Trial by Drowning (call me pink Hayes =P)

Feedback on cataloged Anime Music Videos

Moderators: Mol, seasons

Forum rules
Please observe the following unique rules for this forum:
  • Please limit your new threads (not replies) to one per week. If you have several new videos to announce, create one thread for all the videos. (Note: if you forget one you can edit your post!)
  • Offsite links are allowed, but you are required to have a catalog entry for that video as well. Threads announcing videos that do not contain a catalog entry will be moved to the Awaiting Catalog Entry sub-forum and will be deleted in 2 weeks if an entry is not created.
  • When posting announcements, it is recommended that you include links to the catalog entries (using the video ID) in your post.
  • Videos that do not contain anime are allowed to be announced in the Other Videos section and are not required to have catalog entries.
AimoAio
Being elegantly...lazy
Org Profile

Re: Trial by Drowning (call me pink Hayes =P)

Post by AimoAio » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:37 am

I don't know what else to say except it was fucking amazing. :up: And I enjoyed it immensely, a 5/5 from me. <3

-watches again-

Gotta check out this anime sometime, definitely looks interesting. :asd:

dreamawake
Prodigal Pen-Throttle
Org Profile

Post by dreamawake » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:22 pm

Yeah, definitely a pretty good video. Can't say I enjoy the song so much, but I do like what you did with it. It's a unique vision and it's pulled off rather well. Nice job :up:

CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
Org Profile

Post by CodeZTM » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:51 pm

I remember seeing a really early beta for this and being really underwhelmed by it. I saw it today, and I was SHOCKED to see how far it had come. Even better, my loathing of this source has been fixed! :D

That was fantastic! The mood/music melded perfectly together, and the coloring/overlay effects really did a great job matching to the beat of the song. The concept was strong, the editing pulled it off, and I watched the entire thing without losing any interest throughout it. I do agree that it's [in practical terms], a tad too long, but it wasn't something that really bothered me as a judge/viewer, but I can see where some might not like to keep up with it.

I've also got to say... Best Storytelling VCA? Amirite? |:>

5/5

Mastamind
Org Profile

Post by Mastamind » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:04 pm

Awesome work here :up:
Although I haven't yet fully digested the majority of the story (I haven't seen the source, but I'll have to after watching this video), this has to be some of the best editing I've seen in an AMV. Everything, from the overlays to the beat synch and colors, flowed amazingly well. I've watched this over and over again and I only enjoy it more every time.

ExSphere
Org Profile

Post by ExSphere » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:46 pm

Absolutely fantastic! This video definantly has much to say and can be interpreted in many different ways. I definantly see a lot of -cross- inspiration in here. At 4:40 that effect was taken straight from system bug. But it worked just as effectively in this. This video to me felt like the vision through the main characters helmet. As if he was going through his memory as he was drowning. The beginning and end being the most computer oriented parts and the scatterd tv glitches through out the video. My only complaint is that the video is too long. The middle really seemed to drag for me. Other than that this was a spectacular video! 9/10

dreamawake
Prodigal Pen-Throttle
Org Profile

Post by dreamawake » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:17 pm

ExSphere wrote:too long.

pink haze
Org Profile

Post by pink haze » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:23 pm

-Reda- wrote:An editor who actually takes an audience oriented approach to their work? Let's be friends.
Do let's. ^^
Here is my rationale. Art is a form of communication, which is audience-oriented by definition. If it doesn't somehow speak to those who see it, it fails in its primary objective.

Since you brought it up, and I feel like talking...
This is slightly referenced in my comments; when I started planning this, I divided my audience into three--people who know nothing about Casshern Sins, people who know its basic premise, and hardcore fanatics who know it inside out. The idea was for me to make the video in such a way that it would have three different layers of meaning, one for each audience. (And if I'm the only one in the last category, that's fine... T_T)

I hope people who never watch the series will be entertained to their satisfaction. And perhaps, if anyone really is moved to check out CS because of this vid, the additional layers will be unlocked for them. ^^
Dr.Dinosaur wrote:I remember recieving a beta for this.

