AMV Salad 5: Happy Meal (Nekocon 14, here we come!)

Discussion & organization of Multi-Editor Projects
Squancho
Org Profile

AMV Salad 5: Happy Meal (Nekocon 14, here we come!)

Post by Squancho » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:39 pm

The first three AMV Salads had good years on the previous convention "tours."

AMV Salad 4: TV Dinner has just begun making the rounds, starting with Otakon 2010 (and an audience of over 1200 viewers).

This year's concept:
Happy Meal!
What I wanna try to do this year is go for the gut, making everyone hurt with laughter. I was thinking about focusing on KIDS' SHOWS / SONGS / COMMERCIALS / ETC. Come on - how much fun do you think you can have distorting, twisting, "dementing," even perverting what the young 'uns see and hear? Otherwise, let's all make a bigger, better, badder, bawdier production than last year! Just know that I'm accepting your non-concept clips as well.

The "tour" schedule for this series will remain as follows.
* One video per year.
* Each video will premiere at Otakon
* The regular venues which will host panels, barring any changes, include:
NekoCon
AUSA
Katsucon
Momocon (thanks to KireBlue)
TekkoshoCon
Anime Mid Atlantic
The list will likely expand with the addition of conventions which will place the Salads on their late-night viewing schedules.

FIRST submission deadline: May 1, 2011
Post-production: May 3, 2011 :book:
FINAL submission deadline: June 1, 2011
FINAL BETA: JUNE 15, 2011!!!
FINISHED EDIT DUE: JUNE 23, 2011

Next stop: OTAKON!!!
|:>

The "rules":
* 1. HAVE FUN! BE CREATIVE! Most of all, BE FUNNY!
* 2. No time limit! Please be reasonable, though. ;)
* 3. Your video must meet the standards required for being uploaded to a-m-v.org. Video source must be at least 80% anime. If you use live-action, keep it to a minimum. No extreme graphic violence, nudity, or sexual content. The "PG-13" standard is in effect here.
* 4. Use any and all editing skills at your disposal.
* 5. You can submit as many entries as you like, provided they are all different. Do not submit multiple entries that only have slight variations from each other (unless you contribute to whatever running joke we have planned).
* 6. Please refrain from publishing your clips to Yoo Toobe or other such public video web sites until after the project premieres at the next Otakon (2011 in this case). We kind of want to keep the contents of the final edit a surprise.
* 7. EVERYONE who enters this project will have at least one entry in the final compilation. The catch is you don't want to turn in just one entry and have it be a mediocre video among the other great submissions. Show us your best effort.
* 8. No no NO SUBTITLES! The only exception to this rule is if you inserted your own as a means of parody or left a line in to further express the point of your video. Just make sure that whatever subtitles you leave in run with the context of the sound source somehow.
* 9. NO watermarks of any kind! If you don't know how to remove that thing from playback yet, consult the Help files in the respective program (most often, it's DivX).
* 10. Plagiarism will NOT be tolerated here! If you are found to have submitted the work of another editor without permission and credited yourself with its creation, you will be removed completely from the project AND reported to the 'org admins.
* 11. If you entered a trailer into a AMV contest (whether or not it won) and/or uploaded it to the 'org and wish to have it used in this project, that works as well.
Finally...
* 12. If I see unfulfilled potential in a clip and feel more can be done with it to get the point across effectively (or to make it funnier), I and/or other editors on this project will collaborate with you and we'll discuss the possibilities. Full credit will remain with the original editor after the final result is reached. Anyone who has participated in such consultations will be duly credited as "Associate Producers."

You may also send your unfinished "doomed to incompletion" AMVs for consideration.

And now, for future reference, the answer to the most common question associated with this series:
"What is a production tag?"
Okay, just so we have a point of reference, it goes like this. It's that very brief bit of film / video you always see just before the opening sequence, scene, or credits for any movie. They also appear at the end of every television show (the Stoopid Monkey thing after Robot Chicken or the Bad Hat cartoon after House). Some examples are the MGM lion, Columbia Pictures statue, the Universal Studios globe, etc.

Why do you need to know this? Because I want one from each of you to accompany the closing credits. If you appeared in any of the previous AMV Salads and are satisfied with the one you sent, let me know so I can place it for this one. Otherwise, you have until the beginning of post-production to work on it. ;)

The same tech standards apply to these things, but keep the length to under ten seconds if possible. If you don't have a "studio," just use your 'org name.

If any more guidelines are needed, this list will be modified to include them.

==========
Send all entries to deuceloosely4711@gmail.com
OR
(if your email server won't allow you to transfer large files) send a download link from MegaUpload or RapidShare.
UPDATE:
Apparently, Gmail now has a 25mb file transfer limit. Unless and until I can figure out how to set up an FTP account, I'm gonna need you all to send me your clips through Rapidshare or Megaupload. Send me the download link(s) along with the clip information (editor, audio source, anime) to the same email address.
==========

Technical standards:
Be sure to send the highest quality version of your work possible. If you have the option of using DVD video rather than downloaded fansubs, please do so. Seriously. Go online and download DVD Decrypter and get a video conversion program that handles VOB files. It may be a couple additional steps in the editing process, but having a video with top-notch visual quality is worth the effort.

