Specify

Mastashake
Org Profile

Specify

Post by Mastashake » Fri Jul 19, 2002 8:33 pm

Is there a difference between otaku and fanboys(fangirls). If there is, then what seperates them.

Tawk amungs yesewvs

RyanGlazner
Org Profile

Post by RyanGlazner » Fri Jul 19, 2002 9:26 pm

I've always associated the term "fan-boy/girl" with raving mad people who fixate on one character obsessively. Like the girl (for example) to whom you just mention the name Duo Maxell and she starts raving about how much she loves him and she wants to marry him and give birth to his children and all her screen names involve him (DuoIsMine@aol.com; ILoveDuo@hotmail.com; etc.). An otaku is a more refined breed of obsession. After watching the "Otaku no Video" tape, I'm still a bit unsure of what the actual literal meaning of otaku is, but when used in America I usually just associate it with "fan" but not as intense as a fan-girl/boy. Anyway, there's my $.02

SarahtheBoring
Org Profile

Post by SarahtheBoring » Sat Jul 20, 2002 1:16 am

*concurs*

"Fanboy/girl" always had a general romantic/crush/sexual connotation for me, whether it's for one character only, or more than one.

"Otaku" on the other hand, to me, suggests obsessive in the manner that "rabid fans" of anything are stereotyped as being obsessive: buys truckloads of stuff, nitpicks things, is rabidly defensive, etc.

Its literal meaning, as far as I know, is "obsessive fan to the point of never going outside". It's not a good thing originally, you wouldn't brag about being an "otaku" as anime fans in the West do.

RyanGlazner
Org Profile

Post by RyanGlazner » Sat Jul 20, 2002 1:23 am

That's what I got from the video. The word seems to have changed meaning this side of the ocean.

Rozard
Org Profile

Post by Rozard » Sat Jul 20, 2002 1:29 am

My definition of the words differ from yours. While I agree that fanboys/fangirls (usually) have sexual crushes on their favorite characters, they also believe that the character/anime they are infatuated with is superior to any other in every way imaginable. Example:
RaNdUmBdbzFREAK wrote:d00d!! DBZ r00lz!! G0ku whups!!! All other shows SUK!!!
So it's not just a sexual thing, it's a superoity complex.

As for otaku, I'm aware of the literal definitions and all, but I just see it as someone who's a fan of anime. I rarely use the word even, because people either (1.) Don't know what I'm talking about, or (2.) Presume I'm a fanboy. I'll just say, "I like watching anime. You know, anime! ....Japanese cartoons? Yeah, those. Anime. Yeah, I like that."
RichLather: We are guests of this forum, and as such we do not make the rules.
BishounenStalker The freedom to suck is what makes the Internet rock.

RyanGlazner
Org Profile

Post by RyanGlazner » Sat Jul 20, 2002 1:42 am

I didn't mean to say that it was only sexual. I meant that the person obsesses over the one character (or pairing) to the point of insanity or quite close, whatever form that takes. I'm pretty much with you on the "otaku" thing. I don't think I've ever actually said the word in any conversation, now that I think about it.

kthulhu
Org Profile

Post by kthulhu » Sat Jul 20, 2002 1:42 am

Otaku can range from someone who is fairly deep into anime,to the point that it is a major part of who they are,to one level below raving fanboy,in my opinion.Rozard's fanboy description does describe many fanboys well.
Then there are the general fans and admirers,who like anime,but lack obsession with it.
I'm out...

Rozard
Org Profile

Post by Rozard » Sat Jul 20, 2002 2:26 am

*Bows* Thanks kthulhu! I didn't mean to offend you there, RyanGlazner; my comment was directed more towards SarahtheBoring.
RichLather: We are guests of this forum, and as such we do not make the rules.
BishounenStalker The freedom to suck is what makes the Internet rock.

RyanGlazner
Org Profile

Post by RyanGlazner » Sat Jul 20, 2002 2:44 am

Wasn't offended or anything, just sounded like it needed clarification.

Beefmaster10000
Org Profile

Post by Beefmaster10000 » Sat Jul 20, 2002 5:14 am

So....I guess I am a Fanboy for Washu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D ;d

Return to “General Anime”