DragonCon AMV Contest 2010

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
irriadin
BUBBLES!
Org Profile

Re: DragonCon AMV Contest 2010

Post by irriadin » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:32 am

So I noticed now that if you click on the specific video titles, you can see a breakdown of the judges' scores. How many judges are there? I'm asking because the Action category appears to be insanely competitive at the moment >_>

drewaconclusion
What this is, I don't even...
Org Profile

Post by drewaconclusion » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:29 am

irriadin wrote:So I noticed now that if you click on the specific video titles, you can see a breakdown of the judges' scores. How many judges are there? I'm asking because the Action category appears to be insanely competitive at the moment >_>
Seems kind of bizarre that they're showing the judge's scores; especially before the contest even takes place.
ImageImage

irriadin
BUBBLES!
Org Profile

Post by irriadin » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:35 am

drewaconclusion wrote:
irriadin wrote:So I noticed now that if you click on the specific video titles, you can see a breakdown of the judges' scores. How many judges are there? I'm asking because the Action category appears to be insanely competitive at the moment >_>
Seems kind of bizarre that they're showing the judge's scores; especially before the contest even takes place.
Yea, I agree. I think this might be a way of figuring out which videos get preference in the screening, because I just re-checked the rules, and they state:
3) Judges and AMV panelists will be chosen before the convention by the contest coordinator. AMV creators wishing to judge the contest should state so on your submission form. If you are not submitting an entry and would like to judge please email at dragonconamv@gmail.com. There will be 6 judges composed of 3 creators and 3 non-creators. Creators can not judge a category they are competing in. All judges must be present at the first showing.
6) The votes of the judges will be tabulated after the primary showing. Some judging may occur after this should there be problems with the pre-convention screening. The judges will make all decisions regarding winners. All decisions are final.

anneke
Org Profile

Post by anneke » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:35 pm

This contest is messed up. The categorys should just have a drop down at the bottom where people pick their favorite or something. I'm going to the convention but do I even need to bother with the contest with the results so messed up. You don't even have to watch the video to vote for them. And if your throwing out videos that people vote to close together, the problem is I watch a group of videos then vote on them, in relationship to each other.

Videos posted later on have less votes, and therefore each vote they get is worth more. Again not very fair either.
http://www.bakadeshiproductions.com
(Stop by for a different Video each month...)

irriadin
BUBBLES!
Org Profile

Post by irriadin » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:49 pm

Looks like one of the action vids had a bunch of bad votes thrown out, but not anybody else? What exactly is the criteria for removing bad votes anyway (besides the "voting too fast" thing)? A little more transparency would be nice... :/

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:06 pm

There's a reason just about every other contest in the AMV world uses a 1-vote per category rule and things like submission deadlines. Of all the possible scenarios, 1 vote per category and defined start/stop dates can be gamed the least (though we still have the VCAs to prove they can be gamed that way as well).
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Nimthiriel
Org Profile

Post by Nimthiriel » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:33 pm

There is no way to 100% prevent poor sportsmanship. If people want to "cheat" they will. We are tracking the votes and making the corrections accordlingly. Please remember this is for Fan Favorite only.

We are adjusting the coding on the site right now in order to make additional corrections that need to be done. The results you see are not a true representation of final results.

Thank you for your patience and support while we make the necessary changes needed to make this the year the best year yet.

Nim

Nimthiriel
Org Profile

Post by Nimthiriel » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:03 am

Here is the official information on how the judging works.

http://www.dragonconamv.com/2010/08/jud ... -it-works/

Hope to see a lot of you in 10 days at the contest!

Thank you,

Nim

HalOfBorg
Org Profile

Post by HalOfBorg » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:53 am

Nimthiriel wrote:The results you see are not a true representation of final results.
I do hope that at least SOME of the current results go unchanged. :asd:

No no, scratch that. I want an accurate result, whatever it is.
Help HalOfBorg fight his cancer - http://www.gofundme.com/21ygdk

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

spk1983
Org Profile

Post by spk1983 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:06 am

HalOfBorg wrote:
Nimthiriel wrote:The results you see are not a true representation of final results.
I do hope that at least SOME of the current results go unchanged. :asd:

No no, scratch that. I want an accurate result, whatever it is.
Agreed, once it's deemed good enough to be shown, I'll be happy...winning stuff is awesome as well though XD.

Return to “AMV Contests”