HIGHSCHOOL OF THE DEAD

This section is for the rational discussion of anime on a series basis. Spoilers should be expected, but please be courteous to your fellow users.
Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Re: HIGHSCHOOL OF THE DEAD

Post by Kireblue » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:53 pm

I was a bit skeptical about this show, but after seeing the first episode, I definitely plan on following this for a little while. I think that the series would have been perfectly fine without the unnecessary fanservice though.

Oh and, by the way. Is anyone watching this via The Anime Network. http://www.theanimenetwork.com/Anime/Hi ... DEAD/Watch

Jasta85
Org Profile

Post by Jasta85 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:42 pm

my cousin was going nuts when he heard about this, i was about to read the manga but decided to hold off because of the anime. boobs and blood, always a good combo :)

ZephyrStar
Master of Science
Org Profile

Post by ZephyrStar » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:44 pm

I have a feeling the fanservice is going to ruin this for me totally, but I'll check it out.

Hagaren Viper
Org Profile

Post by Hagaren Viper » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:44 pm

I was kind of excited for this, but the idiotic amount of fanservice in the OP alone makes me want to drop it already.

Meh. Ill watch ep 1 and see how that goes.

EvaFan
Org Profile

Post by EvaFan » Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:59 am

You people complaining about fanservice mines well give up on this now if your bothered by this much, especially if you don't even like the horror genre/subculture. There's quite a bit in the manga (comparably speaking to most anime these days though, I don't see why this much is more problematic then in other animes). Yes it's sometimes annoying but realistically the last thing they care about is their clothes in the middle of a zombie apocalypse. Most of the fanservice so far has been real situations aside from the OP. Most fanservice you see in anime is surreal garbage meant only to attract the otaku culture though you could argue the same is being done here but to me this feels real instead of forced. In the manga I only recall one event that was surreal fanservice garbage involving a bathtub scene that is typical in most anime these days... They might skip that all together for all we know, I hope they do but they probably wont. I'll probably still end up watching that episode since it was short in the manga anyway. I doubt they would blow it up into a full length episode with only 12 alloted.

Anyway the author is a doujin and hentai script creator so seeing him only put this much in it is actually refreshing. I won't say he's done this genre serious justice but he hasn't done it any injustice. From the first episode it looks like madhouse is taking this very seriously. The animation is great, and IMO the OP was amazing. Really diggin the way this is playing out but I'm kinda worried about it only being 12 episodes and the ending is no where in sight in the manga which means the anime will receive the non-closure open ending (claymore, berserk, etc...) or a scripted ending. Just have to wait and see.

I'm loving the realism though, seems like the voice actors are doing a good job so far and the reactions/etc are playing out well. Very much approve of the gore/blood/zombies/fighting too and this is only the first episode :up: .
"The people cannot be [...] always, well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented, in proportion to [...] the facts they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions, it is lethargy, the forerunner of death to public liberty. What country can preserve its liberties, if it's rulers are not warned [...] that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants."-Thomas Jefferson

Hagaren Viper
Org Profile

Post by Hagaren Viper » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:49 am

EvaFan wrote: Yes it's sometimes annoying but realistically the last thing they care about is their clothes in the middle of a zombie apocalypse.
Ironic as the next ep preview had a line to the extent of 'Which is more important, your clothes or your life?' :rofl:

I can understand your point though, it does make sense to see some panties if someone falls down the stairs, is crouching or whatnot...but there's still the fact that it blatantly goes out of it's way to show some of those shots too. And seriously, how can that teacher in the OP keep her balance with those breasts? SHE USED THEM AS PILLOWS.

Ranting aside, I'll probably watch a couple more eps before deciding - overall, the first ep was a fun, bloody romp. The animation and character design is gorgeous, though the main character looks enough like Buso Renkin's main that it;s practically copyright infringement.
guy07 wrote:rofl. Best scene so far was when they students were panicking and it showed on clip of a guy kicking a girl in the back while she's going down the stairs. All i could think was "Hm ... she's probably going to fall, get trampled and end up dying. That's really not the sort of scenario you'd normally associate with a panty shot ..." somehow i chuckled at that. I'm a sick bastard, i know. :nose:
I was rather amused with one part of that scene...all the students panic and run out of their classrooms, trampling each other, fighting each other...then there's a shot of a guy holding a girl in a total rape pose. What was he trying to do there, exactly? xD

Ishbalan
Org Profile

Post by Ishbalan » Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:06 am

Main character is taller than Busou Renkin guy. Also, he has light brown hair, whereas BR guy has bark brown hair with light streaks.

guy07
Org Profile

Post by guy07 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:29 am

Hagaren Viper wrote:
guy07 wrote:rofl. Best scene so far was when they students were panicking and it showed on clip of a guy kicking a girl in the back while she's going down the stairs. All i could think was "Hm ... she's probably going to fall, get trampled and end up dying. That's really not the sort of scenario you'd normally associate with a panty shot ..." somehow i chuckled at that. I'm a sick bastard, i know. :nose:
I was rather amused with one part of that scene...all the students panic and run out of their classrooms, trampling each other, fighting each other...then there's a shot of a guy holding a girl in a total rape pose. What was he trying to do there, exactly? xD
Oh, that means "Hello" in Japanese. He was just socializing.

Sukunai
Org Profile

Post by Sukunai » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:00 pm

My interest was almost unable to measure, then I hear it is saturated in pantsu.

Nope, I have had my years worth of pantsu and titties.

This show just proves even a zombie theme is not special enough to escape a need to make miscreant teens horny.
Anime, one of the few things about the internet that doesn't make me hate the internet.

post-it
Org Profile

Post by post-it » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:53 pm

too simple-minded; I've had more problems than the 3 of them 'just getting
a Big-Mac & Fries!

:down:

Return to “Anime Series Discussion”