The final turned out fantastic.
I'm not normally a big fan of semi-transparent overlays, but the way you used them in this video really helped set and keep the mood, and it fit perfectly with the rising and falling in the tone of the music.

I liked this video, and I think anyone looking for a well put together dramatic piece will also enjoy this.
Thank you. ^^

(And thanks Ileia, Otohiko & Kazemon15 for beta-testing as well. I admit I largely ignored everyone's sound advice, but the moral support was indispensable.)
AimoAio wrote:Gotta check out this anime sometime, definitely looks interesting. :asd:
Every time someone says this my heart goes pit-a-pat.
CodeZTM wrote:I remember seeing a really early beta for this and being really underwhelmed by it. I saw it today, and I was SHOCKED to see how far it had come.
Oh, you watched that thing? :sweat:
You may find this interesting: I still have that roughly 2-minute beta, and it is virtually identical to the final. The major change that took place between then and now is I remastered the footage from watermark-ridden raws to blu-ray rips.

Seeing the ending helped, ne? Well, I'm glad you changed your mind.
Mastamind wrote:Awesome work here :up:
Although I haven't yet fully digested the majority of the story (I haven't seen the source, but I'll have to after watching this video), this has to be some of the best editing I've seen in an AMV. Everything, from the overlays to the beat synch and colors, flowed amazingly well. I've watched this over and over again and I only enjoy it more every time.
Wow, what a compliment. Thank you.
ExSphere wrote:I definantly see a lot of -cross- inspiration in here. At 4:40 that effect was taken straight from system bug. But it worked just as effectively in this.
=/ -Cross- doesn't hold the copyright on that effect. Blame! does. Woops, I completely forgot to put Blame! on the additional anime list. :uhoh: Fix'd!
~Edit~ << I forgot Cossette and Advent Children too. Double fix'd!
ExSphere wrote: This video to me felt like the vision through the main characters helmet. As if he was going through his memory as he was drowning. The beginning and end being the most computer oriented parts and the scatterd tv glitches through out the video.
I'm so pleased to see that you picked up on that. ^^
Spoiler :
Casshern's a robot, he is.
Arashinome wrote:
Quoted Image converted to link:
http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/1863/carlpalm.jpg
Too long is just another way of saying 'not entertaining in its entirety,' which is a valid complaint.

...Someone go tell *inverse* someone made another Darren Hayes vid.

Vanity
Org Profile

Post by Vanity » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:27 pm

Best ive seen this year. man this had awshm emotion which almost made me cry becuz the song and editin' went verry well together.
loved it :up:

-Reda-
Org Profile

Post by -Reda- » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:51 am

pink haze wrote:
-Reda- wrote:An editor who actually takes an audience oriented approach to their work? Let's be friends.
Do let's. ^^
Here is my rationale. Art is a form of communication, which is audience-oriented by definition. If it doesn't somehow speak to those who see it, it fails in its primary objective.

Since you brought it up, and I feel like talking...
This is slightly referenced in my comments; when I started planning this, I divided my audience into three--people who know nothing about Casshern Sins, people who know its basic premise, and hardcore fanatics who know it inside out. The idea was for me to make the video in such a way that it would have three different layers of meaning, one for each audience. (And if I'm the only one in the last category, that's fine... T_T)

I hope people who never watch the series will be entertained to their satisfaction. And perhaps, if anyone really is moved to check out CS because of this vid, the additional layers will be unlocked for them. ^^
*sips tea*

dreamawake
Prodigal Pen-Throttle
Org Profile

Post by dreamawake » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:31 am

pink haze wrote:
Arashinome wrote:
Quoted Image converted to link:
http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/1863/carlpalm.jpg
Too long is just another way of saying 'not entertaining in its entirety,' which is a valid complaint.

...Someone go tell *inverse* someone made another Darren Hayes vid.
Perhaps, however, it seems to me that the average attention span of typical viewers is deteriorating at an alarming rate. It's as if finishing a song is a bad thing nowadays, like editors/viewers today have worse fucking A.D.D than a 6 year old on a xanny bar.

Return to “AMV Announcements & Feedback”