Avisynth Use on Intel Macs

For discussion on Mac software and video editing on Mac computers.
mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Re: Avisynth Use on Intel Macs

Post by mirkosp » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:14 am

Qyot27 wrote:Of course, unless you're working with one of the few discs that use pulldown, I can't really recommend doing it that way either.
If you have a disc with pulldown you should just ignore flag in dgindex and have fun in avisynth instead, imho... I still think it's more reliable.

Inkwolf
Org Profile

Post by Inkwolf » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:55 am

Kionon wrote:
You need to use DGIndex to index the ripped VOBs, then have the AVS file call the .d2v file. Add filters, check in Vdub, then if satisfied, render out clips, move into .mov, place in editor, and go to town.
Okay.

So, how do I get into DGIndex? When I cdouble-click on the AMVApp icon, it just launches VirtualDubMod. I went into the File Manager in Wine, and couldn't find DGIndex anywhere on the virtual C drive. Doing a Mac search for DGIndex finds nothing on my computer.

Do I need to do a separate AMVApp install for every component program?

Inkwolf
Org Profile

Post by Inkwolf » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:00 am

Never mind, found it!

Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:15 am

mirkosp wrote:
Qyot27 wrote:Of course, unless you're working with one of the few discs that use pulldown, I can't really recommend doing it that way either.
If you have a disc with pulldown you should just ignore flag in dgindex and have fun in avisynth instead, imho... I still think it's more reliable.
Of course. I was simply noting that that's about the only time the VDub option is 'safe' - as even back in VDubMod's MPEG-2 input, if there was pulldown the video was rendered as 23.976fps, not 29.97.

Actually, scratch that, it seems that the modern plugin renders at 29.97 even in the presence of pulldown, unlike its previous incarnation(s). Drat.

The extent of my opening MPEG-2 files in VDub/VDubMod these days is basically just to check that those files I think are only composed of stills really are only composed of stills...then I don't actually have to watch them before authoring. It also helps that I know said files are either pure progressive or pure pulldown, no hybrid or interlaced material.
My profile on MyAnimeList | Quasistatic Regret: yeah, yeah, I finally got a blog

gotenks794
Org Profile

Post by gotenks794 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:51 pm

So who's gonna release an iPhone AMV?
MAC is a cosmetics brand. Mac is the superior computing platform. It's not an acronym.

Bloodworth
Org Profile

Post by Bloodworth » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:42 pm

So I've got a problem here, I have huffyuv AVIs from Windows, I put them on my Mac (10.6.4) and quicktime doesn't recognize them, but MPlayer OSX Extended plays them fine. I've tried using both simple stream and MPEG Streamclip to Save As .mov, and although both programs seem to do this fine, neither one is actually able to display the video within the application. When I import the resulting MOVs into After Effects CS4, After Effects is unable to display the videos either. Am I missing a plug-in or something.....?

Bloodworth
Org Profile

Post by Bloodworth » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:02 pm

EDIT: Disregard the above post, I need to learn how to read better......

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:58 pm

Can you explain what mistake you made? I'm curious to know what you thought the problem was and why it turned out not to be a problem at all...
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Bloodworth
Org Profile

Post by Bloodworth » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:57 pm

The problem was that I couldn't use the huffyuv codec on my mac for any program (MPlayer OSX Extended has built-in stuffs, so of course that played it, but that doesn't help with AE). The solution was that in the first post, one of the first things the OP listed was to install Perian. Bingo, problem solved.

As a side note (at least for me) AE CS4 on OSX can read/use huffyuv in a .AVI container (after I installed Perian, of course), so no need to swap containers to .MOV there.

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:00 pm

I am the OP. :amv:

Also, please report if it stays useful in .avi, as I have said sometimes it'll work in .avi in then later it'll just go all GHFGHFGHFGHF and decide to never allow .avi again.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Return to “Mac Software”