* File formats which are acceptable are (in this order of preference)
- mpeg2!!!
- avi...DivX, Lagarith, HuffYUV preferred. These codecs are available for free online so there's really no reason for everyone sending in this file format to not be able to stay within this parameter. If you are working from outside the US, please let me know if you foresee any problems with this.
- mpeg1 (if necessary)
- WMV (as an ABSOLUTE last resort - please render as DV-AVI).
Please do not send anything formatted for Quicktime or encoded as divx (the file format, not the codec).

* The final compilation will be shown on full-screen mode when presented, so...
- 720x480 display size,
- a frame rate of 29.97 fps (NTSC),
- Progressive scan (NO interlacing)
- 4:3 aspect ratio
are preferred as a standard for your clips. Also, do whatever you can to avoid the letterbox appearing in the final video. If it can't be eliminated, I'll do what I can to fix it on my end. I'd rather not be placed in that position, but sometimes it can't be avoided. Consistency between clips is also a good idea.

* This project will be rendered in 720x480 resolution. Please don't use source video with resolution much smaller than this or it will look... bad... when resized to fit the display.

* I don't mind if audio is uncompressed. If you, for whatever reason, decide to compress before sending your clip, please use LAMEmp3 (stereo; 128kbps).

(I know this is a lot to swallow, but if my experience with editing AMV Salad 3 and 4 taught me nothing else, again, I learned that CONSISTENCY is top of the order! This applies mainly to visual quality, which is why these standards exist. If we can all keep within these guidelines, the end result will be spectacular...)

For a listing of inexpensive alternatives to Windows Movie Maker, refer to the following link:
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/phpBB/v ... hp?t=61207
(I personally recommend Sony Vegas 7 for those of you hooked on the WMM2 interface). If you're on a low budget, MAGIX Movie Edit Pro 11 or higher is a good option.

Who's hungry again???
Last edited by Squancho on Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:58 pm, edited 18 times in total.
Zenkaikon
AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2013 - 2019)
Asst AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2020 - 2021)

CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
Org Profile

Re: AMV Salad 5: Happy Meal

Post by CodeZTM » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:49 pm

There is so much gold with Spongebob Squarepants with this.

Angelyco
Org Profile

Post by Angelyco » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:15 pm

I don't know if I can truly do "funny" but I'll see what I can come up with this year. I think all 3 of my clips for AMVS4 were just enjoyable, not comedy.
ImageImage
ImageImage

Squancho
Org Profile

Post by Squancho » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:23 pm

Angelyco wrote:I don't know if I can truly do "funny" but I'll see what I can come up with this year. I think all 3 of my clips for AMVS4 were just enjoyable, not comedy.
You should definitely throw something in. Maybe last year's theme wasn't "right" enough for you but this should help you stretch out some. Talk to Nygmatech about getting in on this one. Maybe you both should collaborate? Just a thought. ;)
Zenkaikon
AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2013 - 2019)
Asst AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2020 - 2021)

Jeff
Org Profile

Post by Jeff » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:57 pm

I might do something for fun.

Honou_Miko
Org Profile

Post by Honou_Miko » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:00 pm

What was that about me saying I should stick to comedy?

WOO this makes me happy... appropriately. XD
AKA CurryMuttonPizza

Gaelstrom
Org Profile

Post by Gaelstrom » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:23 am

Angelyco wrote:I don't know if I can truly do "funny" but I'll see what I can come up with this year. I think all 3 of my clips for AMVS4 were just enjoyable, not comedy.
Remember what I said in the AMVS4 thread about 'Slapstick' 'parody' and 'amusing'? You don't have to worry, you can just make whatever is amusing for you. Psych thankfully was recognized by enough people to get a reaction (in fact, cheering), also technically Rubber Ducky and Jamaica aren't designed to be lol funny either, but amusing/enjoyable, and people still liked them considerably. If it weren't for those, there's actually a chance people can be burnt out on slapstick or parodies, so they're an integral mix. Scott actually mentioned how he liked the AMV Hell idea back when it really was people who had made fragmented videos that couldn't be finished well, and if fragments of songs are what you have, then that's what will be amusing.

Anyway, official anouncement of participation and all that jazz. Chances are I'll probably not be submitting as many clips ever again, but who knows. If I get enough ideas that 'make themselves' like AMVS3's did, then I'll be doing as many as I can. AMVS4's were like boxing matches, while AMVS3's were like floating down a river on an inflatable raft by comparison. Haruvi Baadoman took me two and a half weeks, while Fumokrakish took me 4 days including footage searching as well, so I have no idea what happened there.
ImageImageImage

moonbunnychan
Org Profile

Post by moonbunnychan » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:39 pm

I'm definitely in again...I even have a few ideas already, just need to get my hands on the appropriate footage (and do a little bit of quick searching to make sure nobody else has already done them).

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Post by Kireblue » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:17 pm

moonbunnychan wrote:I'm definitely in again...I even have a few ideas already, just need to get my hands on the appropriate footage (and do a little bit of quick searching to make sure nobody else has already done them).
same here. I was gonna make a Halloween AMV with one of my ideas, but since its a lot funnier than scary, I'll save it for AMV Salad 5.

KitBikyuu
Org Profile

Post by KitBikyuu » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:08 pm

haha! finally, i've had something brewing for a long time, now to but thought to reality! definitly sending something

Return to “Multi-Editor Projects”