EXP Con: Video Game and Anime Convention 2010 AMV Contest

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
AnnaMayBelle
Org Profile

EXP Con: Video Game and Anime Convention 2010 AMV Contest

Post by AnnaMayBelle » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:36 pm

Hey y'all! I'm back again this year, bringing you the EXPcon AMV Contest. I was sadly absent from the contest last year, and to kick things off, I have a foreword written by the EXPcon Chairman, Ryan Sweat.
Ryan Sweat, aka EXPConNeverRayne wrote:EXP Con’s AMV contest is back for a third year with much needed improvements and upgrades. First things first last year I kind of fell on my face when it came to the AMV contest. I wanted to wait for some late entries and pushed back the deadline of submission to a week out. Unfortunately things got even more hectic than I could have even imagined a couple days before I was set to go to Jacksonville and I had to stay in Tallahassee until Wednesday. I couldn’t get the videos over to the judges in time for them to be judged appropriately and was left to judge them from my own viewing experiences, hence picking the top 10 in no particular order to give certificates to. That was a disaster that won’t be happening again as we will be closing submissions 2 weeks out and getting them into the judges hands with plenty of time to judge them accurately. We will also be giving away trophies to the category winners as well as prizes sponsored by Movie Stop. I hope we can get a strong turn out like last year for this year’s contest. Thanks for all your hard work and good luck to all!
The EXP Con Anime Music Video Contest is an opportunity for everyone, from amateurs to professionals, to showcase their video editing talent! Anime Music Videos or AMV’s for short, are videos composed of anime and/or video game footage, then set to music, creating a fan made music video. There are different categories and levels (from novice to professional) that you can enter into. Make a video geared towards a certain category or just let your imagination run wild leaving it to the judges to discern the category your video belongs in. Videos will be judged by members of EXP Con staff and the Animebelle.com members AMV critique squad.

Categories
Please note that these categories are only examples and suggested guidelines of the categories that may be awarded in the EXP Con Fall 2010 AMV Contest. Actual Categories will be selected by the judges, based on actual entries received. For example, if no action entries are submitted, or only one or two videos that do not accurately reflect the theme of the category, an award for Best Action AMV may not be presented.

The categories are as follows:
Action
Drama
Romance
Comedy
Parody
Technical
Novice
Pro

Remember these are categories of AMV’s, not specific awards. A Best of Show will be given, and more awards may be added at the judge’s discretion, such as AMV with most Gusto.

Note: “Comedy” refers to comedic AMV’s in all forms, while “Parody” specifically refers to videos of a satirical imitative nature (ie, television commercials, movie trailers, etc.). The Novice Category is open to only editors who have not won a “Best of “award (Best of Show, Best Comedy, Best Technical, etc.). Honorable Mentions are still allowed under the Novice category, and purely internet contests are not counted as official awards. The “Pro” Category is open only to specific editors that have won an award previously.

Rules

All entries must be received by 12:01 am on Friday, September 24th 2010 to provide adequate time for judging.

All entries must have premiered no earlier than October of 2009.

Each entry will be limited to a maximum length of seven (7) minutes.

Only three (3) entries will be accepted per individual.

Entries may not be smaller than 640x480, and may not run at a slower speed than 23.97 frames per second.

The preferred formats for AMV submissions are Xvid (AVI) and MPEG-4, but MPEG-1, MPEG-2, and Divx will also be accepted. We will not be accepting WMV, RM, RAM, RA, or FLV formats. If you need help converting your WMV videos to another format, please use the following guide: http://www.wikihow.com/convert-.wmv-to-.avi-legally.

To ensure that your video plays at its best, please include two seconds of blank footage before your video begins.

Entries will be disqualified for inappropriate content, including but not limited to nudity, graphic sexual content, excessive violence, and excessive foul language. The judge’s decision on disqualification is final, so if you are concerned about the content of your video, please censor it on your own before submitting it. As a general guideline, all entries should fall within an MPAA rating of PG-13 or lower. You can learn about this rating here: http://www.mpaa.org/flmrat_ratings.asp

Submission

Mail-in Submissions should be sent to the following address:
EXP Con AMV Contest
1507 Davis Drive
Tallahassee, FL 32317

Electronic Submissions are also welcomed. We recommend the website http://www.yousendit.com for files under 100mb and http://www.transferbigfiles.com/ for files over 100mb. Please send the file to the email address Ryan_Sweat@expcon.org

Please include in your mail-in submission or in a separate email the following information:
Full Name
Email Address

(For each entry you will fill out the following information)
File Name
Title of AMV
Song Title
Artist of Song
Category
Date Premiered

Good luck, y'all!

ShadowExia00
Org Profile

Re: EXP Con: Video Game and Anime Convention 2010 AMV Contest

Post by ShadowExia00 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:37 pm

when is the actual con??
ImageImage

EXPConNeverRayne
Org Profile

Post by EXPConNeverRayne » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:53 pm

Ok so check it out. The convention is October 8-10, 2010.

I just picked out the trophies we're going to be using for this year, and I am in love with them. It's the glass thing. Anyways, whoever won something last year and will be attending this year, email me at Ryan_Sweat@expcon.org cause guess what? You get a trophy too. I want to make up for the the crappy piece of paper from last year :P

meleechampion
Org Profile

Post by meleechampion » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:50 pm

This is way cool, I am so excited. This year's AFO restored my faith in conventions and AMV contests. I may even come up with something before the deadline.

*concentrates hard*

(mumbling) Must... not... make... generic... TTGL action video...

AquaSky
Master of Science
Org Profile

Post by AquaSky » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:25 pm

I'm hoping to have something new for EXP.

Maybe Aquaman will edit his first. :ying:

ShadowExia00
Org Profile

Post by ShadowExia00 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:26 pm

ok so i plan on goin to the con and i plan on entering a vid for the amv contest, couple questions will they play the amvs at the con? and how much is door admission lol
Last edited by ShadowExia00 on Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

ShadowExia00
Org Profile

Post by ShadowExia00 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:28 pm

AquaSky wrote:I'm hoping to have something new for EXP.

Maybe Aquaman will edit his first. :ying:
i saw your youtube your not bad. theres this one vid that was a little scary because of the song tho but i like the fangirl frenzy one :lol:
ImageImage

EXPConNeverRayne
Org Profile

Post by EXPConNeverRayne » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:16 am

In case any AMV'ers are making the trek over to St. Augustine:

We now have an overflow hotel available.

We have a new Hotel Available for Wayward Travelers! Overflow hotel at the Comfort Suites at World Golf Village. Get your room here now cause the next closest hotel is like 6 miles away.

http://www.expcon.org/location.php

AnnaMayBelle
Org Profile

Post by AnnaMayBelle » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:03 pm

ShadowExia00 wrote:ok so i plan on goin to the con and i plan on entering a vid for the amv contest, couple questions will they play the amvs at the con? and how much is door admission lol
All of the winning videos will be played at the contest, as well as any other entries that we have time to show in the winning block. As for a showing of all entries, I'm afraid I don't know if one is being scheduled or not.

You can find out about admission prices here:
http://expcon.org/registration.php

MaBelle
Org Profile

Post by MaBelle » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:49 pm

I've been told that there will be a viewing for all entries outside of the contest. I'll get back to you when I know the time!

Return to “AMV Contests”