLASH ATTACK.
User avatar
M'o'l
Strawberry Pie
 
Joined: 22 Feb 2007
Location: Sweden
Status: Problem, Officer?

Re: Trial by Drowning (call me pink Hayes =P)

Postby CastielTheFallen » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:14 pm

ExSphere wrote:
Arashinome wrote: editors/viewers today have worse fucking A.D.D than a 6 year old on a xanny bar.


ok Beowulf, but there is about 50 seconds of this video I would take out simply because it doesn't say anything the rest of the video didn't already say. It's not my attention span it's simply the fact that it's not necessary.
Kind of like the how extremely long the wedding scene was in the deer hunter. Still a great movie, that scene just needs to be chopped a bit.

Image
Image
DZ|BSP
User avatar
CastielTheFallen
Prodigal Pen-Throttle
 
Joined: 17 Apr 2006
Location: Nowheresville, NJ
Status: Sick & Uninspired

Re: Trial by Drowning (call me pink Hayes =P)

Postby Falconone » Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:36 am

That video was very interessting, sometimes i thought it was to fast, here i mean the cuts. But yeah a good video. :up:
Image
User avatar
Falconone
get the Punch
 
Joined: 20 Jun 2004
Location: Passau, Germany
Status: the Time of AMVs ends... or not?

Re: Trial by Drowning (call me pink Hayes =P)

Postby Tearx » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:56 pm

I really do love the way you edit
the emotion and atmosphere of everything was right on, I haven't seen this show before, but I still love this vid :up: 5/5
Image
User avatar
Tearx
The Malicious Feline
 
Joined: 05 Apr 2005
Location: OC

Re: Trial by Drowning (call me pink Hayes =P)

Postby kireblue » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:44 pm

You did an amazing job at editing this. The flow and pace were awesome, and you timed everything perfectly. It took me a while to get into the mood of the AMV, and it actually started to drag on a bit, but I feel that it would have been a horrible decision to cut the song. I only wish that you had added subtitles at the end. I really would like to know what the little girl said. I guess I'll just have to watch the show and find out :D
Image
MomoCon AMV Exhibitions Director
Seishun Con Fan Media Director
User avatar
kireblue
 
Joined: 06 Mar 2007
Location: Atlanta, Georgia

Re: Trial by Drowning (call me pink Hayes =P)

Postby pink haze » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:17 pm

Weechaca wrote:Hmm interesting...

/megets

-10 years later-

/me is still stuck to screen....SO MANY COLOURS...

lolol.

Gotta love the way this anime uses color as a directing technique.
...and how, like, every sixth character has pink hair. XD

Milk Or Life! wrote:wah ..beautiful i was a bit worried to see Hayes in song with this angsty anime ...but result is very nice : O.

^^ thx

For those of you who aren't aware, Darren Hayes is from Savage Garden.

Yeah, this is one of his darkest songs (okay, Neverland is darker, since it's about child abuse). That is, if you pay close attention to the lyrics, which, admittedly, I did not do until I'd already laid out the amv's story. For the longest time I had no idea the song was about...
Spoiler :
...a suicide.
A man drives off a bridge into the river and drowns. ;_;

Falconone wrote:That video was very interessting, sometimes i thought it was to fast, here i mean the cuts. But yeah a good video. :up:

Heh heh...that reminds me... When I was working on the 2nd climax I really hurt my eyes. Intense concentration + flashies + semi-legible text + face 10" from screen = headache.

Tearx wrote:I really do love the way you edit
the emotion and atmosphere of everything was right on, I haven't seen this show before, but I still love this vid :up: 5/5

<3

kireblue wrote:I only wish that you had added subtitles at the end. I really would like to know what the little girl said. I guess I'll just have to watch the show and find out :D

Yes, yes you will! All is going exactly as planned muahahahhahah~!
/jk
Thought about subbing it (Monica Rial sounds awesome, but I prefer the sub's translation--otherwise I might have ripped the audio from the dub). But I talked it over w/ Kaze, and concluded that the quote doesn't add anything to the vid (besides a lil curiosity) unless you've seen the anime.

And, well, tiny spoilers. <<
You guys have no idea the adventure it was keeping this as spoiler-free as possible!



If anyone figured out the no. 1 reason it's titled 'Trial by Drowning,' you get a gold star.
User avatar
pink haze
 
Joined: 09 May 2008
Location: T E X A S

PreviousNext

Return to AMV Announcements

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 995Gabber and 3 guests